Playing a local file

danergo

danergo

If I put some movies onto the internal storage of FireTV Stick, can I somehow ask Emby Client (on the same FireTV Stick obviously) to playback these local files?

Hi.  No, that is not possible at this time unless you also installed the server, configured it to find that file and then connected to that server (but, on a Fire stick, I don't think that would really work all that well).

danergo

That was my fear :)

How about a "Download" option on the FireTV Stick? Is it possible to have it? It would be amazing to solve this issue when I'm far from Emby Server, and in the morning I select the files I need, and Emby just downloads them right onto the internal storage of the stick.

Currently there is no "Download" option, is it hard to enable? As on the web interface there is a download option. Also there is a "Download to", but it only lists my Android devices, and not the FireTV (although it is also Android)..

Can you do something for this? I'm a premium user, and have no idea how can I support you more, but let me know :)

Thanks,

Cheers

danergo

There is a solution to upgrade the stick's storage by any USB drive, so literally unlimited :) Otherwise, currently it has around 3-4G free, so not too much, but in case you are far from Emby, in the morning you can ask it to download 1 movie, and then at the evening you can watch it with VLC or other local file player.

Now this is a bit hassle, I have to download it with my computer, and then also transfer to the stick. (I'd prefer computer-less solution)

One thing: is the FireTV's version open source? I could easily add that feature for myself then - even if it's not on the feature list or not interested by others :)

Thx!

danergo

Im a bit lost, but thanks Luke!

This would help as this sideloaded app then can download the file and then play it back from local storage?

• 2 weeks later...
danergo

@Luke: just one more thing here which might be unrelated (in this case sorry):

I'm planning to download some series onto my phone with Emby: it has a lot of free storage and while I'm close to the NAS it seems a viable idea.

Then, when I travel, I can watch those series offline on my phone which is perfect for long hauls.

And then to get onto the point of my question: is it somehow possible to stream these offline files from Android phone to FireTV stick?

(I know the obvious, I can transfer these files from phone to stick's internal/external storage, then play it with VLC)

You can also sideload our standard app, and set the display mode to TV:

Thanks, I have tried this, but if the connection is unreliable, download fails. Even for SCP it needed 100 times of retrials and resuming for a single file, so I don't blame MB: downloading when you are already far away is simply doesn't seem feasible (at least compared to buffering your media to phone before you get far away)

Thanks a lot!

Edited by danergo

Hi, no that's not possible, but it's something we'd like to support in the future.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 11:21 PM, danergo said:

If I put some movies onto the internal storage of FireTV Stick, can I somehow ask Emby Client (on the same FireTV Stick obviously) to playback these local files?

It would be best to use Kodi or VLC for this if you're using an Android device.  I've no experience with Fire devices but understand that they somewhat come from the same OS family tree as Android so it would likely work on them as well.  Both Kodi and VLC will load to Android device and play local files from device storage as well as connect to network attached storage.

Edited by EZEd
spell correct

danergo
1 minute ago, EZEd said:

It would be best to use Kodi or VLC for this if you're using and Android device.  I've no experience with Fire devices but understand that they somewhat come from the same OS family tree as Android so it would likely work on them as well.  Both Kodi and VLC will load to Android device and play local files from device storage as well as connect to network attached storage.

Yes, at the end I've used VLC for that, but honestly it's really tedious to copy files onto FireTV with it's remote, I'd prefer something which "just work", like what I've described and Luke confirmed as some possible future function in MB. :)

Does Fire TV not use external MicroSD or USB attachment for local storage?  Again, I'm not familiar with the platform so not sure.  The Android devices that I have all have MicroSD slots as well as USB connectors for external storage devices.  If (and when) I need to play local storage at the client (or mostly when I need to sideload something to them), I just place it either on MicroSD or USB flash.  Once connected, I then have the option to go into Kodi or VLC and play files directly from the SD or flash drive.  I hardly ever have to do this but it is available if needed.  If I were to leave the SD card or Flash drive mounted it effectively would become like permanent local storage.  Again, the other thing these two apps allow is connection to local network storage as a drive source.  It works at the directory file level and doesn't have the pretty graphics, user interface and eye candy of Emby but it will get you to your files for playback.

I only run Emby server on a PC and everything else in the house is a client.  So any files that need to be presented on the client side are loaded first to the PC and served out through Emby.  I don't use Kodi or VLC as a normal standard practice but I know it's available this way if I needed to do something local at the client level.  Just offering suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 11:06 AM, danergo said:

Thanks! Indeed it sounds great :)

Are MB's planned features and schedules available somewhere?

Hi, yes just follow the testing area in the community to see what new features are being added to beta testing builds.