Add playback tracking support for mpv-android external player

gokuz
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

roaku
3 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Paid devs vs volunteers. Emby vs jellyfin. No excuse emby not having this feature.

OHHHH YEAHHHH

• Haha 1

Deathsquirrel
3 hours ago, gokuz said:

Trolling doesn't help. People genuinely need this feature.

Then surely those people will support your feature enhancement by liking the initial post.  Until then the developers are more likely to focus on things that people actually do report wanting or that support their vision for their product.

gokuz
43 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Then surely those people will support your feature enhancement by liking the initial post.  Until then the developers are more likely to focus on things that people actually do report wanting or that support their vision for their product.

I want it, am I not considered "people"?

If you went to the github link. It was just 1 person that asked for it, 1. 

Jellyfin, an emby fork that is carried out by volunteer devs without getting paid unlike emby, has a better support? Come on, it doesn't make sense. I gave them the reference code in a silver platter, its not a complete re-write from the ground up that they have to start from scratch. They can just take it from the jellyfin source code and implement it. 

Since they are reluctant to do so, I suspect their ego are at play here. Copying from jellyfin might be too much for them

Hi, yes you are considered people. What you're suggesting is possible for the future. Thanks.

thornbill

The linked code falls under the GPLv2 license. Any derivative works (i.e. implementations using it as a reference) must comply with the terms of the license. This means that if Emby were to copy or reference the code above, they must provide their app source code.

thornbill
16 hours ago, gokuz said:

I want it, am I not considered "people"?

If you went to the github link. It was just 1 person that asked for it, 1. 

Jellyfin, an emby fork that is carried out by volunteer devs without getting paid unlike emby, has a better support? Come on, it doesn't make sense. I gave them the reference code in a silver platter, its not a complete re-write from the ground up that they have to start from scratch. They can just take it from the jellyfin source code and implement it. 

Since they are reluctant to do so, I suspect their ego are at play here. Copying from jellyfin might be too much for them

I mentioned this in your other thread, but since this thread seems to have more traction:

The linked code falls under the GPLv2 license. Any derivative works (i.e. implementations using it as a reference) must comply with the terms of the license. This means that if Emby were to copy or reference the code above, they must provide their app source code.

• Solution

@gokuz I've merged your two topics as we're discussing the same thing in two different places. Thanks.

Hi.  We are still very interested in looking at why you feel you need the external player in the first place.  Solving that will solve your issue.  Thanks.

gokuz
5 hours ago, thornbill said:

I mentioned this in your other thread, but since this thread seems to have more traction:

No, emby doesn't need to comply as their code are closed.

@ebr

1. Internal player can't direct play on fire stick 4k. It plays smoothly on mpv-android.

2. Cant play .ASS subtitled karaoke, mpv-android can.

3. Can't scrub on multiple videos.

Just add mpv-android resume tracking and it will be perfect. Especially for androidTV where the GUI doesn't matter much, so internal player is not as important.

24 minutes ago, gokuz said:

No, emby doesn't need to comply as their code are closed.

@ebr

1. Internal player can't direct play on fire stick 4k. It plays smoothly on mpv-android.

2. Cant play .ASS subtitled karaoke, mpv-android can.

3. Can't scrub on multiple videos.

Just add mpv-android resume tracking and it will be perfect. Especially for androidTV where the GUI doesn't matter much, so internal player is not as important.

We would if we were going to use theirs, however we would just go straight to mpv and build it based on how they've documented it, so no real concern there.

Cant play .ASS subtitled karaoke

Can we look at an example of this? Do you remember what happened a few months ago when I asked you for app logs and a sample file? We resolved your issue, so no reason to suggest we can't do again, right?

gokuz
8 minutes ago, Luke said:

We would if we were going to use theirs, however we would just go straight to mpv and build it based on how they've documented it, so no real concern there.

Can we look at an example of this? Do you remember what happened a few months ago when I asked you for app logs and a sample file? We resolved your issue, so no reason to suggest we can't do again, right?

That was another issue and was not on fire tv. I've found that among my players, appleTV, nvidia shield, iphones, ipads,

Fire tv 4k is the most problematic for direct play. However using mpv-android solves the issue. The only glaring flaw is the resume feature is not working. Could you please please, for the 100th time, add it for mpv-player.

Not to discredit your internal player, its awesome on other clients, but its another weapon in your arsenal so to speak if you enable resume feature on mpv-android. 

• 6 months later...
Françoise

+1. On several occasions I have noticed that the sever transcodes when playing content stored forwarded through strm files on emby tv.

Transcode reason: invalid container type.

Container type is AAC and MKV, and plays perfectly fine on just about any player without transcoding.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Françoise said:

Same result. Black frame and transcoding. Plays fine with the emby app on the phone.

Did you check the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

Françoise
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Did you check the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

The first time it just said transcoding on the dashboard, no reason given. But I didn't look at the stats for nerds or the log.

Now, when I try again, I can't reproduce.

When I tested again, it was direct streaming. Reason direct play failed.

Then I tested again, and it now direct plays every time.

I still get the black frame though. Is there a way to get rid of it? 

I already tried zoom, and the equivalent option in the regular android app.

Just now, Françoise said:

The first time it just said transcoding on the dashboard, no reason given. But I didn't look at the stats for nerds or the log.

Now, when I try again, I can't reproduce.

When I tested again, it was direct streaming. Reason direct play failed.

Then I tested again, and it now direct plays every time.

I still get the black frame though. Is there a way to get rid of it? 

I already tried zoom, and the equivalent option in the regular android app.

It sounds like the black frame is burned into your video file?

Françoise
20 minutes ago, Luke said:

It sounds like the black frame is burned into your video file?

Hmm, not the video, but the box. Apparently some apps set the aspect ratio independently. I got it fixed by adjusting the display area in the launcher, but isn't required in some apps. Strange. Anyway, works for me now.

Edited by Françoise

19 minutes ago, Françoise said:

Hmm, not the video, but the box. Apparently some apps set the aspect ratio independently. I got it fixed by adjusting the display area in the launcher, but isn't required in some apps. Strange. Anyway, works for me now.

Ah, okay so the app actually wasn't filling the entire screen.  Glad you figured that out.

• 2 months later...
NErdgOd56
On 3/10/2021 at 6:26 PM, gokuz said:

Trolling doesn't help. People genuinely need this feature.

take your own advice. trolling doesn't help. no ones stopping you from using jellyfin. wow youre narcissistic

blumamba

Yes he is.  He thinks these "people" should work for free and do this one , several things.  Sadly most who want to use this app dont have a clue how long these folks have actually been trying to perfect as well as improve upon it.

So to make false assumptions on "full time devs vs vol dves" is plain stupid.

This app has an overall fantastic community who will attempt to help if possible and mostly FEASABLE for EVERYONE.

I have been emby since its inception prior to name change, jumped from xbmc and these folks do great work.

My complaints if you will, are very far and few.  Sometimes is simply just because they updated something and I was unaware, and just opposite too, they are aware and working on it.

So I have no issues with their support.

People just need to learn to read, research, and be PATIENT:)

• Agree 1