Server CPU upgrade ( corse vs clock speed)

RDSII64

My current Emby server runs a pair of E5-2680's @2.8 ghtz and 128 gigs of DDR3 and I'm looking to upgrade.
My search has led me to both a pair of E5-2678W V2's @3.4 ghtz and a pair of E5-2697 V2's @2.7 ghtz.
My choice comes down to more cores or more clock speed. Which is the better upgrade for a media server.
If it helps, I run the free version of Emby so there is no gpu transcoding. All the heavy lifting is done by the CPU's

BAlGaInTl

Why the upgrade?  What is your server struggling with now?

Personally, I think cores > clock speed.  But I do all my transcoding in software.

It probably depends on what else you are doing with the system.

Sammy

The real question is, "Why intel?" Ryzen7 is way more bang for your buck at low operating temperatures. If you need more go to Ryzen9 or Threadripper.

My Ryzen 7, 3700x with a GTX 1060 6Gb doesn't break a sweat.

BAlGaInTl
38 minutes ago, Sammy said:

The real question is, "Why intel?" Ryzen7 is way more bang for your buck at low operating temperatures. If you need more go to Ryzen9 or Threadripper.

My Ryzen 7, 3700x with a GTX 1060 6Gb doesn't break a sweat.

I'm guessing it's because the OP can re-use the MB/RAM in this particular upgrade.

It's tougher to compare enterprise grade server hardware with consumer grade hardware.  That's why I think it depends on what "else" the system is doing. If it's just Emby, then yeah... there are a lot of different upgrade paths.

RDSII64
2 hours ago, BAlGaInTl said:

I'm guessing it's because the OP can re-use the MB/RAM in this particular upgrade.

It's tougher to compare enterprise grade server hardware with consumer grade hardware.  That's why I think it depends on what "else" the system is doing. If it's just Emby, then yeah... there are a lot of different upgrade paths.

Yes I want to re-use my MB/RAM. 

Assuming you have a transcoding bottleneck (the only real emby workload using the CPU), then the best bang for your buck by far will to purchase emby premier and a suitable GPU.

It doesn't matter how many cores/threads or fast a CPU is, it is not as fast as dedicated hardware accelerated media decoders/encoders on the GPU silicon.

You can't of course find any GPU's out there at the moment lol, but when they are available at mrrp, then this is your best - keep everything else as is.

• Agree 1
veehexx1
On 08/04/2021 at 10:56, rbjtech said:

Assuming you have a transcoding bottleneck (the only real emby workload using the CPU), then the best bang for your buck by far will to purchase emby premier and a suitable GPU.

It doesn't matter how many cores/threads or fast a CPU is, it is not as fast as dedicated hardware accelerated media decoders/encoders on the GPU silicon.

You can't of course find any GPU's out there at the moment lol, but when they are available at mrrp, then this is your best - keep everything else as is.

i'd agree with this - get premier and use HW encoding.

GPU - i was looking for a few weeks for a nv1050 which seems to be a recommended GPU but even used was more than i wanted to spend out. i actually ended up with a quadro p400. single slot, cheaper than even anything used right now and in stock with various suppliers, since it's not a card in huge demand. only issue i have is 2GB vram so it cant handle 2 or more 4k transcodes.fine for me since i'd either be using a single 4k stream, or 2x >=1080 but vram is definitely something it could affect others.