Emby Theater Full Screen

bling26

I have a weird problem that only seems to be happening on one Windows 10 desktop and only to Emby Theater. Whenever I open ET, it is not full screen, there is always a small sliver on both the bottom and right side. If I press the maximize button or full screen during playback, all is well but I have to do this every time I open ET. Again, I only have 1 computer doing this but all other apps work fine on that same computer. Not sure what information is relevant to help.

ET desktop install, NOT modern app
Nvidia 1030 4K 60Hz
Windows 10 2004

Things I've tried to remedy:

Uninstalled/reinstall ET
Manually dragged and maximized ET and closed
Manually removed windowstate.json file in appdata

I really do not want to have to reformat my HTPC for a small issue like this so any help is appreciated. 

Hi, do you have anything odd in your windows setup? This is not normal and just from some quick testing, I can't get this to happen.

cyburbanyte

What version of Windows are you using?  This definitely happens on Win10.64 v20H2 19042.789

I have 4 machines that all exhibit the same behavior.  One uses an NVIDIA adapter, two use Intel Graphics, and one uses an AMD Trinity - i.e it does not seem to be related to the video adapter / driver.

Emby or the electron subsystem seems to miss read the parameters of the screen resolution.  X and Y gen as -11 instead of 0.

What windowstate.json should read:

{"x":0,"y":0,"width":1920,"height":1080,"state":"Maximized"}

the erroneous values generated:

{"x":-11,"y":-11,"width":1942,"height":1102,"state":"Maximized"}

Another user suggested editing windowstate.json and then marking it read only.  This does fix the problem.  Unsure of the side effects of this. Can you comment on that?

thanks.

18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, do you have anything odd in your windows setup? This is not normal and just from some quick testing, I can't get this to happen.

Not really. It is a simple HTPC with Emby, Netflix, Hulu and other various online streaming services. I would say the only thing I do differently is run in Tablet Mode because that works best for navigating with remote and on big TV. The full screen issue happens in Tablet mode and regular desktop mode.

17 hours ago, cyburbanyte said:

What version of Windows are you using?  This definitely happens on Win10.64 v20H2 19042.789

I have 4 machines that all exhibit the same behavior.  One uses an NVIDIA adapter, two use Intel Graphics, and one uses an AMD Trinity - i.e it does not seem to be related to the video adapter / driver.

Emby or the electron subsystem seems to miss read the parameters of the screen resolution.  X and Y gen as -11 instead of 0.

What windowstate.json should read:

{"x":0,"y":0,"width":1920,"height":1080,"state":"Maximized"}

the erroneous values generated:

{"x":-11,"y":-11,"width":1942,"height":1102,"state":"Maximized"}

Another user suggested editing windowstate.json and then marking it read only.  This does fix the problem.  Unsure of the side effects of this. Can you comment on that?

thanks.

Well I was wrong, I thought it was 2004 but it was still 1909. I updated to 2004 this morning but still have the same issue. 

I know I recently purchased a new AVR and upgraded from Intel integrated graphics to a new discrete Nvidia 1030 so I can do 4K but I THINK the issue started well after both of those upgrades. I can always test by bypassing the AVR and removing the Nvidia card but I haven't yet. 

I will take a look at the other items you list when I get a chance, thanks.

Well you were right, the value was different than the 1920x1080 but even after I changed it and set to read only, it still had the sliver on right side and bottom. :( I will attempt to test removing the Nvidia card and bypassing the newly installed AVR. I will report back once I have a result.

Happy2Play

Yes this is quirky, if you have a mouse connected if you click a couple times in the Header (near top edge) you can change windowed to full screen.  Pretty sure this is a outstanding issue as it has been reported before.  Tested on my tablet as still waiting on parts for my test desktop.  So not sure if there are touch screen quirks also.

windowed.thumb.jpg.9567489d968aa90024360f31209a4e7f.jpg

full.thumb.jpg.15785409027e7c6c04fc371e99407494.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play
update

Happy2Play

I just got ET to launch full screen by setting ET shortcut to Run Maximized and setting Emby.theater.exe Compatibility to "disable full screen optimizations".

**But assume with every update the Emby.Theater.exe will have to be set again as it gets replaced.

Edited by Happy2Play
update

Happy2Play

Hmm removing the "disable full screen optimizations" still launches full screen but my windowstate.json reads this.

{"x":0,"y":0,"width":1366,"height":728,"state":"Fullscreen"}

But it looks like the shortcut allows the Windowed/Fullscreen toggle to work correctly.  Recording the state when closing ET.

Resetting everything ET is launching at previous state.

Edited by Happy2Play

• 3 weeks later...

I have not had a chance to revisit this issue as it not critical and only affecting 1 PC but I will get back to it. Thanks for the new suggestion, I will investigate asap.

raymondjpg

I have the slivers too. Setting compatibility mode for Windows 8 and checking disable full screen optimizations reduces the size of the slivers, but they are still there. I haven't tried editing windowstate.json and then marking it read only yet, but from what others have tried it either does not work, or it is reset after using an external player.

Windows 10 20H2, Intel HD Graphics 620, Yamaha AV Receiver outputting to Sony UHD TV set at 1920x1080 res, using MPC-BE as external player.

I am actually surprised that others are having this issue because I was really starting to feel it was just my computer which is why I got kind of "lazy" to fix it. The issue for me has started being intermittent now too which is even more fun to troubleshoot. The issue is so small that to me it is not even worth the time to try to correct it. I will get back to it soon. Timing is just bad for me now. Thanks for all the great responses though!

raymondjpg

I just updated Emby Theater desktop on another HTPC from 3.0.11 to 3.0.14. This HTPC uses the same Emby Server as the first, and is also running Windows 10 20H2, through an Yamaha AV Receiver outputting to Sony UHD TV set at 1920x1080 res, using MPC-BE as external player.

There were no slivers with 3.0.11. The slivers were immediately apparent on updating to 3.0.14.

It looks like an issue that has emerged with 3.0.14. However, the slivers are not apparent on a PC monitor set at 1280x720, when outputting Emby Theater 3.0.14 directly from the PC hosting the same server.

Neither do I see the slivers on another PC running a different Emby Server, outputting directly to an older Samsung TV set at either 1280x720 or 1920x1280 resolution.

All connections are HDMI.

It would be tempting to think that the issue is only apparent when running Emby Theater through an AV receiver, but that is something that would not be so easy for me to test. I'm waiting on bling26's test for that. Another possibility is that the issue is only apparent when outputting to certain UHD TV sets. I have experienced some issues with one of my HTPCs that Intel confirmed were only apparent with some monitors, notably TV sets.

However, from my experience of updating one of my PCs it appears clear that the issue has emerged with Emby Theater 3.014, and as an application that is to be used in HTPCs, has to be able to negotiate AV receivers and a variety of TV sets used as monitors.

Edit I just updated another HTPC from 3.0.11 to 3.0.14, one that also had a direct HDMI connection to the older Samsung TV. No slivers with 3.0.11, slivers appeared following the update to 3.0.14. That suggests the sliver issues are related more to which graphic adapter is in use than to connectivity or type of monitor or TV.

Edited by raymondjpg

bling26
3 hours ago, raymondjpg said:

I just updated Emby Theater desktop on another HTPC from 3.0.11 to 3.0.14. This HTPC uses the same Emby Server as the first, and is also running Windows 10 20H2, through an Yamaha AV Receiver outputting to Sony UHD TV set at 1920x1080 res, using MPC-BE as external player.

There were no slivers with 3.0.11. The slivers were immediately apparent on updating to 3.0.14.

It looks like an issue that has emerged with 3.0.14. However, the slivers are not apparent on a PC monitor set at 1280x720, when outputting Emby Theater 3.0.14 directly from the PC hosting the same server.

Neither do I see the slivers on another PC running a different Emby Server, outputting directly to an older Samsung TV set at either 1280x720 or 1920x1280 resolution.

All connections are HDMI.

It would be tempting to think that the issue is only apparent when running Emby Theater through an AV receiver, but that is something that would not be so easy for me to test. I'm waiting on bling26's test for that. Another possibility is that the issue is only apparent when outputting to certain UHD TV sets. I have experienced some issues with one of my HTPCs that Intel confirmed were only apparent with some monitors, notably TV sets.

However, from my experience of updating one of my PCs it appears clear that the issue has emerged with Emby Theater 3.014, and as an application that is to be used in HTPCs, has to be able to negotiate AV receivers and a variety of TV sets used as monitors.

Edit I just updated another HTPC from 3.0.11 to 3.0.14, one that also had a direct HDMI connection to the older Samsung TV. No slivers with 3.0.11, slivers appeared following the update to 3.0.14. That suggests the sliver issues are related more to which graphic adapter is in use than to connectivity or type of monitor or TV.

Interesting and good finds. I will test mine as soon as possible, most likely tomorrow. Not sure if I listed earlier but I am using an Nvidia 1030 at 4K routed through my Sony AVR to a Vizio TV. I will report back my findings.

raymondjpg
16 minutes ago, bling26 said:

Interesting and good finds. I will test mine as soon as possible, most likely tomorrow. Not sure if I listed earlier but I am using an Nvidia 1030 at 4K routed through my Sony AVR to a Vizio TV. I will report back my findings.

My latest edit suggests that the issue looks to be related more to the graphics adapter being used, than to connectivity or type of monitor or TV in use. In your case, you might start by looking at the change you made with the Nvidia 1030.

bling26
1 hour ago, raymondjpg said:

My latest edit suggests that the issue looks to be related more to the graphics adapter being used, than to connectivity or type of monitor or TV in use. In your case, you might start by looking at the change you made with the Nvidia 1030.

Ok, here are my findings:

My Emby version is also 3.0.14 updated on or before 2-6-2021. My computer was upgraded from Intel Integrated Graphics to the Nvidia 1030 around 12-31-2020. This upgrade was to be able to better use 4K. I am not certain if the issue started around the same time as the upgrade but either way it was close.

1030 to AVR to Vizio at 1080p and 4K = slivers on bottom and right of screen (not full screen)
1030 to Vizio (different HDMI) at 1080p and 4K = slivers on bottom and right of screen (not full screen)
Intel Graphics to AVR to Vizio at 1080p and 4K = slivers on bottom and right of screen (not full screen) (Nvidia card removed but software still installed)
Intel Graphics to Vizio at 1080p and 4K = slivers on bottom and right of screen (not full screen) (Nvidia card removed but software still installed)

I did not test a different monitor because that would be a pain and honestly, that is not going to solve my issue. It was once working fine with my current setup. The only changes I know of are the installation of the Nvidia 1030, new AVR and Emby updating.

Happy2Play

Can you show a image of what you see.  Also what does you windowstate.json say?

It you use your mouse and double click a couple of times at the top edge of ET screen does it change?

Edited by Happy2Play

raymondjpg
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

It you use your mouse and double click a couple of times at the top edge of ET screen does it change?

See image below.

windowstate.json says: {"x":-11,"y":-11,"width":1920,"height":1080,"state":"Maximized"}

Mouse double click does restore full screen.

Emby Slivers.jpg

Happy2Play

I think there is is a glitch somewhere as the json should go FullScreen not Maximized.  But Clicking in the header does accomplish FullScreen.

bling26
14 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Mine is the same as raymondjpg.

I have also changed that .json file to read only and changed windows to always open Emby full screen with no luck.

Happy2Play
34 minutes ago, bling26 said:

Mine is the same as raymondjpg.

I have also changed that .json file to read only and changed windows to always open Emby full screen with no luck.

So you are saying the double click in the header doesn't work for you like it does for raymondjpg?

bling26
7 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

So you are saying the double click in the header doesn't work for you like it does for raymondjpg?

Sorry for the miscommunication.
My screen looks the same as raymondjpg with the slivers of the desktop background showing on both the right side and bottom.
.json reads {"x":-14,"y":-14,"width":3840,"height":2160,"state":"Normal"}
Double clicking title bar DOES correct the full screen issue by maximizing the Emby window to full screen. You can also click on the maximize Windows button in the top right corner.

Info1

Good morning,

I am seeing this on my Intel NUC as well as assumed it was a driver issue or Windows. I can always click the maximize icon but need to do this every time it starts. 

Tried the setting to Maximize as well but no dice. 

Minor issue but like to see a resolution as my background is red and show up poorly for movies. 

Thanks

m