Static IP vs IPv6

Familia Chapin

Familia Chapin

Hi all,

I could use a lesson on how to connect my Emby connect.

I am looking to see how i can abandon my static IP with my ISP ( I know i am being cheap). Is there an IP type that falls between CGNAT and Static IP? I asked MY IP and they said they don't offer that but i was not convinced. They also said They could offer me IPv6 as a way to have a public IP and not be static. WOuld I be able to use Emby connect with IPv6? I think i read somewhere that if I use IPv6, only other machines that use IPv6 would be able to connect. Is that still the case?

Familia Chapin

Thanks for the article! It was enlightening!

I suppose i am still unclear on if my emby devices will be able to connect via emby connect if the server is connected via IPv6 but the other devices are on ipv4.

Is paying for a static ip going to be the best alternative? Ipv6 is free but static ip is a fee with my ISP

So I guess I need to ask the question about WHY all of the questions about the IP address.. are you planning to host a site for someone that needs to be online or are you just doing this in your home.

Either way if your even planning to get a domain name it will not matter.. They are free and a free renewable certificate ( in 90 Days per domain ) is available .. and most of these services comes with an updater that send your IP address to your Domain Host and updates within 2-3 minutes in most cases.. usually immediately.. depending on how often you have it do updates.

As long as your system server is able to get out to the internet, your fine.

Familia Chapin

That is a fair and probably best question. I'm really not a power user or desire anything complicated. I want to use emby and share with my in-laws in another state. So it is out of house. It never worked because my ISP has pensaste IPs. I got a static one which worked fine. But mostly i went static because my work vpn had requested it. They changed vpn and no longer need a static. 

So i am looking to see if there is a way to drop the static and still be able to use emby cconnect the most economical (they charge for static but not IPv6)

Slight side bar (because it may be simple to just keep the static and pay). do you ever have security concerns about having a static ip vs dynamic? I assume your answer might be "that's what vpns are for" lol

rbjtech

To use a dynamic IP address - you have two options -

Option 1 is to use emby connect - this acts as a DDNS server (Dynamic DNS) and redirects to your home dynamic IP.

Option 2 is to use your own DDNS client/server.   There 'may' be one built into your router, or you can run a DDNS 'client' on your emby server itself which updates the main DNS entry on the internet.  There are many free DDNS suppliers out there - you get to choose a sub-name, but the domain part will be theirs as they run the service.

https://dynamic.domains/dynamic-dns/providers-list/default.aspx 

edit - re the question about static vs dynamic security - it's not relevant, as it's the application layer (HTTP/HTTPS) that carries the security element, IP is just the transport layer.   If you are referring to anonymity, then any dynamic IP allocated to you from ISP will be logged - so it is no less anonymous than a static allocated IP.    Any decent VPN will not log the IP they allocate you - so in that regard, the IP is anonymous ONCE THE SESSION has been terminated but you are of course trusting the provider to delete that record/log.

Edited by rbjtech

Familia Chapin

That makes complete sense.

I would like to use option 1 and let emby connect do all the work. But it isn't working when I use dynamic IP. Is emby connect compatible if my ISP is using cgnat or private ip?

If emby is compatible with ISP private ip addresses then i suppose i have a different problem than i thought (it would be back to the drawing board)

rbjtech

You cannot host emby if you are behind CGNAT.

The easiest way to test is to tracert your own public IP.

C:\Users\rich>tracert 1.2.3.4

Tracing route to 1.2.3.4 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  1.2.3.4

Trace complete.

If your response come back in a single 'hop' then you are not on CGNAT, if it has two hops (or more) - then you are likely on CGNAT.

Familia Chapin

That was helpful and leads me to my last (hopefully) question. My ISP offers IPv6 which of course is inherently public. If I were to switch to IPv6, would that be compatible with emby connect and my outside IPv4 devices? I know they are parallel and typically don't communicate. I also know that there is a lot i dont know and as Hxemby001 stated there are even things like tunneling. I know that my ISP would dual stack but the IPv4 would still be CGNAT and would still be a problem.

rbjtech

I've never used IPv6 but the fact you cannot even set an IPv6 address in emby suggests it is not yet supported but the Dev's will need to confirm this.

pwhodges
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I've never used IPv6 but the fact you cannot even set an IPv6 address in emby suggests it is not yet supported but the Dev's will need to confirm this.

I wonder what's going on here, then...

ipv6.jpg.c6e12eb726152db4c4ff45fb22de472d.jpg

My iPhone always uses IPv6 to connect to my Emby, both locally and remote.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
52 minutes ago, cayars said:

Emby works with IPv6

Thanks @cayars - I wasn't sure, hence needing confirmation.

• Like 1