Add playback tracking support for mpv-android external player

gokuz
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

gokuz

VLC doesn't save the position when you exit. Rather it gives you Mark videos as Watched or not ONLY. 

It resumes fine. Problem resides on saving on exit.

Played on fire tv 4k stick.

HI, this is expected. There is no universal way to get the position from an external player. It would require building vlc-specific support.

gokuz
1 minute ago, Luke said:

HI, this is expected. There is no universal way to get the position from an external player. It would require building vlc-specific support.

Try it with mpv-android player. The code is there. Please implement it.

That would require customized support for mpv as an external player. Yes it is possible, it's just that you have to support it individually for different players.

gokuz
Just now, Luke said:

That would require customized support for mpv as an external player. Yes it is possible, it's just that you have to support it individually for different players.

Have you take a look at the github i posted? Both jellyfin devs and mpv-android devs already implemented it in both the android player and jellyfin server respectively.

Its your job to just add it in emby's codebase. Please do it. The hard part is already done for you.

Yes I did. My answer is the same as above. it is possible, it's just that you have to support it individually for different players.

gokuz
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Yes I did. My answer is the same as above. it is possible, it's just that you have to support it individually for different players.

You don't need to do it for ALL players. Mpv-android devs have already added the necessary code for resume tracking. Just do it for mpv-android. Its open-sourced, lightweight, plays every video you can think of.

Mpv-android supports both android and androidTV. That's only

When you do it for mpv, the same technique will not work for other players, that's what I mean.

gokuz

Edit: no reason for people to use VLC/MX player since mpv-player is superior in every way. Once you add resume tracking, like jellyfin, this is the GOTO way to play videos.

gokuz
Just now, Luke said:

What's the problem with our internal player?

It transcodes most of my videos but plays fine on external players like vlc/mx/mpv-android.

I don't see any downsides in implementing this. Vlc/mx do not have any resume tracking, so there's nothing to destroy there. 

Mpv-player flies around vlc/mx. Why not do it? It shouldn't be this difficult for emby to do this honestly. Jellyfin did it and it didn't destroy vlc/mx playability at all. It just adds a feature for mpv-android since its open-source.

Are you willing to add this feature or not, that's the bottomline answer i need.

IT shouldn't need to transcode most videos. Can you open a topic with an example about that? Thanks.

gokuz
Just now, Luke said:

IT shouldn't need to transcode most videos. Can you open a topic with an example about that? Thanks.

Please don't divert.. The problem is external players not having resume tracking, not internal player not able to direct play.

I hope you can cater to our requests especially comparing with jellyfin (volunteer devs). I don't think this request is unreasonable at all. I gave you reference code you could implement with ease. 

gokuz
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Can we please discuss both at the same time, in two different topics? Thanks.

Sure, are you going to add the code onto your android/androidTV clients?

Just now, gokuz said:

Sure, are you going to add the code onto your android/androidTV clients?

It is certainly possible for future updates.

gokuz
Just now, Luke said:

It is certainly possible for future updates.

Any beta i could test after you've implemented it?

FrostByte
53 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Any changelogs so I'll know when you've implemented it. Hopefully soon.

change logs for the Android beta apps are pinned in the testing area

We do not have immediate plans to implement this for external players so we'd rather look at why you feel you cannot use the internal player.  Very few items should require transcoding.

gokuz
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

We do not have immediate plans to implement this for external players so we'd rather look at why you feel you cannot use the internal player.  Very few items should require transcoding.

Why not? Mpv-player is open and better than vlc/mx. There's literally no downside to it. Jellyfin has it and the code is literally there so the hard part is done. 

Why is it that a bunch of volunteer devs are much better at implementing stuff their community needs than you guys? I mean the code is there. Why are you emby devs being so difficult about it. Is it because of ego? Just stop.

roaku

When the Kool Aid Man wants a new feature.

• Haha 1

gokuz
Just now, roaku said:

When the Kool Aid Man wants a new feature.

Paid devs vs volunteers. Emby vs jellyfin. No excuse emby not having this feature.