Collection views.

spincycle999

GrimReaper
Just now, CharleyVarrick said:

Hi Grim,

can you explain how it is possible you show parental ratings under poster and titles ???

In another thread, I am DESPERATLY looking for this (showing sort by criteria)

Here's how collection looks over here🤨

image.thumb.png.ec6d3343a0e7038ff78d163a9d549994.png

That is AndroidTV client, same as Fire devices use, as per OP query. In Web app I don't have PG ratings either. 

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick
12 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

That is AndroidTV client, same as Fire devices use, as per OP query. In Web app I don't have PG ratings either. 

As plain Embyweb user we don't have this privilege.

I still dont get the logic behind why external devices (such as AndroidTV) gives more value, especially since said added value comes from Emby in the first place, yet its unable / unwilling to offer it on its own.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
22 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

This is one click away, there's a dedicated button. 

Let me guess, you mean with Android TV, again not Embyweb

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Let me guess, you mean with Android TV, again not Embyweb

Yes.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Its not you of course, but each day I am getting a clearer grasp of how stripped down, crippled and half baked Embyweb is, compared to all its fancy shiny cousin devices.

I would at least find some comfort if AndroidTV offer more feature because of its superior design, but not even so. It just offers what Emby already holds, but hides to itself.

I have a picture of no frills version of a car with dummy buttons all over the place, instead of the real thing found in higher priced deluxe versions.

Its as if Apple sells you their latest and greatest, but half the features require a Samsung watch to use.

Does this makes any sense to anyone?

Not to me it doesn't.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

rbjtech
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

What would help this of course is Collections within Collections ... possible with the current Release (as I have mine now..) but as I understand it, will break in the new Beta/Release.

This WILL make a large Collection such as MCU unwieldly - even with a vertical stack, a horizontal stack only would be horrible.

Capture.PNG

Sorry to quote myself lol - but Collections of Collections are possible as I've just achieved it in the latest Beta .. totally unsupported of course, but it is do-able.. ;)

CharleyVarrick

Thanks To GrimReaper for taking one for the team. He did offer interesting alternatives and loads of good info (in pv).

• Like 1

crusher11
11 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Didn't quite get that one? 

This is Collection All items view, isn't this what the OP was asking for: vertical presentation, scrolling and Year? 

Screenshot 2021-03-06 123205.png

I have a 90-film collection, for my United Artists Prestige Collection DVD box set. Here it is on the Fire, one horizontally-scrolling row:

2023166160_2021-03-0707_07_42.thumb.jpg.fb623588bb62674e3f66fc89b4ebaef1.jpg

And on my LG TV, vertically scrolling and using the entire screen:

829017470_2021-03-0707_09_43.thumb.jpg.7ed939e68268ef6109c852313f1e2110.jpg

It's clearly much, much easier to find a specific film on the LG than on the Fire.

• Like 2

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I have a 90-film collection, for my United Artists Prestige Collection DVD box set. Here it is on the Fire, one horizontally-scrolling row:

2023166160_2021-03-0707_07_42.thumb.jpg.fb623588bb62674e3f66fc89b4ebaef1.jpg

And on my LG TV, vertically scrolling and using the entire screen:

829017470_2021-03-0707_09_43.thumb.jpg.7ed939e68268ef6109c852313f1e2110.jpg

It's clearly much, much easier to find a specific film on the LG than on the Fire.

Which beta is that? Don't you have an All Items button? Right next to Shuffle? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Rewrite

GrimReaper
19 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

From 1.8.67 beta onwards there is an "All items" button in Collection screen, that gives you both of what you're asking for: vertical scroll for items within and year underneath poster. So, opt for Beta program. 

16 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

It's not a beta, and no.

Go beta, and you'll have same presentation. 

Edit: Or wait a little more, it should hit stable soon enough, I reckon @ebr is wrapping it up currently so hopefully next or following version should be release version. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append/Link

spincycle999
On 3/5/2021 at 10:53 AM, CharleyVarrick said:

I'm curious, an honest question here, why would you want to see movies and collections in the same view ?

It's something I used in Plex often. It's nice having everything in one spot, especially if you don't know what you want to watch. The developers already created an option to include collections into a main library. My gripe with the feature is once you enable, you no longer see individual titles if they're part of a collection [when sorted by title]. 

• Like 1

spincycle999
On 3/5/2021 at 1:22 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Why do you feel that way?  Literally every modern interface I'm aware of presents items this way when broken out into different types or categories.

I beg to differ. On Netflix the only time I see a horizontal scroll is when I'm on the Home page. Anytime I look up movies outside of the home screen, it's a vertical scroll. 

• Like 1

MBSki
16 minutes ago, spincycle999 said:

I beg to differ. On Netflix the only time I see a horizontal scroll is when I'm on the Home page. Anytime I look up movies outside of the home screen, it's a vertical scroll. 

That's a very good point. Emby has taken the "standard horizontal scrolling on the home page" to an extreme and applied them everywhere. Secondary pages should be vertical as a standard.

I've said this elsewhere, but the collection view should also group by each type (Movies, TV, Music, etc.). It still does on Android TV, but everywhere else it's broken.

CharleyVarrick

At the risk of repeating myself, final word should be left to the individual's discretion, instead of forcing a one size fits all approach which, inevitably, will be perfect to some and an eyesore to the next guy. And those options should be available for all platforms, not just for the flavor of the month/trendier one. (Yes, Including Windows, for the apparent dinosaur I've become).

Edited by CharleyVarrick
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, spincycle999 said:

And we do the exact same thing when not presenting different categories on the same screen.

Deathsquirrel
On 3/5/2021 at 1:22 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Why do you feel that way?  Literally every modern interface I'm aware of presents items this way when broken out into different types or categories.

For me, it's just not useful in a collections view.  There are 68 items in my Disney Animated Films collections.  Scrolling right through a single row of 68 posters is inefficient.

• Like 1

spincycle999
On 3/9/2021 at 5:03 AM, ebr said:

And we do the exact same thing when not presenting different categories on the same screen.

If you're doing the exact same thing, why can I only scroll left to right when I open up a collection? I have a collection with 100+ movies, when I open, all 100+ movies are all on 1 row.  Based on crusher11's reply (with pictures), it looks like it works differently between platforms. I understand the horizontal scroll on the main menus, it looks clean and serves a purpose there. But it doesn't look/feel right when opening up a large collection.

7 hours ago, spincycle999 said:

If you're doing the exact same thing, why can I only scroll left to right when I open up a collection? I have a collection with 100+ movies, when I open, all 100+ movies are all on 1 row.  Based on crusher11's reply (with pictures), it looks like it works differently between platforms. I understand the horizontal scroll on the main menus, it looks clean and serves a purpose there. But it doesn't look/feel right when opening up a large collection.

As mentioned previously, the next version of the app will also have the single grid view.