integration with hyperion

ericxchiu

fallenwitch3r

Many months later..are there any updates? I'm looking forward to see this implemented 

1 hour ago, fallenwitch3r said:

Many months later..are there any updates? I'm looking forward to see this implemented 

Hi, what are you asking for exactly? This sounds like a great project for a community contributor.

On 7/4/2022 at 9:38 AM, Spaceboy said:

i have a lytmi - its better than that. also better than the hyperion solution i was using before the lytmi

@Spaceboy @chef

And the lack of hdmi 2.1 support & washed out colors with hdr/dv sources was not a deal breaker for you? Philips just announced a new sync tv app for Samsungs, and I'm hoping that eventually comes to other TV brands as well. No more sync boxes.

fallenwitch3r

I use the emby android TV app on my TCL with android TV. The Android Hyperion app grabs the Screeninfo and send it to my server which is running the Hyperion server software. 

It works with the emby alternative player like VLC or MX Player. But I want to use the default emby media player. 

It should be possible to add something into the default media player code to allow the Hyperion app to grab the Screeninfos.

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, Luke said:

@Spaceboy  @chef

And the lack of hdmi 2.1 support & washed out colors with hdr/dv sources was not a deal breaker for you? Philips just announced a new sync tv app for Samsungs, and I'm hoping that eventually comes to other TV brands as well. No more sync boxes.

it wasnt a dealbreaker because its the best option out there at the moment. i've been through self built sync boxes built on rasperry pi, off the shelf sync boxes using raspberry pi and now using lytmi. its a good price and i don't have a hdr tv. govee with the camera was not an option. no philips tv with ambilight has floated my boat so far (both price and function). my only issue with the lytmi is the slight lag.

in terms of "Philips just announced a new sync tv app for Samsungs, i need more info to be convinced as i probably wouldnt use Philips Hue lighting. they perform poorly versus non branded zigbee devices (which is all a Phillips Hue light is) on both a luminance and price perspective. i also won't have a Philips Hue hub in the house (although its not clear from the article that its required) because as far as possible i only use locally controlled devices through Home Assistant. its also not clear to what degree the lag would be solved

i may be in the market for a new tv over the next year or so though so its something to keep an eye on.

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, Luke said:

What do you have plugged into it?

i have my main three entertainment boxes plugged into my soundbar and the lytmi sits between the soundbar and the tv. i don't use any smart apps on my tv (samsung) and wouldnt. i have a few other games consoles plugged directly into the tv, audio to the soundbar through ARC, but obvs no lytmi effect

1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

i have my main three entertainment boxes plugged into my soundbar and the lytmi sits between the soundbar and the tv. i don't use any smart apps on my tv (samsung) and wouldnt. i have a few other games consoles plugged directly into the tv, audio to the soundbar through ARC, but obvs no lytmi effect

If you try disabling hdr on the entertainment boxes then restart the lytmi you'll see much better color on it, which is how it's supposed to look, but of course then you lose hdr on the TV. Check Amazon reviews and questions and answers, they acknowledge it doesn't properly understand hdr sources.

1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

it wasnt a dealbreaker because its the best option out there at the moment. i've been through self built sync boxes built on rasperry pi, off the shelf sync boxes using raspberry pi and now using lytmi. its a good price and i don't have a hdr tv. govee with the camera was not an option. no philips tv with ambilight has floated my boat so far (both price and function). my only issue with the lytmi is the slight lag.

in terms of "Philips just announced a new sync tv app for Samsungs, i need more info to be convinced as i probably wouldnt use Philips Hue lighting. they perform poorly versus non branded zigbee devices (which is all a Phillips Hue light is) on both a luminance and price perspective. i also won't have a Philips Hue hub in the house (although its not clear from the article that its required) because as far as possible i only use locally controlled devices through Home Assistant. its also not clear to what degree the lag would be solved

i may be in the market for a new tv over the next year or so though so its something to keep an eye on.

Yea but I've recently tested all three of the major options, with govee being the other one. Philips is very extensive but is by far the most polished of the three.

Spaceboy
27 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you try disabling hdr on the entertainment boxes then restart the lytmi you'll see much better color on it, which is how it's supposed to look, but of course then you lose hdr on the TV. Check Amazon reviews and questions and answers, they acknowledge it doesn't properly understand hdr sources.

i don't have a hdr tv so i don't think that affects me. interesting that lytmi's website still claims it supports hdr, although i guess their definition of "support" is flexible! but they also claimed they would upgrade the neo sync box to hdmi 2.1...

26 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yea but I've recently tested all three of the major options, with govee being the other one. Philips is very extensive but is by far the most polished of the three.

so whats your current preference? i probably will go for a philips - either ambilight or this new sync app - when i replace my tv

9 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

i don't have a hdr tv so i don't think that affects me. interesting that lytmi's website still claims it supports hdr, although i guess their definition of "support" is flexible! but they also claimed they would upgrade the neo sync box to hdmi 2.1...

so whats your current preference? i probably will go for a philips - either ambilight or this new sync app - when i replace my tv

By support it means they can pass it through to the TV, but the box can't properly decode it at this stage for the lights. And then Dolby vision would be a whole other matter on top of that. Lytmi is a rebranded Chinese knock off box in case that wasn't obvious already. 

If you have the budget my preference is Philips. The app has a large amount of customization, both for important things and then also little details. It just gives you an impression of polish as well as having the largest community where you can tell they've incorporated a lot of feedback. Plus with Philips there is a good chance you don't need the sync box in future thanks to the new TV app.

Next best option is waiting for the upcoming sync box that govee just announced. Their UI is also very nice. Lots of options to play with, I just don't like the current camera based system that they have.

BillOatman
On 7/31/2022 at 3:34 AM, fallenwitch3r said:

To use an external player is not the best solution. There are many missing features if you use such a player app like vlc. There are no chapter, intro skip is not working and seeking preview is not available. 

You can add an option to enable the Hyperion grabber support for internal or external screen grabbers.

I think what you will need is to find someone who has this hardware and is also capable and willing to create/support the plugin.  If I had the equipment I would look into it.  You could try asking for help in the plugins area, you might find more plugin authors in there.  I stumbled upon this thread accidentally.

Good Luck!

Spaceboy
13 hours ago, Luke said:

By support it means they can pass it through to the TV, but the box can't properly decode it at this stage for the lights. And then Dolby vision would be a whole other matter on top of that. Lytmi is a rebranded Chinese knock off box in case that wasn't obvious already. 

If you have the budget my preference is Philips. The app has a large amount of customization, both for important things and then also little details. It just gives you an impression of polish as well as having the largest community where you can tell they've incorporated a lot of feedback. Plus with Philips there is a good chance you don't need the sync box in future thanks to the new TV app.

Next best option is waiting for the upcoming sync box that govee just announced. Their UI is also very nice. Lots of options to play with, I just don't like the current camera based system that they have.

philips = https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/hue-play-hdmi-sync-box-/8718699704803#overview ? even in their promotional video i still notice a little bit of lag which is a bit disappointing. but 4 inputs (jncluding that one of these could be from an avr with multiple inputs too) is good. price for the box isnt terrible. may well be making an order...

no - govee camera was a non starter for me too

MrMackey

If you have a LGTV you can root it.
And with Piccap grab the picture directly from the TV.  
You can also install Hyperion.NG directly on your TV.

So you don't need any extra hardware except for an ESP to control your LED's.

It works without restrictions Dolby Vision, HDR no problem.

The project is called Openlgtv

https://openlgtv.github.io/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

philips = https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/hue-play-hdmi-sync-box-/8718699704803#overview ? even in their promotional video i still notice a little bit of lag which is a bit disappointing. but 4 inputs (jncluding that one of these could be from an avr with multiple inputs too) is good. price for the box isnt terrible. may well be making an order...

no - govee camera was a non starter for me too

I don't feel like there's a lag. It also has options to control his quickly it responds. When it's too quick it can flicker at times. When you slow it down it's smoother and blends more. It's just like lytmi diffuser option.

Spaceboy
20 hours ago, Luke said:

I don't feel like there's a lag. It also has options to control his quickly it responds. When it's too quick it can flicker at times. When you slow it down it's smoother and blends more. It's just like lytmi diffuser option.

well i shall find out this afternoon :)

4 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

well i shall find out this afternoon :)

Cool. I'm curious to know your overall thoughts.  Truthfully since you're on an sdr TV you'd be fine sticking with lytmi until you upgrade. The only reason you'd switch right now I think is for the much better app control that you get with Philips. That part is no comparison.