Emby using too many system resources to allow VM to run?

kaledi

kaledi

Hello,

I've recently moved from a WD based NAS to Synology and moved everything over smoothly regarding Emby,.

The Synology model I have is the new DS1821+ with an AMD Ryzen V1500b processor (so no hardware decoding, which is fine for me) (with 16GB of RAM).

Anyhow, I discovered that there a problem with running the Virtual Machine manager and Emby at the same time.  This problem was discovered becasuse I could not successfully start VMs and raised a ticket with Synology.  After some testing they came back and told me I quote

"Our HQ has investigated this further and has detailed the cause is that the third-party software "Emby Server" is consuming too many system resources.

This application is then causing issues when powering on a VM.

They have tested stopping the application "Emby Server" and the VM powers on without issue.

As Emby Server is a third-party application we can only suggest disabling this package to resolve the issue."

I've tested it myself and I can confirm that if I shut down Emby server the the VM will power on successfully.

Is this an issue that has been seen by others / known?

Looking at task manager in the Synology the resourse - CPU cycles, RAM are all very low (unless of course it is doing some sort of transcoding), so the explanation regarding resources doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Thoughts?

Hi,

I'm running Emby on a DS220+ (6 GB RAM) and running the VM Manager (with vDSM). I have no problems and (as you said) the resources consumption is really low.I can only suggest that you make sure that you've installed the correct version for the new AMD Ryzen processor.

kaledi

Thanks for your response.  I assume I've installed the correct version - the X64 version on the Emby download page.  I wouldn't have thought the incorrect version should install anyway?

This is very strange - I went back to Synology and they've refused to elaborate any further - simply that it's using lots of resources!

kaledi

Does anyone else have any experience?

Maybe there is an incompatibility with the code and the new AMD Ryzen processors in the Synology NAS?

55 minutes ago, kaledi said:

Does anyone else have any experience?

Maybe there is an incompatibility with the code and the new AMD Ryzen processors in the Synology NAS?

I have a 918+ and run vDSM with no problems. My main Emby installation is on DSM6.2 and I run a vDSM with another instant of Emby without any problems at the same time.

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server log from when this happens? That will help us make suggestions. Thanks.

Hi, if you just rotated it then it might not be a useful example. Anyway, please remove these plugins, then restart the server and see how that compares:

Addic7ed 1.0.8.0
	Auto Movie Version Collections 1.0.0.0
	CoverArt 4.1.10.0
	Phillips Hue 1.1.0.6
	SubDb 1.0.6.0

kaledi

I've removed the plugins as you suggested.  This does not seem to have made any difference - the VM still doesn't power on.

Can I reinstall them? Or at least Auto Movie Version Collections, and CoverArt, as these are important parts of my server.

One observation I can make is that since moving to a Synology set up, I've not been able to successfully automatically download subtitles for movies that don't have a subtitle embedded, and these should download to the movie folder in my settings.  No idea, if this is related, but this is the only issue I've noticed.

I'm not familiar enough with auto movie version to know if it's optimized well enough to run on a nas, so you'll have to decide on your own. But as you report these kinds of issues, that's the first thing we'll ask you do to because it's not our code.

CoverArt is ours but it states in the description that it will cause higher resource consumption. That doesn't mean I'm saying don't use it - rather you can, just understand that it comes with a cost and you can make our own decision about that.

The other ones you could try removing are dlna and the port mapper. There is some chatter in the server log with other devices on the network, so maybe that's related.

kaledi

Thanks, I'll try port mapper and dlna too.  I don't really have need for DLNA functionality.  What is the purpose of port mapper?

Also, having removed auto movie version, I was expecting to see multiple entries for movies as I have multiple encodings in different folders.  Is this plugin required in the current version of server?

I'm not familiar enough with auto movie version to know if it's optimized well enough to run on a nas, so you'll have to decide on your own. But as you report these kinds of issues, that's the first thing we'll ask you do to because it's not our code.

Based on this, why would you think it is required?

kaledi

If not installed, don't you have to have all versions of a particular media in the same folder for it to be grouped in the library?  Not doing so results in multiple entries being visible in the library?

Example of file structure

Movies> 4K > Movie A

Movies > 1080p > Movie A

kaledi

My library is very well structured.  I've gone over my use case previously.

I use multiple user profiles that have access to specific folders in a library so that only the encode of that is relevant to that user is visible when they select it.

This works very well, but it does require that plug in.

I just tested it and unfortunately, when I added a new movie with multiple encodes, they added as several entries.

It would be good to have the solution that the plugin provides built in natively to emby server.

kaledi

@Lukean update.  Further investigation suggests that the issue I had with the NAS has nothing to do with Emby.  Another issue revealed itself - file indexing wouldn't update - and support suggested it to be a third party app.  I only had a small number installed (including Emby) and through a process of elimination I concluded that it was Asset UPNP, or BubbleUPNP.  I've disabled both and now everything is running fine, including the virtual machines.

12 hours ago, kaledi said:

@Lukean update.  Further investigation suggests that the issue I had with the NAS has nothing to do with Emby.  Another issue revealed itself - file indexing wouldn't update - and support suggested it to be a third party app.  I only had a small number installed (including Emby) and through a process of elimination I concluded that it was Asset UPNP, or BubbleUPNP.  I've disabled both and now everything is running fine, including the virtual machines.

Thanks for the feedback !