transcoding SD content - aspect ratio & quality issues

veehexx1

Thanks, that would be great, because the extradata cointains the filter chain including aspect ratio for each step..

OK, could have seen that from the log files as well. I've been a bit focused on the processing, because that's typically where the aspect ratio gets screwed..

With both, sw and hw, it's SAR 64:45 DAR 16:9 for input and output.

image.thumb.png.67b06f31e52d925b713a78650553d46a.png

veehexx1

thats kinda where i got to trying to understand the logs the other day; the SAR/DAR's dont change between SW & HW logs and saw no reference to 4:3.

...so that means emby is not doing anything then... meaning it's lower level at hardware/driver and outside of what emby can see?

OK, next step would be to analyze the output.

Could you please post two segments from each run (sw/hw). First one and 5th one?

Either it's in the segments, or it's the client making different assumptions up-front.

Was it in one, several or all clients?

veehexx1

it's in all clients that i've tried; win10 theatre, LG tv webos app, and shield. currently doing all my testing on the win10 theatre as it's easy on a dual screen setup...

how do i generate the segments - i'm confused on exactly what to do there?

On 3/5/2021 at 3:09 PM, veehexx1 said:

tuner is TBS6981

Sorry for the off question.

Is this tuner setup in Emby or are you doing recording outside Emby?

veehexx1
Just now, cayars said:

Sorry for the off question.

Is this tuner setup in Emby or are you doing recording outside Emby?

outside of emby. it's configured in TVHeadend and using m3u tuner in emby

veehexx1

well that's hopefully saved me £300+ to upgrade from mATX to ATX case, mobo & quadro p400 :D

glad we got to the bottom of it... good luck fixing!

It might take a while. This requires kind of a masochistic mindset. Or a day when things have worked out too well to get back on earth.. LOL

1 minute ago, veehexx1 said:

well that's hopefully saved me £300+ to upgrade from mATX to ATX case, mobo & quadro p400 :D

glad we got to the bottom of it... good luck fixing!

Wait...let me think. Maybe I just give you the 300 and we close the case 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

veehexx1

paypal ready to go 🤣

no problem on the wait; software encoding is performing acceptably on =<1080p content which is 99% of my media. struggles a bit on seeking, but cant grumble for a cheap entry CPU.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, veehexx1 said:

paypal ready to go 🤣

The problem will be all the other guys that would come tomorrow reporting the same problem...hehe.

5 minutes ago, veehexx1 said:

no problem on the wait; software encoding is performing acceptably on =<1080p content which is 99% of my media. struggles a bit on seeking, but cant grumble for a cheap entry CPU.

I'll need to debug this in ffmpeg, the next time I'll be working there. Feel free to remind me in case...

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey softworkz, I got another problem but for um, a, say $300 I can forget about it.  LOL

Seriously however, I hope this isn't a needle in a haystack type thing but something you'll get lucky with.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hey softworkz, I got another problem but for um, a, say $300 I can forget about it.  LOL

Let me put it like this: Unless you hit the jackpot by accident like veehexx, you might need a long time to find a problem that I can't fix quickly and easily - ho ho ho.. 😎

10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Seriously however, I hope this isn't a needle in a haystack type thing but something you'll get lucky with.

It's not a really difficult task to find the place where it's happening (or rather not happening). But it's tedious and boring...

• Haha 2

veehexx1
20 hours ago, softworkz said:

The problem will be all the other guys that would come tomorrow reporting the same problem...hehe.

19 hours ago, cayars said:

didnt even last till tomorrow :D

turns out the Athlon (2c,4t) is a bit too budget for sw decoding. Seeing it hit 100% on all 4 threads and causing issue with seeking with 1080i recorded tv transcoding.

I've also spent a bit of the day looking at moving to an official amd driver supported distro but even on current ubuntu server it's having what appears to be issues with the current kernel version - same as others on the amd forums. While it works, DKMS is broken/has to be disabled and i'm really not interested in reinstalling every time with kernel update.

based on that, i've pulled the plug on quadro P400, ATX case&mobo and will move existing components across. Still happy to continue this thread and help where i can but it's become much less of a problem for me now!

Edited by veehexx1
  • Like 1

visproduction

Ok, maybe you all have covered this.  I glanced through the exchange above.  The encoder is pulling the ratio from the original video dimensions of 720 x 576 which makes it 1.25 or 4:3.  It looks like the original video is squashed 16:9 with a preferred playback default of 1.778.  The preferred playback is a parameter in the file itself.  Some software players can read this, but online browser and obviously your one encoder don't bother reading the default.  They just read the original video size and uses that.  

I think the way around this problem is to get the master to be the right video size 16:9.  You could resize the master video to 1024 x 576, then all your encoders would be happy.  Or get that one encoder to recognize the default preferred playback aspect ratio.  Maybe there is a option parameter in the encoder.

I like having original masters in the correct playback ratio and not have a library full of squished or stretched videos.  To do that the right way would be to resize during the first master conversion.  Where did the video originals come from.  720 x 576 looks like a converted video from a DVD which was originally 720 x 486.  If you resized it now, you will have lost a generation and things will get a little more blurry, so it's not a good solution. Whomever did the original conversion, should have made the video size 1024 x 576 instead. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Timmy1980

Sorry to drag up an old one, especially if this has been covered elsewhere, but did this get resolved? I am using TVheadend>Emby (plugin)>Emby app on Shield 2017 and I have this very issue. I would LOVE to get it resolved as I really do like using Emby over alternatives.