Sony TV App & Dolby Vision

maltice

maltice

Hi,
At the risk of being yelled at for posting questions that have been asked a bunch of times, I will preface with: I've been reading these forums (and others) for a week or so now but can't seem to find what I am looking for. Here is my question:

I have:

• Sony TV (950h)
    • Running Emby Client 1.8.55g
  • Emby Server (premiere) running on Windows 10
    • Version 4.5.4 

I am trying to get Dolby Vision to run (I seem to be finding some conflicting reports in these forums on whether this is possible or not). I also keep finding people saying they have done it and some people saying it can't be done.  Just trying to find some direction on where to focus my energy!

I have:

• A series of Dolby Vision files (mkv's, mp4's) each with different Dolby Vision profiles to use in testing
    • Dolby Vision Amaze mp4 test file
      • Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.09, BL+RPU
    • GI Joe preview mkv (FEL)
      • Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    • GI Joe preview mkv (MEL)
      • Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    • Dolby 4K trailer (mkv)
      • Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, SDR compatible
    • Some weird glass blowing file (mkv)
      •  Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.09, BL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    • Dolby Amaze file (mkv)

Via the built in Android TV app (from play store), I am trying to get at least one file to trigger Dolby Vision but I am having no luck.

I have seen some people report:

• Sony TV's can only support DV 5
    • So I thought maybe the two 5 files above would work (but no dice)
  • I've seen some people report that they have gotten MKVs of LOTR working (which is layer 7)
    • I was not able to get any layer 7's to play.

I did take my LOTR disc and created an MKV to test and even though it also report layer 7, I did not have any luck. That all said, I am able to watch in Dolby Vision on Netflix, etc but not through Emby App. Was hoping to avoid having to buy a Shield (but I'm also not sure if that will even solve it for me).

I thought of maybe trying to figure out how to sideload the latest Beta app (1.8.79) but haven't figure out how to sideload on this new TV yet (was thinking to try that after work today).

Any suggestion on where to go next?

-malt

Edited by maltice
clarity

maltice

And it does appear I need to try the Beta app first. I will try to get that sideloaded and report back to anyone who is interested.

• Like 1

FrostByte
Just now, maltice said:

And it does appear I need to try the Beta app first. I will try to get that sideloaded and report back to anyone who is interested.

LOL, I was just going to say that

maltice

OK, so for anyone interested, I installed the beta app (1.8.79g) and Dolby Vision triggered on one of the files noted above!!:

The others didn't trigger but I'll play around more this evening and report back.

Super exiciting!

Edited by maltice
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, maltice said:

OK, so for anyone interested, I installed the beta app (1.8.79g) and Dolby Vision triggered on one of the files noted above!!:

The others didn't trigger but I'll play around more this evening and report back.

Super exiciting!

Hi.  The Sony TVs only support DV profile 5 which is what that one is.

maltice
Just now, ebr said:

Hi.  The Sony TVs only support DV profile 5 which is what that one is.

Yep, thanks..  I do have a profile 5 in mkv which isn't triggering though, so I'll play around with that and post back as well.

As far as the app is concerned though, should an MKV with profile 5 playback if the MP4 with profile 5 did?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, maltice said:

should an MKV with profile 5 playback if the MP4 with profile 5 did?

If it is created properly and all other factors allow the item to direct play.

maltice
Just now, ebr said:

If it is created properly and all other factors allow the item to direct play.

Cool, thanks. I'll mess around and see if I can figure it out. Appreciate the responses.

rbjtech

There is a PDF on the DV levels from Dolby here -

https://dolby.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#700000009YuG/a/4u000000l6G4/4R18riPaaW3gxpVx7XwyQLdEITLFjB.w.Si0LoQR5j8

It's all rather complicated and all the numbers in the Profile numbering have individual meanings ... :(

To note - the Shield 2019 Pro running the latest Emby beta does play DV Profile 7 ok (a large number of hours played, with no issues (*)) - As reported by Media Info - Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

(*) Selecting the Tru-HD Dolby Atmos track has, on a few occasions not worked on initial play (it reverted to the default DD Track) but changing in the Emby OCD or stopping and trying again resolved it in all cases.

Edited by rbjtech

maltice
16 hours ago, maltice said:

lol, yeah, as soon as I posted, I found the same thing said a few times (that I needed to sideload the beta app). I feel better about myself for realizing it first!

maltice
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

There is a PDF on the DV levels from Dolby here -

https://dolby.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#700000009YuG/a/4u000000l6G4/4R18riPaaW3gxpVx7XwyQLdEITLFjB.w.Si0LoQR5j8

It's all rather complicated and all the numbers in the Profile numbering have individual meanings ... :(

To note - the Shield 2019 Pro running the latest Emby beta does play DV Profile 7 ok (a large number of hours played, with no issues (*)) - As reported by Media Info - Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

(*) Selecting the Tru-HD Dolby Atmos track has, on a few occasions not worked on initial play (it reverted to the default DD Track) but changing in the Emby OCD or stopping and trying again resolved it in all cases.

Thanks for this. Learning about all the HDR tech has been a treat these past few days. A couple question (for anyone reading this) that still confuse me (although maybe better suited for AVS forums - not entirely sure:

• If the Shield supports Profile 7 and even dual layer HDR, etc but Sony TVs only support Profile 5, how does this shake out?
    • If I am reading some posts correctly, one of two things happen:
      • The Sony TV just won't trigger DV because the source is not Profile 5
        • or
      • The Sony TV will play because the 'Player' supports the Profile (profile 7 in this example).  <--Is this what is referred to as 'Player Led' Dolby Vision?

Anyway..  I haven't been able to sort this out in my head yet with all the info in forums..  anyone know?

18 minutes ago, maltice said:

Thanks for this. Learning about all the HDR tech has been a treat these past few days. A couple question (for anyone reading this) that still confuse me (although maybe better suited for AVS forums - not entirely sure:

• If the Shield supports Profile 7 and even dual layer HDR, etc but Sony TVs only support Profile 5, how does this shake out?
    • If I am reading some posts correctly, one of two things happen:
      • The Sony TV just won't trigger DV because the source is not Profile 5
        • or
      • The Sony TV will play because the 'Player' supports the Profile (profile 7 in this example).  <--Is this what is referred to as 'Player Led' Dolby Vision?

Anyway..  I haven't been able to sort this out in my head yet with all the info in forums..  anyone know?

If playing on the Shield it should work fine because the Shield will do the DV work for you.  The limitations come into play when running the app directly on the Sony TV - which is only designed to support the flavor of DV used by streaming services.

maltice
1 hour ago, ebr said:

If playing on the Shield it should work fine because the Shield will do the DV work for you.  The limitations come into play when running the app directly on the Sony TV - which is only designed to support the flavor of DV used by streaming services.

Got it..  That's what I was hoping the answer was!

-m

maltice

Just an update. Both of these files playback in DV now (I think I was just clicking on the wrong file originally):

• MP4 - Dolby Vision Amaze mp4 test file
  • MKV - Dolby Amaze file (mkv)

If I understand everything correctly, these both playback on the Sony app because (1), they are profile 5 and (2), they don't have an enhancement layer (which is not even a thing for profile 5 anyway -- according to the spec linked earlier).

Looks like I'm about as far as I can go with internal app.  on to ordering a Shield I guess!

Edited by maltice
typo
  • Like 1

rbjtech

I'm not 100% sure if the issues with the Shield 'Tube' were ever cleared up - either way, I would get the Pro if you can to avoid any doubt.

maltice
8 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I'm not 100% sure if the issues with the Shield 'Tube' were ever cleared up - either way, I would get the Pro if you can to avoid any doubt.

Pro for sure!  'Tube' is a reference to the design of the non-pro one I assume..  This week has been quite the crash course in recent video tech!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
centuryx476

Hello,

I have a Sony X90J - Bravia.

Does the APP support Dolby Vision now? I ask because I do not see it in any of the release notes.

Thanks

Edited by centuryx476

maltice

Hey, when I posted my comment on March 16th, the Sony Native Emby App supported DV playback on the X90J. That said, the TV itself can only support profile 5 so if you have files that are any other profile (most things I've found are not Profile 5) then it won't playback in Dolby Vision...  Ultimately, I bought a Shield Pro and it handles all the profiles that I was looking for (profile 7, etc...)

Does that answer your question?

11 minutes ago, centuryx476 said:

Hello,

I have a Sony X90J - Bravia.

Does the APP support Dolby Vision now? I ask because I do not see it in any of the release notes.

Thanks

centuryx476
5 minutes ago, maltice said:

Hey, when I posted my comment on March 16th, the Sony Native Emby App supported DV playback on the X90J. That said, the TV itself can only support profile 5 so if you have files that are any other profile (most things I've found are not Profile 5) then it won't playback in Dolby Vision...  Ultimately, I bought a Shield Pro and it handles all the profiles that I was looking for (profile 7, etc...)

Does that answer your question?

Well, that is what I am trying to avoid. A lot of movies are coming out in Dolby Vision and if I'm only limited to profile 5 on the native app then I'm sorta out of luck.

I was hoping that it would be resolved and the native Sony APP can play all profiles.

maltice
4 minutes ago, centuryx476 said:

Well, that is what I am trying to avoid. A lot of movies are coming out in Dolby Vision and if I'm only limited to profile 5 on the native app then I'm sorta out of luck.

I was hoping that it would be resolved and the native Sony APP can play all profiles.

Yeah, unfortunately it is not an Emby / App limitation, it is a limitation of the hardware playing the file.  If you have anything other than a profile 5 file locally, it doesn't matter what app you have, the TV hardware can't decode anything other than Profile 5.  In the case of the Shield, the Shield hardware itself can understand other profiles and decodes the Dolby Vision data for the TV.  The Emby App however is 'playing' the video natively, so the device that is getting the 'native' data needs to be able to decode it.. When the hardware that needs to decode it is the X90J, only profile 5 will get decoded.   Hope that makes sense (i'm not the expert, it's just what i gathered from all these threads a few months back).

Edited by maltice

maltice

Also, fwiw, just buy the Shield..  its so much better than the TV and it doesn't lose 1/3 of the screen with ads from other streaming services like the X90J does! I am very happy I decided to buy it.

• Like 2

centuryx476
12 minutes ago, maltice said:

Yeah, unfortunately it is not an Emby / App limitation, it is a limitation of the hardware playing the file.  If you have anything other than a profile 5 file locally, it doesn't matter what app you have, the TV hardware can't decode anything other than Profile 5.  In the case of the Shield, the Shield hardware itself can understand other profiles and decodes the Dolby Vision data for the TV.  The Emby App however is 'playing' the video natively, so the device that is getting the 'native' data needs to be able to decode it.. When the hardware that needs to decode it is the X90J, only profile 5 will get decoded.   Hope that makes sense (i'm not the expert, it's just what i gathered from all these threads a few months back).

Ay ok then. So it is not an emby issue. I fully understand now!
Looks like I have some money decisions to make!!!

Annoying Detail Question: If I buy the shield PRO and connect it to my X90J TV via HDMI. Will I get pass the Sony TV limitation of profile 5 ? Since the TV is still showing the actual image. Does that make sense ? The shield pro is processing the file but the TV is displaying it.

maltice
5 minutes ago, centuryx476 said:

Ay ok then. So it is not an emby issue. I fully understand now!
Looks like I have some money decisions to make!!!

Annoying Detail Question: If I buy the shield PRO and connect it to my X90J TV via HDMI. Will I get pass the Sony TV limitation of profile 5 ? Since the TV is still showing the actual image. Does that make sense ? The shield pro is processing the file but the TV is displaying it.

Haha, yeah, no worries..  I had all these same questions, happy to help!

The short answer is yes, the Shield Pro will get you past the profile 5 limitation of the TV's hardware. When you get the Shield Pro (which is what I did), the Sheild Pro's hardware will decode all the DV profiles (5, 7, etc..) when the Emby App plays the file you have locally. So, yes, the TV will display the video in Dolby Vision because the Shield Pro decoded the profile and passes the decoded video stream to the TV.   Just try to remember, its not a limitation of the TV's ability to display the video, it is a limitation of the TV's ability to decode the profile, so in this case you offload the decoding to the Shield Pro and then the TV can display it. 

• Like 1

centuryx476
1 hour ago, maltice said:

Haha, yeah, no worries..  I had all these same questions, happy to help!

The short answer is yes, the Shield Pro will get you past the profile 5 limitation of the TV's hardware. When you get the Shield Pro (which is what I did), the Sheild Pro's hardware will decode all the DV profiles (5, 7, etc..) when the Emby App plays the file you have locally. So, yes, the TV will display the video in Dolby Vision because the Shield Pro decoded the profile and passes the decoded video stream to the TV.   Just try to remember, its not a limitation of the TV's ability to display the video, it is a limitation of the TV's ability to decode the profile, so in this case you offload the decoding to the Shield Pro and then the TV can display it. 

Perfect. Thank you for understanding and helping!!!

• 1 year later...
mrmorrison

I am writing in this old post just to update information. Sony Bravia TVs (or at least the one I have, A8H - 2020) can play profiles 5 profiles 8 and even 7 MEL (not 7 FEL). Profile 7 must necessarily be in single track (makeMkv). All this tested by me with Emby app for android

Sorry if all this has been known for some time and I have written obvious things

Edited by mrmorrison
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1