transcoding SD content - aspect ratio & quality issues

veehexx1

veehexx1

i gave up and bought the quadro p400 2GB card for nvenc. perfect results. i've also upgraded from the athlon to i5 8600k for home server which i'll be testing with the intel igpu at the weekend maybe.

I'm not sure if i put it down to it being linux amd drivers, or the 'vce' features on the athlon 3000G igpu just not being upto scratch. i never really got to the bottom of why the AMD system was so poor.

Timmy1980

Thanks for the reply. I am using a Ryzen 3 2200g with Vega 8 GPU, wasn't planning on changing the GPU but might do as the rest of the setup is fine for what I want it to do... which is basically Emby for media library and Live TV/DVR. 

On 6/9/2022 at 10:49 AM, Timmy1980 said:

Thanks for the reply. I am using a Ryzen 3 2200g with Vega 8 GPU, wasn't planning on changing the GPU but might do as the rest of the setup is fine for what I want it to do... which is basically Emby for media library and Live TV/DVR. 

What CPU do you have?  Does it support QuickSync?
Never mind, as pointed out how blind I was typing that you don't have QuickSync available with the Ryzen.

Edited by cayars

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

What CPU do you have?  Does it support QuickSync?

Carlo? 

On 6/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, Timmy1980 said:

I am using a Ryzen 3 2200g

• Haha 1

ulanov

I think this is part of the same issue I flagged here.  If you scroll down two comments below that post you'll see that I think I have isolated where the problem came into the Android mobile APK version.  However, this thread suggests it may be not an Android issue but something to do with a shared codec or other factor.  What is in common is that it affects 480 SD play in some code builds.

I hope this might help @Luke chase it down.  As far as I can tell it affects all Android mobile devices running the recent APKs (3.2.40 forward including the current 3.2.50), but it didn't affect APKs 3.2.32 and earlier.  And as noted this is a problem with 480 SD in particular.  (At least it held true on five separate devices I tested half a dozen APK versions on, with different native DPIs and native aspect ratios and the results were uniform.)

Perhaps importantly the server is running on a QNAP (has been consistent across QNAP server versions past and present), so it could conceivably be tied to QNAP hardware/software just as earlier in this thread thinking it might be server device dependent.  I have NOT tested this on an Emby server running on any other non-QNAP hardware. 

Edited by ulanov
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, ulanov said:

I think this is part of the same issue I flagged here.  If you scroll down two comments below that post you'll see that I think I have isolated where the problem came into the Android mobile APK version.  However, this thread suggests it may be not an Android issue but something to do with a shared codec or other factor.  What is in common is that it affects 480 SD play in some code builds.

I hope this might help @Luke chase it down.  As far as I can tell it affects all Android mobile devices running the recent APKs (3.2.40 forward including the current 3.2.50), but it didn't affect APKs 3.2.32 and earlier.  And as noted this is a problem with 480 SD in particular.  (At least it held true on five separate devices I tested half a dozen APK versions on, with different native DPIs and native aspect ratios and the results were uniform.)

Perhaps importantly the server is running on a QNAP (has been consistent across QNAP server versions past and present), so it could conceivably be tied to QNAP hardware/software just as earlier in this thread thinking it might be server device dependent.  I have NOT tested this on an Emby server running on any other non-QNAP hardware. 

That's helpful info. Thanks.