Chris2

i think any distro that can run the latest mono is fine. x86/64 - the app is x86 but the os can be either.  vmware workstation is what i currently have installed, so i would say that. i've had some issues with virtual box.

the app builds fine under mono, so at this point it's just a matter of running it and working through issues that arise.

claftchi

What's the plan on transferring the VM over to you? Hopefully I can make one with VMware Player, as I don't want to dish out the money for Workstation.

Dropbox? If i can resolve my issues with virtual box then that would be fine too. I'll take another stab at that this week and let you know.

claftchi

Sounds good, I might be able to share it with skydrive, perhaphs. One more thing, the app has a gui, right? So I need to install X server. Or do you have a cli only version as well?

it only has a tray icon and then the same web interface the windows version has. someone else did mention some gtk# dependency but I haven't dug too far into it yet.

claftchi

Hm okay, I guess I should go ahead and download the Windows version and play around with that as well. :) Don't think the gtk dependency and the tray icon should be any problem, but I think it would be great to have a CLI only version, since I don't have any graphical user environment set up on my server... But I guess I could always compromise on that!

claftchi

Yeah I took a look at it earlier, and, unfortunately, the mono 3.2.4 rpms they have listed for OpenSuse 11.4 are actually for 3.2.3. Anyway, I will try to make a VM for you tonight, haven't had a chance yet.

3.2.3 is fine because i haven't updated my build environment to 3.2.4 yet. either is fine, and any distro is fine as well. whatever is easier for you.

@@claftchi

Virtualbox images are fine. I've got ubuntu up and running on it, but the steps to load/install mono are quite long so if anyone can help with that it would be most appreciated.

claftchi

Okay, so I got mono up and running on OpenSuse 11.4 x86_64, as well as gtk-sharp which I think we need for the little taskbar button. Current size of VM is a whopping 6.2 gb though :(. Hard drive is split into 11 .vmdk files, largest of which is 1.3 gb.

Here are the steps I took from a vanilla install:

Package install order for OpenSuse 11.4 x86_64
----------------------------------------------
1. gcc and dependencies (zypper install gcc)
2. g++ and dependencies (zypper install gcc-c++)
3. make (zypper install make)
4. libgdiplus0 (zypper install libgdiplus0)
5. zlib (zypper install zlib)
6. zlib-devel (zypper install zlib-devel)
7. Download mono 3.2.3 from http://download.mono-project.com/sources/mono/
  A. Commands run
    i. Untar into local directory
    ii. ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
    iii. make
    iv. (as root) make install
8. glib2-devel (zypper install glib2-del)
9. pango-devel (zypper install pango-devel, this will also install dependencies)
10. atk-devel (zypper install atk-devel)
11. gtk2-devel (zypper install gtk2-devel)
12. libglade2-devel (zypper install libglade2-devel)
13. Download gtk-sharp-2.12.21 from http://download.mono-project.com/sources/gtk-sharp212/
  A. Commands run
    i. Untar in local directory
    ii. ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
    iii. make
    iv. (as root) make install

claftchi

So the libgdiplus0 that I installed through the OpenSuse repos is 2.8 Latest one is 2.10, and in case we need to compile that as well, this adds a whole bunch of steps, which includes compiling a recent version of glib, like glib2.39...

1. glib-2.39 from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/glib/2.4/
  A. Pre-reqs
    i. zypper install libffi-devel (installs libffi and libffi-devel)
      a. OpenSuse bug requires us to run as root: echo Description: foo >> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libffi.pc
  B. Commands run
    i. ./configure --prefix=/usr
    ii. make
    iii. (as root) make install
2. libgdiplus 2.10 from http://download.mono-project.com/sources/
  A. Pre-reqs
    i. pkg-config
    ii. glib
    iii. zypper install libjpeg62-devel
    iv. zypper install libtiff-devel (this also installed some other dependencies)
    v. zypper install giflib-devel
    vi. zypper install libpng-devel
    vii. zypper install libexif-devel
    viii. zypper install xorg-x11-devel (this also installed a lot of other dependencies)

B. Commands run
    i. ./configure --prefix=/home/<user>/bin/mono
      a. Results:
    Configuration summary

* Installation prefix = /home/mediabrowser/bin/mono
   * Cairo = 1.6.4 (internal)
   * Text = cairo
   * EXIF tags = yes
   * Codecs supported:

- TIFF: yes
      - JPEG: yes
      - GIF: yes
      - PNG: yes

ii. make
    iii. (as root) make install

claftchi

So after spending 3 hours just messing with the 3.2.5 mono tarball... it turns out that the official tarball is a dud, and mono can't be compiled from it. Hopefully 3.2.6 won't be a dud, but for now, I'm going to go back and use the 3.2.3 tarball. Don't really want to pull from git to get the latest, unless you think I should?

Edited by claftchi

claftchi

Okay, I managed to upload the first VM to my skydrive. Shoot me a PM with your e-mail so I can share it with you. One thing to note is that I could not upload the file "OpenSUSE 64-bit 11.4.vmsd" (where everything before the .vmsd is the VM name) because it was an empty file. So you might need to create an empty file with that name, I'm not too VM savvy.

@@scalda

I've made some code changes for mono over the last few days. Basically i've gotten as far as i can get running mono under windows before i run into bugs that stop me dead in my tracks. (mono bugs in windows that they don't care to fix because it's not their target market). So progress has been made. if i can get a virtual box image with the latest mono all setup for me, i can really start to go full speed into this.

• 2 weeks later...
chrispepper1989

What about a ready to go raspbery pi SD dd? would open you up to more hackers / testers :) 

Mono "does" run on the pi:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4969

b
ut its not exactly consistent, I would be willing to have a stab at running Mono and the MB server on it (if you can provide S.C) and if i get it working package it as a SD :)

-Thanks, Chris 

Beardyname

I'm sure it would "run" on the pi, but unfortunately the pi is a very "weak" device compared to the standard machines we have today, i myself am using one running openelec-xbmc for a playback device, and at that it excels :)

But more cpu heavy things as trans-coding etc i don't see that working very well :/

although i could be wrong, but i would not bet on it :)

abeloin

For those interested, current Mono and MonoDevelop for all major Linux Distributions:

http://www.pokorra.de/2013/12/easy-installation-of-current-mono-and-monodevelop-for-all-major-linux-distributions/

Though MB3 still won't run in Linux because of an issue between SSv4 and mono(still not fixed in 3.2.6) which can be fixed by patching mono with this:

https://github.com/mono/mono/commit/850dd016781e523b5c80b9eb69db5a63a03b585f

Here's some changes to MB3 source code to make it compile and run on Linux(and Windows)

->Edited. See pull request 652 https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/pull/652

Edited by abeloin
  • Like 1

Beardyname

Is this something official or just for us that cannot wait? :P anyhow, would you be able to explain how to apply theese changes and build it :) ?

abeloin

Is this something official or just for us that cannot wait? :P anyhow, would you be able to explain how to apply these changes and build it :) ?

For those who can't wait ;)

Depends on the distro you have, in case of Fedora:

1. Rebuild Pokorra's Mono src rpms with patch for servicestack v4 issue
  2. Instal Mono, libgdi+, Monodevelop
  3. git clone mediabrowser and apply diff
  4. In Monodevelop, open mediabrowser.mono solution.
  5. Build "Release Mono"
  6. Run Mediabrowser.Serve.Mono.exe
  7. Success !
  • Like 1

For those who can't wait ;)

Depends on the distro you have, in case of Fedora:

1. Rebuild Pokorra's Mono src rpms with patch for servicestack v4 issue
  2. Instal Mono, libgdi+, Monodevelop
  3. git clone mediabrowser and apply diff
  4. In Monodevelop, open mediabrowser.mono solution.
  5. Build "Release Mono"
  6. Run Mediabrowser.Serve.Mono.exe
  7. Success !

Wait, really? How far do you get? Where can I find the service stack fixes?