Collection views.

spincycle999

spincycle999

I'm new to Emby, from Plex. In the middle of my trial, using a fire stick. So far I'm a fan and plan to upgrade my account.

On the server, files within collections scroll vertical on the fire they scroll horizontal. For smaller collections that's fine. I have a [comic book movie] collection that has 100+ files in it, scrolling right to left is a bit much. Any chance scroll can be vertical once there's a certain number of files within the collection? Also, release year shows on the server within a collection, but doesn't show on the fire app. I'm able to turn year on and off in the movie media folder, but not in the collections. 

In the movie media folder a decade filter would be pretty valuable.  I saw a request for it already, never hurts to ask again 🙂. Lastly, it would be nice to view movies and collections in the movie media folder when sorted by title. Right now now it looks like it's an or option. 

• Like 4

MBSki

A lot of the apps have moved to a vertical view for collections, but not all. 

30 minutes ago, spincycle999 said:

Lastly, it would be nice to view movies and collections in the movie media folder when sorted by title. Right now now it looks like it's an or option. 

Regarding your question about seeing movies and collections, you should be able to do that now. Check your view settings. you should see a "Group items into collections" check box.

image.png.df8b635d73695b2339bb0d1caabc974f.png

spincycle999

Thanks for the reply mbarylski. When I check "Group items into collections", I only see the collection, I no longer see the movie. I would like to be able to see both.

Example, in my Batman collection I have "Joker" listed. When I have group option checked, Joker now appears under Batman Collection (under "B"), it's no longer listed under "J". In my house, I'd be the only only one to know to find Joker by title. 

Edited by spincycle999

MBSki
4 minutes ago, spincycle999 said:

Thanks for the reply mbarylski. When I check "Group items into collections", I only see the collection, I no longer see the movie. I would like to be able to see both. 

Ah, yes, I don't believe that setting exists, which is a little different than Plex where you can choose both. Good feature request though. 

pwhodges

If you untick that selection box, then the movies will show individually in the Movies tab, and you can select the Collections tab at the top to see the collections in that library.

collections.thumb.jpg.1ef12f752fda96adbc070d27f35a2c70.jpg

Would that do?

Paul

spincycle999

@pwhodges thanks for the reply. That's how I currently access. Would like to see movies and collections in the same list. Right now I can only see one or the other.

CharleyVarrick
On 3/3/2021 at 2:22 PM, spincycle999 said:

@pwhodges thanks for the reply. That's how I currently access. Would like to see movies and collections in the same list. Right now I can only see one or the other.

I'm curious, an honest question here, why would you want to see movies and collections in the same view ?

As for your other point about horizontal scrolling, I agree its does not feel right. 

Edited by CharleyVarrick

2 hours ago, CharleyVarrick said:

As for your other point about horizontal scrolling, I agree its does not feel right. 

Hi.  Why do you feel that way?  Literally every modern interface I'm aware of presents items this way when broken out into different types or categories.

CharleyVarrick
On 3/3/2021 at 1:22 PM, spincycle999 said:

I'm new to Emby, from Plex. In the middle of my trial, using a fire stick. So far I'm a fan and plan to upgrade my account.

On the server, files within collections scroll vertical on the fire they scroll horizontal. For smaller collections that's fine. I have a [comic book movie] collection that has 100+ files in it, scrolling right to left is a bit much. Any chance scroll can be vertical once there's a certain number of files within the collection? Also, release year shows on the server within a collection, but doesn't show on the fire app. I'm able to turn year on and off in the movie media folder, but not in the collections. 

In the movie media folder a decade filter would be pretty valuable.  I saw a request for it already, never hurts to ask again 🙂. Lastly, it would be nice to view movies and collections in the movie media folder when sorted by title. Right now now it looks like it's an or option. 

Edited by CharleyVarrick
replied to wrong post

CharleyVarrick
13 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Why do you feel that way?  Literally every modern interface I'm aware of presents items this way when broken out into different types or categories.

Hi EBR,

quite simply like browsing 99% of websites in general.

I like that website use all of the horizontal real estate (as most screens are wide), but it feels unnatural to scroll past the right edge of the screen.

So while using the whole screen width is all good with me, I'm used to scroll down for more content.

Opposedly what I see way too much of is websites that barely use 50% of screen width (they're designed for a vertically held cell phone ?), so you have to scroll down a lot more than should be necessary.

Back to Emby, I'd rather it use all screen width, but then offer extra rows for what can't fit on a single row (slight scroll down required.)

This is my personal preference, highly subjective of course

Edited by CharleyVarrick

8 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

quite simply like browsing 99% of websites in general.

But this isn't a website...  If you compare to any other media app on a TV device (Fire TV, Netflix, YouTube, literally any of them) you see horizontally scrolling categories.

CharleyVarrick
12 hours ago, ebr said:

But this isn't a website...  If you compare to any other media app on a TV device (Fire TV, Netflix, YouTube, literally any of them) you see horizontally scrolling categories.

Embyweb is a website, and it is what I was referring to. Call it my point of reference.

I do not use anything else, apart from Kodi, which, does not impose horizontal scrolling

Edited by CharleyVarrick
  • Like 1

MBSki

@CharleyVarrick I agree. Definitely prefer vertical rather than horizontal. 

@ebr Understand all the apps do it, and it's an irritation to me that I just live with. Designs are changing all the time, so who knows what the standard will be in the future.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick
Just now, mbarylski said:

@CharleyVarrick I agree. Definitely prefer vertical rather than horizontal. 

@ebr Understand all the apps do it, and it's an irritation to me that I just live with. Designs are changing all the time, so who knows what the standard will be in the future.

I only use computer peripherals for media managing and viewing. Yes, we can side-scroll by side-clicking the mouse wheel, but then going up or down a row rarely brings us where we intend to.

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

I only use computer peripherals for media managing and viewing. Yes, we can side-scroll by side-clicking the mouse wheel, but then going up or down a row rarely brings us where we intend to.

OT: Yep some custom css, html and js edits and you get it. (homesections.js, item.html)

• Like 1

pwhodges

My version of the absurd is that I only have my libraries on my home page, as small tiles.  These all used to show, twenty of them filling the screen on my phone and tablet, whether horizontal or vertical.  Now I have just two rows at the top of an otherwise empty screen, showing one and a bit tiles on each row when vertical (two and a bit when horizontal).  So to get to all my twenty libraries I have to scroll horizontally several times (slowly, so as not to overshoot).  If this, as opposed to seeing all the tiles on the screen (which was the case only six months ago) is some kind of "standard", then the standard is crap.

I get it for TVs, which are inherently a clumsy way to handle things; but phones are not TVs, tablets are not TVs, computers are not TVs.  Standardisation should not be carried to the level of ensuring that the more capable devices have a worse experience than the least capable.  Normal practice is not necessarily best practice...

I'd also like (but have no expectation that it would even be considered!!) the option of having lists without images everywhere.  I have my books, CDs, and DVDs arranged edgeways on along my shelves, and can readily browse them by title.  I do not have them face on, as that would take up ten times the wall space, and be that much harder to use.  Yes the images are pretty and all, but I don't have a media server in order to look at its GUI, I have it to find and play media - it's the media I want to look at.

Paul

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick
10 hours ago, pwhodges said:

My version of the absurd is that I only have my libraries on my home page, as small tiles.  These all used to show, twenty of them filling the screen on my phone and tablet, whether horizontal or vertical.  Now I have just two rows at the top of an otherwise empty screen, showing one and a bit tiles on each row when vertical (two and a bit when horizontal).  So to get to all my twenty libraries I have to scroll horizontally several times (slowly, so as not to overshoot).  If this, as opposed to seeing all the tiles on the screen (which was the case only six months ago) is some kind of "standard", then the standard is crap.

I get it for TVs, which are inherently a clumsy way to handle things; but phones are not TVs, tablets are not TVs, computers are not TVs.  Standardisation should not be carried to the level of ensuring that the more capable devices have a worse experience than the least capable.  Normal practice is not necessarily best practice...

I'd also like (but have no expectation that it would even be considered!!) the option of having lists without images everywhere.  I have my books, CDs, and DVDs arranged edgeways on along my shelves, and can readily browse them by title.  I do not have them face on, as that would take up ten times the wall space, and be that much harder to use.  Yes the images are pretty and all, but I don't have a media server in order to look at its GUI, I have it to find and play media - it's the media I want to look at.

Paul

I agree with everything Paul said.

I would add Emby sorely lacks an Admin View; less eye candy and more tool approach 

Speaking of viewing options (without pictures in his post), am I going crazy or were there in the past, a few choice views option that were offered (with or without some infos or some other choices)

Edited by CharleyVarrick

GrimReaper
On 3/4/2021 at 2:22 AM, spincycle999 said:

From 1.8.67 beta onwards there is an "All items" button in Collection screen, that gives you both of what you're asking for: vertical scroll for items within and year underneath poster. So, opt for Beta program (or sideload beta app) and up you go. 

As a sidenote, Year/PG in Collection view is present once you Enter/Exit any item Detail screen.

crusher11

The direction of scrolling isn't really the problem, it's that on the horizontal scrolling version there's only one row, so you can only see six movies at once. The vertical scrolling version has six columns, so you can see 18-24 movies at once. 

• Like 2

CharleyVarrick
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

The direction of scrolling isn't really the problem, it's that on the horizontal scrolling version there's only one row, so you can only see six movies at once. The vertical scrolling version has six columns, so you can see 18-24 movies at once. 

Not sure of the exact wording for it but I call it dynamic display that would adapt how content is displayed on whatever kind of screen one is using, similar to sliding Tetris tiles.

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

Didn't quite get that one? 

This is Collection All items view, isn't this what the OP was asking for: vertical presentation, scrolling and Year? 

Screenshot 2021-03-06 123205.png

rbjtech

What would help this of course is Collections within Collections ... possible with the current Release (as I have mine now..) but as I understand it, will break in the new Beta/Release.

This WILL make a large Collection such as MCU unwieldly - even with a vertical stack, a horizontal stack only would be horrible.

Capture.PNG

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
Just now, CharleyVarrick said:

Unless I'm mistaken I think he meant Home view (?)

This is one click away, there's a dedicated button. 

CharleyVarrick
32 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Didn't quite get that one? 

This is Collection All items view, isn't this what the OP was asking for: vertical presentation, scrolling and Year? 

Screenshot 2021-03-06 123205.png

Hi Grim,

can you explain how it is possible you show parental ratings under poster and titles ???

In another thread, I am DESPERATLY looking for this (showing sort by criteria)

Here's how collection looks over here🤨

image.thumb.png.ec6d3343a0e7038ff78d163a9d549994.png

Edited by CharleyVarrick