Emby version of "Plex Arcade" - please?

sundevil67

sundevil67
1 hour ago, mxmh said:

could be a help?

https://web.libretro.com/

I remember messing with RetroArch a while back & finding it far too complex..settled on OpenEMU for casual retro gaming. This web version looks neat...but didn't work at all from my end (Firefox/Mac OS)

RanmaCanada

Why?  You're going to be severely limited on what games you can play.  This is a stupid idea.  Think of how many of your family and friends who have no clue about how these things work and all the headaches you as a server hoster will have to deal with explaining to them the ins and outs (or you could just deny them access to that portion).  Build them a pi, load an SD card and be done with it.

• Like 3

sundevil67

@RanmaCanadayou may be right; it could be better in concept than in practice... My true interest lies in the ability to play head-2-head retro titles with a couple of old neighbors to continue childhood grudge-matches in dopey games like NES Pro Wrestling or R/C Pro Am. That's the one thing missing from all of these emulators & IMHO was most of what made these old games fun. These days it's far simpler to play video games with a friend online in another state than it is to compete sitting in the same room (though honestly it's far too complicated to do either).  It also may be an interest that could wane post-pandemic, when there will no doubt be far less time for River Raid on the 'ol Atari 2600.

RanmaCanada
4 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

@RanmaCanadayou may be right; it could be better in concept than in practice... My true interest lies in the ability to play head-2-head retro titles with a couple of old neighbors to continue childhood grudge-matches in dopey games like NES Pro Wrestling or R/C Pro Am. That's the one thing missing from all of these emulators & IMHO was most of what made these old games fun. These days it's far simpler to play video games with a friend online in another state than it is to compete sitting in the same room (though honestly it's far too complicated to do either).  It also may be an interest that could wane post-pandemic, when there will no doubt be far less time for River Raid on the 'ol Atari 2600.

I believe you can do that with almost every single pi build.  As long as they have the same game, etc most of them do have options for online play, at least last time I looked.  There are also tonnes of websites that do this as well.

sundevil67
37 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

I believe you can do that with almost every single pi build.  As long as they have the same game, etc most of them do have options for online play, at least last time I looked.  There are also tonnes of websites that do this as well.

That's the problem though... while I'm lucky enough to be able to say that those neighborhood kids are still good friends, most of them have families. I'm definitely the only one who knows what a "pi build" even is, and don't have to explain to anyone why I spent the evening setting up a Commodore 64 emulator instead of [insert chore here]. I don't think it's just the nostalgia that's made retro gaming popular with folks in my age group these days. You can't get very far in RDR2 during a 15 minute break after lunch, but you can definitely set a few world records in "Excitebike". Point is, for this to work, it has to be as simple as everything else in Emby. I'd do some setup work, but I couldn't expect anyone on the other end to do much more than click something & play.

rhin_tin
On 29.1.2021 at 8:16 PM, sundevil67 said:

Tell me Emby has something like this in the works! I can dream...

https://uncrate.com/plex-arcade-gaming-service/

Since the feature Plex has now brought Emby should bring it as a competitor product too.My entire retro games collection is nicely presented, playable directly from the browser (without configuring external emus, Like in the Gamebrowser addon) that would be a dream. Plex Arcade works with libretro and Parsec via game streaming, maybe there would be a better solution via web player (https://web.libretro.com)? I even briefly considered switching to Plex until I saw this stupid subscription model. IMHO Emby/Plex users don't want a subscription model, (especially if you already have the lifetime subscription) otherwise you could get Netflix, Prime etc and save yourself all the work with your own collection.

Edited by rhin_tin
  • Like 1