integration with hyperion

ericxchiu

ericxchiu

im thinking a way to capture video and send it to hyperion and drive the led strip, which creates ambilight effect

however, my tv which runs tizen has no app support like kodi, or other app can capture video, emby is my only hope...

can emby team add a new feature/plugin which can talk to hyperion server? or opens up the api for what's currently playing

something like https://libreelec.wiki/configuration/hypercon

• Like 2

chef
18 hours ago, ericxchiu said:

im thinking a way to capture video and send it to hyperion and drive the led strip, which creates ambilight effect

however, my tv which runs tizen has no app support like kodi, or other app can capture video, emby is my only hope...

can emby team add a new feature/plugin which can talk to hyperion server? or opens up the api for what's currently playing

something like https://libreelec.wiki/configuration/hypercon

Are you splitting the hdmi signal to a raspi? Or something different?

ericxchiu
11 minutes ago, chef said:

Are you splitting the hdmi signal to a raspi? Or something different?

i dont want to add hdmi source to my tv, my current idea is having tizen to play videos, which syncs (through emby webhook) another playback in RP with hyperion and drives led strip, it's not perfect, but should work (still pending my parts to test)

as what i mentioned, it would be very cool if emby can directly talk to hyperion with current playback screen, so that hyperion can control the led strip

this may or may not be the relevant api for this integration: https://docs.hyperion-project.org/en/json/Control.html#set-image

Spaceboy

i'm doing this but on a dedicated rasp pi setup that intercepts all video between the avr and tv

ericxchiu
9 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

i'm doing this but on a dedicated rasp pi setup that intercepts all video between the avr and tv

i understand this is trouble-free setup, but for my case, i dont want buy unnecessary player just for the ambilight and it doesnt perform as good as the tv build in player

chef
On 3/1/2021 at 7:12 AM, ericxchiu said:

i understand this is trouble-free setup, but for my case, i dont want buy unnecessary player just for the ambilight and it doesnt perform as good as the tv build in player

So what do you need? A plugin with an endpoint to parse frame data from the stream? 

ericxchiu
10 hours ago, chef said:

So what do you need? A plugin with an endpoint to parse frame data from the stream? 

yes, directly from the emby client to hyperion or led controller

chef
22 hours ago, ericxchiu said:

yes, directly from the emby client to hyperion or led controller

I've been looking into hyperion, I'm not entirely sure I'm able to do this. 

What does the data, that hyperion need, look like? Do we try to parse pixel data, or do we just take a frame of video every couple seconds and pass of an image to hyprion? 

Perhaps I'd better rip the raspi outta my smart mirror...

@Spaceboy are you using hdmi to raspi?

ericxchiu
16 minutes ago, chef said:

I've been looking into hyperion, I'm not entirely sure I'm able to do this. 

What does the data, that hyperion need, look like? Do we try to parse pixel data, or do we just take a frame of video every couple seconds and pass of an image to hyprion? 

Perhaps I'd better rip the raspi outta my smart mirror...

@Spaceboy are you using hdmi to raspi?

hyperion has api to control the led strip, maybe you want to look into set-image (https://docs.hyperion-project.org/en/json/Control.html#set-image) by feeding in Data of image as Base64

my ambilight parts are still shipping, so cant test at this moment

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
Youssef88

Hi,

Is there any update on this? I'm trying to achieve the same behaviour, and started reading throught the docs hoping to develop a plugin, but I'm not sure if there is any available API for this.

Is it possible to extract the currently displayed frame (a low res version would be enough) with something like 

ISessionManager.PlaybackProgress

The idea is to have a client-agnostic "ambilight" setup with Emby Server being able to notify a listening Hyperion service.

More or less:

• Emby sends frame info continuosly during playback to Hyperion
  • Emby notifies Hyperion with playback events (start, stop, pause...) -> I think this is possible with  ISessionManager already.

I don't have the details about the image specifics Hyperion needs yet, but once we can extract the actual image from the playback it should be feasible to transform and push.

Regards.

On 9/27/2021 at 7:24 AM, Youssef88 said:

but once we can extract the actual image from the playback it should be feasible to transform and push.

Hi @Youssef88 there is no api to do this, but what you're using can be used to get the path to the media which you can do your own processing on.

Youssef88

Thanks for the response @Luke, I'll check the posibilities and performance with FFmpeg, DirectShow or Media Foundation and share the progress.

Regards.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
fallenwitch3r

@Luke I tried to used ambilight with emby but the emby internal player doesn't allow to grab the screen information. The Leds are working using the menu but they turned off on media playback. I tried the mx player as an alternative media player for emby. The leds are working now but the app isn't that good like the emby media player.

Kodi, MX Player or the VLC media player also works nice. I think it's an player problem. Can you or one of the emby dev's do some magic that the emby internal media player allow the screen grabber to use the video information?

Edited by fallenwitch3r

7 hours ago, fallenwitch3r said:

@Luke I tried to used ambilight with emby but the emby internal player doesn't allow to grab the screen information. The Leds are working using the menu but they turned off on media playback. I tried the mx player as an alternative media player for emby. The leds are working now but the app isn't that good like the emby media player.

Kodi, MX Player or the VLC media player also works nice. I think it's an player problem. Can you or one of the emby dev's do some magic that the emby internal media player allow the screen grabber to use the video information?

Re: 

chef

Just as an aside. I found a company that makes cool backlighting for your tv.

This is us playing Xbox with the backlights.

But it works great with emby and movies too.

fallenwitch3r

Its not a big deal If you use an external hdmi device but it is not working with Android TV and the emby app. It seems that this is a player problem. Emby doesn't allow to grab the screen content. Kodi or vlc allows the screen grabber app to use the screen information.

fallenwitch3r

@Luke 

I ask here again because this topic is from January last year. And no results since then.

I tried to used ambilight with emby but the emby internal player doesn't allow to grab the screen information.

The Leds are working using the menu but they turned off on media playback. I tried the mx player as an alternative media player for emby. The leds are working now but the app isn't that good like the emby media player. There areany missing features like chapters.

The LEDs won't light up if I use emby to play my media. The LEDs working If I use Kodi or VLC. Kodi have his own media player and Kodi don't use the default android media player app.

I use an screen grabber.

https://github.com/abrenoch/hyperion-android-grabber

And the Hyperion software in combination with adalight LEDs and an Arduino generates the ambilight effect.

https://github.com/hyperion-project

All LEDs working during the navigation through the emby menu. But the LEDs turned off if I start one of my media files through emby. But everything works fine if I use an alternate player like mx player or vlc as an alternate player for emby.

Emby don't allow the scree grabber app above to identify what's on the screen. So Hyperion receive no video information for the ambilght effect.

Com.tcl.ui_mediacenter is my default media player app on my tcl TV.

I think the problem here is embys internal player. 

Edited by fallenwitch3r

Spaceboy
20 hours ago, chef said:

Just as an aside. I found a company that makes cool backlighting for your tv.

This is us playing Xbox with the backlights.

But it works great with emby and movies too.

i have a lytmi - its better than that. also better than the hyperion solution i was using before the lytmi

• Like 1

chef
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

i have a lytmi - its better than that. also better than the hyperion solution i was using before the lytmi

Yes lytmi that is what we have! Awesome! I could remember what we bought, but yes this video show lytmi. 

fallenwitch3r

I was able to fix it on smart YouTube next. There is an extra option/fix to allow screen grabbing.

Edited by fallenwitch3r

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
fallenwitch3r

To use an external player is not the best solution. There are many missing features if you use such a player app like vlc. There are no chapter, intro skip is not working and seeking preview is not available. 

You can add an option to enable the Hyperion grabber support for internal or external screen grabbers.

Edited by fallenwitch3r