Roku SW version 10.0.0 Build 4150-46 causes Emby to not work (Beta FW) - Please test beta 4.0.22+

robertxgonzalez
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

pwhodges

Have you checked that the "Remember me" setting in the Emby client settings is still set?  I lost it when fiddling around with versions yesterday, and just setting it again worked fine.

Paul

MasterZin
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

Have you checked that the "Remember me" setting in the Emby client settings is still set?  I lost it when fiddling around with versions yesterday, and just setting it again worked fine.

Paul

Yes, I checked Remember Me.  It has always worked for me until this issue occurred and I had to roll back off the Beta code, now the connection will not persist and requires completely removing and re-adding the server every time I want to access it.

pwhodges
1 hour ago, MasterZin said:

After rolling off the Beta code I am able to connect to my Emby server on my Roku again, but every time I exit to the Roku home screen I'm required to remove the server and re add the server every single time.  Any ideas?

Hmm.  Can't think why it would work for me and not for you...  Sorry.

Paul

1 hour ago, MasterZin said:

I had to roll back off the Beta code

Hi.  What does that mean?  What did you do?

MasterZin
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What does that mean?  What did you do?

It's on the first page of this thread from Ginjanninja

Okay, so you reverted your Roku firmware.  I'm going to edit that post so future folks don't do that and we can ensure our updated app is okay.

Thanks.

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, ebr said:

I'm going to edit that post so future folks don't do that and we can ensure our updated app is okay.

Why do you not want to inform people about how to get out of the forced Roku beta? It seems to me to good customer service to inform folks about Roku's unethical behavior and how to fix it.

I found that one of my Roku Ultras was put on the beta server without my permission. I thank you for both showing me that it could happen and how to fix it if it happened. Both my Ultras are supposed to be on their release server and i never gave Roku permission to put experimental software on my Roku.

I did not know Roku was that unethical. I only want to run Emby's beta but, even there, I keep the release available.

Again; Thank you for the directions as to how to fix this Roku induced bug. I do not think that post should be altered without at least providing a link to the instructions as to how to remove the beta server from a Roku.

Happy2Play

Sure that is a user choice, but that is between them and Roku and has nothing to do with Emby.  All Emby can do is ensure our product works on the Roku no matter the firmware the device is using.

So the best answer would be channel v4.0.22+.

Edited by Happy2Play

pwhodges

I guess I was lucky.  I never got updated to the Roku beta firmware - but when I looked at the secret page it told me that my device was checking the beta server.  I changed that to release, of course!

Paul

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Why do you not want to inform people about how to get out of the forced Roku beta? It seems to me to good customer service to inform folks about Roku's unethical behavior and how to fix it.

Like Happy said, that's between the end user and Roku. I don't have a problem with helping folks out in that way but please request that they try our beta app to be sure it corrects the issue.  If they want to roll back after that, that is fine but we would never even know about these problems had some users not been updated to that firmware.

Cyberbob2021
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Like Happy said, that's between the end user and Roku. I don't have a problem with helping folks out in that way but please request that they try our beta app to be sure it corrects the issue.  If they want to roll back after that, that is fine but we would never even know about these problems had some users not been updated to that firmware.

ID be concerned if I was emby, because this update happening has certainly put me off purchasing as I don't want to buy emby to find out roku wont allow it on there devices anymore, played that game before, and i really want to purchase it, what device should i be running on to avoid this happening again. my gripe is with roku they have already taken my money.

I tried the emby beta version on the ver 10.0.0 and it never worked for me either. 

glad the guys put up and pointed me to a solution fast though, that was not even an emby problem. but it is really though isn't it 

plittlefield

Here's my 2 pence...

...at the end of the day, everyone just wants stuff to work.

How you get there does not matter, but the knowledge is important.

I'm happy to help either Roku or Emby in this quest and as long AS I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON and how to fix things, I'll keep supporting all companies involved.

That's what forums and wikis are for - open knowledge and support.

Keep the instructions.

Stay safe everyone.

Paully

Cyberbob2021
1 minute ago, plittlefield said:

Here's my 2 pence...

...at the end of the day, everyone just wants stuff to work.

How you get there does not matter, but the knowledge is important.

I'm happy to help either Roku or Emby in this quest and as long AS I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON and how to fix things, I'll keep supporting all companies involved.

That's what forums and wikis are for - open knowledge and support.

Keep the instructions.

Stay safe everyone.

Paully

Good points, I may start looking at other options for roku after this, Love emby so much just want it to work on a platform that's not going to turn it off on me 

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Cyberbob2021 said:

I tried the emby beta version on the ver 10.0.0 and it never worked for me either. 

Which beta version as others have reported 4.0.22 works.

Cyberbob2021
10 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Which beta version as others have reported 4.0.22 works.

i installed the beta linked on this post, tried it same issue for me few days back, unless its a newer beta than the one i used 

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, Cyberbob2021 said:

i installed the beta linked on this post, tried it same issue for me few days back, unless its a newer beta than the one i used 

More then likely it was on .20/.21 as beta has updated a couple times since the then.

Roku Beta Release Notes - Roku - Emby Community

Doesn't look like .22 has made it to the list yet.

Edited by Happy2Play
corrected link
  • Like 1

Cyberbob2021
Just now, Happy2Play said:

More then likely it was on .21 as beta has updated a couple times since the then.

Roku Beta Release Notes - Roku - Emby Community

i see. you guys worked fast :) i just needed my main tv going again, thus i only tried the first beta i was sent not others,  im very frustrated with roku not emby in any way.  my love for emby continues to grow :) 

3 hours ago, Cyberbob2021 said:

as I don't want to buy emby to find out roku wont allow it on there devices anymore

Hi.  This issue was not Roku not wanting our app.  It was just a change they made in their new firmware that we had to adjust to.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Cyberbob2021
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This issue was not Roku not wanting our app.  It was just a change they made in their new firmware that we had to adjust to.

Thanks.

Thanks that's good to know, however since I had this issue and went to roku itself, then see just how many people and how many apps was affected, and the fact they decided to use random members as beta testers for firmware which i had no idea about, that's the straw that has broke the camels back for me.  Im going to look at other stick options or build a pc for emby instead, I cant be dealing with Roku pulling stunts like this,  imagine im minding my own business wife yells its not working then an evening or 2 of hell sorting it out. I'm a huge fan of roku upto this point & a new huge fan of emby.  

its reassuring to know you guys was on the case though.  

as soon as im off furlough and getting full wages again, i will be in. as the lifetime memberships seems the one for me :) looking forward to becoming a supporter in the near future, Keep up the good work & thank you for replies and reassurance 

robertxgonzalez

Folks, I am the one who started this post with Emby and Roku.  I have used Emby for years with only minor if issues, all quickly resolved by the aggressive Emby support team.  As the pervious member posted, Roku had some of us on BETA, me included and we did not know and some Roku's upgraded to Beta automatically.  Emby has resolved this ("This issue was not Roku not wanting our app.  It was just a change they made in their new firmware that we had to adjust to.").  A similar thing occurred last year when Roku updated and it caused YouTube to stop working (and YouTube was down longer for almost 2 weeks after a Roku upgrade). Meanwhile, while YouTube figured it out, I reverted to my Smart TV to use the YouTube app.

Don't want to buy Roku, then don't, say that to Roku sales and tell they WHY.  Try to get Roku Tech Support to assist like Emby has - NOT!  My LG TVs have the Emby APP, and the App can be installed on computers, tablets, phones etc.  These other platforms were not affected.   I also understand other streaming devices like Amazon Fire TV will support Emby.  Emby is solid software backed by a dedicated team. 

Emby app on a Roku work and that is what I want and I suspect most Emby users feel the same.  A good Alternative to Roku is your Smart TV as I did while the issue was worked.  the same functionality is present in a Smart TV with Emby App.  Don't have a smart tv, then computer, phone etc or build a dedicated Computer for this as the previous post suggested and a good suggestion (and I have one a dedicated computer as well). 

Time to move on and enjoy programs Emby has recorded as this issue is resolved.  Something else, open up a new ticket.  Meanwhile, Emby and the Emby staff ROCK!

Edited by robertxgonzalez

Gilgamesh_48

I just NEVER want to be forced, like I was on one of my Rokus, to use beta software if I am not informed of it and choose to participate. Being placed in Roku's beta without notice is unacceptable in the extreme. I was however never without Emby on my Roku. The release version of Emby seemed to work in all cases and I keep both the release and the beta on my Roku at all times so I could easily switch when and if I need to.

I was actually thanking Emby for providing info as to how to check which server I was using for Roku updates and how to change it if desired.

It seemed to me that Emby was providing a public service since Roku was forcing an undesired situation on many folks. No, it is NOT Emby's fault, it was Roku's but Emby reacted to it very well.

No, it is NOT Emby's fault or responsibility to police ethics in the streaming world but I hoped the post showing how to get out of using Roku's beta server would remain accessible even if it was not the real solution. It was good info that Roku does not share.

BTW: Just because you are on Roku's beta server does not mean you will or did get Roku's beta firmware. In fact Roku can use either server to update any Roku or group of Rokus they chose to any version of their firmware. Many many years ago I was in Roku's beta for a particular feature and I uncovered a bug and they updated just my Roku to test the fix. It worked so Roku updated everybody in the testing group.

Roku can also run several different betas at the same time using slightly different firmware. At one time they were running six different known betas at the same time.

Shortly after that time was when Roku started screwing up their betas by ignoring their testers and generally not really "testing" their firmware. They released firmware with bugs that had been reported in the beta for months with several/most of us withdrawing from the program.

I love my Rokus but Roku(the company) has dropped way down on my list of favorite companies. (It should be noted that their policies also drove several of their community relations people to quit the company and go elsewhere.

Roku started out as one of the best companies I have ever dealt with and they descended down the integrity  ladder until they became where they are now; A company with no real morals that does not care about their users.

One more time: I applaud Emby for providing info that exposes just one more way Roku looks to screw their users.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

but I hoped the post showing how to get out of using Roku's beta server would remain accessible even if it was not the real solution. It was good info that Roku does not share.

It is still there.  I just edited it to encourage people to help us test our fix in our app.

• Like 1

m.a.biglin

Just got a Roku premiere today to replace my dying Roku 4.

Can confirm some things for you.

Automatically updated me to Roku 10.0.0 build 4165-C2. I have just disabled the beta update option so I won't get anymore Roku betas.

Emby (4.0 build 18) splash screen comes up for a couple seconds and crashes to the Roku homescreen. Doesn't seem to even log in. On my server it only shows the beta app logging in.

Emby Beta (4.0 build 22) works perfectly. If I try to cast from my pixel 4xl it opens the Beta app and works fine.

• Thanks 1

Gilgamesh_48
3 hours ago, ebr said:

It is still there.  I just edited it to encourage people to help us test our fix in our app.

Great, that was what I thought was the correct thing to do. From some of your, and other's, posts I got the, apparently mistaken, idea that all reference to the fix for the Roku part of the problem was going to be deleted.

I am quite pleased to see that I was mistaken. ;)

BTW: Even though my bedroom Roku was on the Roku beta server I apparently never got the offending firmware.

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

BTW: Even though my bedroom Roku was on the Roku beta server I apparently never got the offending firmware.

I got mine the day after I did a forced update check, but rolled back before working beta was available.