Episodes that haven't come out yet, but are present, can't be played

Tobii

So if I navigate into the season overview of a series, I see all of the announced episodes with their release date. That's fine and all.

Due to a difference in release cycles, I get episodes 1 day earlier than their overseas release date. So it might happen that I have an episode in my season that has officially not been released yet. I can watch this episode from the 'Next up' section, but not when I click on it through the season overview:

97XBp8r.jpg

Episode 7 is the problematic one.

EFUXQwr.jpg

You can see that the episode is there, since it has picked up the video metadata, i.e. 1080p, AAC, CC.

Would be nice if the episode could be displayed correctly when it's part of my library. :)

Ofherwise Emby is fantastic and I have 0 complaints whatsoever!

Edited by Tobii

Happy2Play

But that suggests client/server does not know a physical episode is present.  I add future episodes all the time and have no issues but am not a Android user to say it is a defect in a specific area.

I know in the web client you will see Missing/Unaired without a play button do to they are virtual items.

What do you see in the web client for this episode?

It had the exact same issue. I was able to press play via the Play Icon which overlays the thumbnail, but clicking it just loaded indefinitely. After running a Library scan manually, the episode is correctly present.

Do you have an idea why it did show up in my "Next up" section and I could watch it, but not in the library itself?

I've noticed this a few times already, but the "auto add" of new files has had some quirks ever since I switched to a new server hardware. It worked perfectly on my old Synology NAS, but on my newer model it's been hit or miss. I've always just ran a manual scan, if it didn't pick up the files again. Not sure why this is happening. I have real-time monitoring enabled for my library. I have a ext4 filesystem and my library is 40TB in size.

Edited by Tobii

This comes up every now and then but a library scan needs to run after a new episode comes in if it was previously there as a "future" or "missing" one.

Happy2Play

So this is the same as all the other topics on having physical item but UI still showing missing.  Basically the virtual item is not cleared out properly when physical item is added or the process did not complete in RTM and a normal library scan fixes it.

6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So this is the same as all the other topics on having physical item but UI still showing missing.  Basically the virtual item is not cleared out properly when physical item is added or the process did not complete in RTM and a normal library scan fixes it.

Yes, the process that completes the operation of replacing a virtual item with a real one is the library scan.  This is just another one of those situations where this one feature complicates things beyond what you might imagine :).