Mark burned-in subs

crusher11

16 minutes ago, ebr said:

That assumes a user knows what "burned in" means.

I'll say it one more time.  All of these "fake" subtitle file options are not a good idea.

The scene uses HC (hard-coded) on the filename to do the same. Perhaps they chose this for a reason. I agree putting [Subtitled] or [SubtitlesAlwaysOn] as part of the filename at the end would work too but it will not fill in the subtitle selector. The fake subtitle fills in the subtitle selector.

Spoiler

5.6) Non-English spoken titles with hardcoded English subtitles must be tagged as SUBBED.
        5.6.1) English spoken titles with hardcoded English subtitles present for English spoken scenes must be tagged as SUBBED.
        5.6.2) English spoken titles with hardcoded Non-English subtitles present for English spoken scenes are not allowed, use INTERNAL.
        5.6.3) Hardcoded subtitles added by content creators are exempt (e.g. Alien hardsubs, drunk talk hardsubs, hardsubs due to muffled mic).

11) [ Subtitles ]
    11.1) Subtitles for English spoken titles without foreign dialogue are optional, but encouraged.
    11.2) English spoken titles with foreign dialogue must include a separate subtitle track for forced subtitles.
        11.2.1) Foreign dialogue subtitle tracks must be set as forced and it is considered a technical flaw if not done correctly.
        11.2.2) In situations where the source video stream contains hardcoded subtitles for English spoken titles with foreign dialogue, a separate subtitle track for the forced subtitles is not required.
        11.2.3) If a broadcaster which is primarily English spoken (e.g. FOX, BBC) does not contain hardcoded subtitles for scenes with foreign dialogue in the video stream, then forced subtitles are not required but recommended.
    11.3) Non-English spoken titles without hardcoded subtitles must include an English subtitle track set as forced before it is considered to be an English release.

Edited by speechles

crusher11
3 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

obviously if you obtained your media legally this wouldnt be an issue... 🤣

2021-04-19 21.29.13.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speechles said:

The fake subtitle fills in the subtitle selector.

Which is exactly the wrong thing to do since you CANNOT select or de-select these subtitles.

crusher11

I'm figuring the chances of someone actually wanting to turn the subtitles off are almost zero, so the empty SRT is what I've gone with to this point, but it would be nice if Emby had a way to fill in the subtitle listing with metadata instead.

It would also be useful for anyone who has automatic subtitle downloading set up, which is another benefit of having a blank SRT there.

2 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

It would also be useful for anyone who has automatic subtitle downloading set up, which is another benefit of having a blank SRT there.

Sorry, I don't follow that.  How is having an invalid subtitle selection useful for auto sub downloading?

crusher11

Because Emby sees an English subtitle file there, and thus won't download an additional and completely useless subtitle file that actually does contain dialogue, and then enable it by default, meaning there would be two subtitles on the screen simultaneously resulting in an unreadable mess.

19 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Because Emby sees an English subtitle file there, and thus won't download an additional and completely useless subtitle file that actually does contain dialogue, and then enable it by default, meaning there would be two subtitles on the screen simultaneously resulting in an unreadable mess.

Oh, again, only in the case where you have burned in subs.  Ok.

4 hours ago, ebr said:

That assumes a user knows what "burned in" means.

I'll say it one more time.  All of these "fake" subtitle file options are not a good idea.

I follow and actually back what Ebr has said throughout the post.. adding in a fake actually breaks roper functionality to the end user by presenting an option which does not work.. Therefore its the hoopty-lac with three different rims and four different tires on it coming down the road.. and disappoints the end user.

That being said.. doing this to prevent the download of subtitles for this particular file.. it does present a solution to actually downloading the subtitles by default action of the plugin, which is built for most modern and accepted forms of subtitles which most people and the scene have adopted over the past 15 years or so if I remember right.

Usually TV Rips or DVR recordings in older systems show these subtitles as they do not capture the streams separately... Just like old movies which were broadcast with subtitles and our newer devices offer more compatibility for those of us who are of native language and can watch with normal sound and without subtitles and allows others who do not, to watch the movie and have subtitles so we know exactly what is going on.

Wherever the movie came from ( I also refrain from insinuating, accusations of copyright infringement, piracy - which is the wrong definition.. or anything else because it causes issues, and can be insulting.. even if ).. BUT wherever it came from.. whoever ripped it to a digital format.. did not have concern for any other consideration except for English viewer...presents not compatibility for any other viewer even the Swedish to watch or they would have presented this option.. I would have looked for another copy or ripped it differently.. and found external files.

What if tomorrow I meet the love of my life and they are Japanese...or a friend who understand and speaks Portuguese natively... and they are going to watch my movies with me.. OR without me.. where are my movies capability to take the next step.. to allow normal viewing and extend that courtesy and entertainment experience to them?

This file does not allow for this.. the newer ( current ) system does.

IF in fact it was the only way to ever see this Movie or whatever I had.. then I would probably just put it in and go on.. Options to turn the subtitles off/on are in the player and once you turn them it remembers until you turn them back on.

If no indication is given.. it plays the file and is automatically showing the subtitles.. no harm done.. and is fine for the native language of English which is normally assumed by the user.. so no real bad functionality occurs... 

Next point.. IF I am English speaking and a video has English subtitles ( which is also useful or low level watching.. during the night when other are asleep or w/e... ) they are there but are not selected unless I choose to.. So I have English subtitles downloaded and present, even if.. They are selected by default.. Using the SMART selection in the subtitle section of the user profile...It simply has an option to turn on or off.. or select them before going in to the movie.

Adding into the name announces to everybody they are there.. no extra options.. the downloader will put them there.. but the system selects it for the user until the selection is changed and saved.

Since this is an old type of file.. that does not support that compatibility which is supported on this platform... Making a change going backward after this long would be to degrade the platform with additional code and function..

That being said.. Maybe an option to disable subtitle download inside the Edit Metadata section would be a more viable request to support these types of files.. People who are hanging on to the these files usually have not found a more advanced option or newer version to support it.. and are being forced to keep it and deal.. So disabling subtitle download would take care of one issue.

The next issue is renaming the audio file within the video container.. That literally has to be done at the file level... if it is done.. which would not be something Emby does.. IF it did would only bloat the database... ( Which is bad ). Not only does it trigger download of subtitles.. but is misleading to the viewer when you open the movie details page, before viewing which may cause them to move on.. without subtitles.. as well.

So my suggestion was to add ':English Subtitles' to the name.. next would be an option to stop subtitle download.. or for a user to understand how to turn them off ( If downloaded )