Live TV Limit Based on Available Tuners

devz3ro

It is my understanding that Emby consumes a Live TV stream before it sends the data to the client.

Whether it's Transcoded, Direct Played, or Direct Streamed, it's all cached somewhere on the host that Emby Server is running on (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Now, as long as this is true, how difficult would it be to add the feature of allowing multiple users watch a Live TV program, but not beyond the available (user set) tuner count?

Right now there is a Live TV setting where I can limit the amount of active Live TV streams, and it works great.

But I'm not trying to set a hard limit on the amount of streams, I'm trying to set a limit on the number of streams based on the availability of tuners.

Example:

3 x HDHomeRun Tuners added to Emby.

User A: Channel 2

User B: Channel 2

User C: Channel 2

User D: Channel 4

User E: Channel 5

User F: Channel 2

User G: Attempts to tune Channel 6, but is denied because all tuners are in use and the channel request is outside of our in-use tuners.

Logic:

In the above example, if my understanding of stream consumption is correct - Users A, B, C, and F would only consume 1 tuner, allowing Users D & E to open their own sessions. User G is denied because all tuner sessions are in use, but will be granted access if he / she decides to watch either channel 2, 4, or 5.

Edited by devz3ro

When User G requests a tuner, only 3 tuners are in use and User G is requesting to use a tuner already in use so User G "taps into" that stream.

14 hours ago, devz3ro said:

Now, as long as this is true, how difficult would it be to add the feature of allowing multiple users watch a Live TV program, but not beyond the available (user set) tuner count?

Hi.  I'm afraid I don't understand the request.  Any request beyond the available tuners is already denied.