60: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

maxleonca

maxleonca

Hi,
I have a Roku Ultra and it has been working without any problems until 2 days ago when suddenly I'm getting the error in the title.
The Emby Client version for the Roku is 4.0.4, I'm unable to download the Beta to check due to my location.   The server version is: 4.6.022(beta) and I'm using a cert by Let's Encrypt.

Please advise

maxleonca

@luke, I get the error when I select the server on the Roku
@q-droid, I'm due in 4 days but it has been working without problems for over 6 months and the renewal and conversion is automated.

12 hours ago, maxleonca said:

but it has been working without problems for over 6 months

It is possible that Roku changed something in how they validate it.  Not having the entire chain is a problem on some devices.

maxleonca

Here is the snapshot, I tried taking it with the utility from Roku but it doesn't see the pop up with the error, as a matter of fact it doesn't show anything.
In any case here it is.

Also after getting the crt from Let's encrypt this is how is converted:

openssl pkcs12 -export -out /path/to/save/emby.pfx -inkey /etc/letsencrypt/live/emby.mydomain.com/privkey.pem -in /etc/letsencrypt/live/emby.mydomain.com/fullchain.pem

I

roku-emby-error.jpg

I understand that you're saying nothing has changed, however if Roku is suddenly rejecting the certificate there's nothing we can do to force it to accept it.

• 11 months later...
16 minutes ago, btate1989 said:

Did you ever fix this issue? I just bought a roku tv and this is the issue I keep running into.  

Hi there, what kind of SSL certificate are you using?

• 1 year later...

I understand hesitation with reviving a necro thread but since this is the *only* thread that comes up on a google search with the EXACT error "-60: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate" text you get when trying to connect to a https emby server with a Roku device (and it hadn't been answered by the people that asked the question).... Leaving those of us with the same issue to dig-dig-dig to try to figure it out....

Here's my story, which is why I scratched my head so much up until now....

• I've had a yearly SSL in place for a few years; I had SSL setup externally with Emby, and everyhing worked. (I.e., Samsung Smart TVs, the android app, apple TV, Roku, browser, etc).
  • I recently setup NGINX so I could use a reverse proxy to internal service (including Emby) on the same SSL port. (so using emby.name.com or acme.name.com for example).
  • Upon following setup on other threads in here, and overall nginx guides, I had a setup working PERFECTLY on everything listed above EXCEPT for ROKU.
  • I'm guessing the problem may exist on other devices as well, but for the intent of this thread (the text Google returns), this appeared to be unique to Roku.

How to find out if your issue is the same as mine, and maybe those who started this thread:

I tested my certificate chain here:

https://www.geocerts.com/ssl-checker

It told me I did not have a complete chain, it returned an error: "A valid Root CA Certificate could not be located". (If yours is green for all entries, then the issue is something else).

As suggested in another thread here I ran:

echo | \
    openssl s_client -servername domain.com -connect domain.com:port 2>/dev/null | \
    openssl x509 -text

Here's a suprising find.... Comparing the response against the KNOWN working Emby-with HTTPS direct (not using NGINX in the middle) vs. the NGINX proxy with HTTPS in the middle, the result was identical (no differences). (I expected a difference, since my keys were the same!).

The solution is that you need to ensure the FULLCHAIN is being presented by your certificate (i.e., pem). Described here where someone else did similar troubleshooting:

https://tsunderechen.gitlab.io/2020/04/nginx-ssl-certificate-fullchain-vs-cert/

There's many ways to get a fullchain cert, but in my case, I simply concatenaated them both like so:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
ABCDEFG...12345
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
ABCDEFG...12345
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

The first entry was my domain pem, the second was the intermediate (CA Root) pem

That was it. It works now.

• Thanks 2