Album Fetch Fails (Automatically) on Foldername, Succeeds (Manually) on Album ID3tag

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

When adding an album with id3tag "Seeking Major Tom" to the filesystem as foldername W:\Music\William Shatner\(2011) Seeking Major Tom,

the fetch is performed on the folder name and fails.

2014-08-16 13:07:42.1543 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.musicbrainz.org/ws/2/release/?query="(2011)+Seeking+Major+Tom" AND arid:a406a684-7c88-442b-836d-3b9b67bbc91d

later when refreshing the album object manually

the fetch is performed against (what i assume is) the id3 tag and works.

2014-08-16 13:21:36.8830 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.musicbrainz.org/ws/2/release/?query="Seeking+Major+Tom" AND arid:a406a684-7c88-442b-836d-3b9b67bbc91d

is this expected behaviour?

psykix

Is the year throwing it off? I have mine named similar but with the year at the end of the folder and enclosed in square brackets rather than parenthesis - MBS ignores anything in square brackets.

Deathsquirrel

Yes, another poster submitted a similar issue with the same format.  IIRC the said that they might add support for that naming convention in a future release but for now year at the front may cause issues.  I'd suggest putting the year at the end.  I don't actually use years in music folder naming but that works on every other type of media so I assume that will work for albums too.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

BATTLE DONKEY

I haven't put all my music into MB yet, but that isn't good news to me cause I've been going thru cleaning up some tags and also adding the year in square brackets at the beginning of the album name I.e. [year] album name.... I like having the albums in chronological order when viewing them in folders.... Hope with these changes MB will still ignore the year in the square brackets

FrostByte

I have the year at the end in ( )'s and it ignores that also, i.e removes it in the name field so it doesn't display in the webview though I can see where some would like it in the front for sorting purposes

Mine

Music\Artist\Album (year)

psykix

I haven't put all my music into MB yet, but that isn't good news to me cause I've been going thru cleaning up some tags and also adding the year in square brackets at the beginning of the album name I.e. [year] album name.... I like having the albums in chronological order when viewing them in folders.... Hope with these changes MB will still ignore the year in the square brackets

Well I have them at the end in square brackets and it works fine so you should be ok :-)

ginjaninja

Naming folders as [%Year%]%Album% (with square brackets) is no problem. Still allows chronologically listing in explorer too....

but i am not convinced this is the root of the issue...and that the naming convention isnt supported...its just....

In one breath MB3 is using foldername to fetch, and then in the next breath MB3 is using what seems like ID3tag...

presumably given the constraint that single albums are placed into single folders, shouldnt? MB3 be using the album ID3 tag to fetch (match album against mbz) 1st time and every time...

edit

maybe the folder has to id'ed by foldername and the file content by id3tag and this is what allows the local metadata to be stored?

Edited by ginjaninja