Atmos support news?

TroyKing

TroyKing

Hey guys just wondering if Atmos support is on the roadmap for the Apple TV. I see it works almost everywhere else except the Apple TV 

• 2 weeks later...
vdatanet

Apple TV only uses Atmos EAC3, used in streaming services. Most Atmos content is TrueHD, and that is not supported by Apple TV. If you need Atmos TrueHD you should use another device.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...
Louis93
On 21/04/2021 at 13:20, vdatanet said:

Apple TV only uses Atmos EAC3, used in streaming services. Most Atmos content is TrueHD, and that is not supported by Apple TV. If you need Atmos TrueHD you should use another device.

I have some m4a audio files in Atmos EAC3 (see attached image), but when I play these in the Emby app on Apple TV the receiver does not show Atmos but Surround instead. If I Airplay the exact same file via Quicktime Player from my MacBook Pro to my Apple TV, the receiver does show Atmos.

Then I switched off audio transcoding in Emby, to see if it would work and the audio files still play in the Emby app on Apple TV but still no Atmos on the receiver. With transcoding still off, I tried on my iPhone with my Airpods Pro. In the Emby app on iPhone the audio files play but no Atmos indication in the Airpods Pro menu,  but when I connect to Emby in the Safari browser and then play the same file, there is an Atmos indication in the Airpods Pro menu.

Does this mean Atmos EAC3 is not supported through the Emby App on Apple TV and iPhone?

I also noticed when I switched off audio transcoding in Emby, that the audio files did not play anymore in Google Chrome, I got an error about non-available streams. I think Chrome currently can''t play Atmos EAC3 files and therefore needs to be transcoded by the Emby server.

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.36.22.png

Mulderkekou

I think your problem is with m4a files. If you can, test with mkv 😉

Or mp4. We are looking into improving this. Thanks.