[SOLVED] Cannot connect to server

MediaMogal

MediaMogal

The ones that have to do with remove a, the, el, la, etc... from the titles. I put a backup on the desktop and compared the lines above and below that section after removing them and everything was there. Between Cayars and myself we got it running again. It was just a matter of entering http://10.0.0.86:8096 in the browser. Today after restarting the service and enabling it it didn't work.

EDIT:

https://pastebin.com/CucWdX3D

Edited by MediaMogal
  • Like 1

MediaMogal
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Did you make a backup of the file before you edited it?

Yes but as I stated this was done before you got it back up and running for me. It was running fine with the edits, Emby just wasn't including The, A, El, LA, etc.. as part of the title in shows and movies.

Edited by MediaMogal
  • Like 1

MediaMogal
14 hours ago, MediaMogal said:

Actually the lines that were removed were removed yesterday, before we got the server backup and running. All I actually did today was stop the service, reboot and attempt to restart the server.

Let me restate this since everyone seems to have run off.  The lines that were removed do not have anything to do with Emby starting or not starting, and we all know that.  The only reason I stopped the Emby service and then restarted was because new libraries after removing those lines still were ignoring those words in the titles.   This has something to do with the service itself not wanting to start.

[alienprober@TheMothership ~]$ systemctl list-units --type=service 
 UNIT                                                                               > 
 accounts-daemon.service                                                            > 
 bluetooth.service                                                                  > 
 cronie.service                                                                     > 
 dbus.service                                                                       > 
 haveged.service                                                                    > 
 jackett.service                                                                    > 
 kmod-static-nodes.service                                                          > 
 komga.service                                                                      > 
 ldconfig.service                                                                   > 
 lvm2-lvmetad.service                                                               > 
 lvm2-monitor.service                                                               > 
 NetworkManager-wait-online.service                                                 > 
 NetworkManager.service                                                             > 
 pacman-init.service                                                                > 
 polkit.service                                                                     > 
 radarr.service                                                                     > 
 rtkit-daemon.service                                                               > 
 sddm.service                                                                       > 
 snapd.service                                                                      > 
 sonarr.service                                                                     > 
 systemd-binfmt.service                                                             > 
 systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-5684b808\x2d4470\x2d4ddd\x2d8d90\x2d572bb9911b48.s> 
 systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-75EA\x2d520F.service                              > 
 systemd-journal-catalog-update.service                                             > 
 systemd-journal-flush.service                                                      > 
 systemd-journald.service                                                           > 
 systemd-logind.service                                                             > 
 systemd-modules-load.service                                                       > 
 systemd-random-seed.service 

MediaMogal
[Unit]
Description=Emby brings together your videos, music, photos, and live television.
After=network.target

[Service]
User=emby
Group=emby
SupplementaryGroups=render
SupplementaryGroups=video
DynamicUser=true
StateDirectory=emby
ReadWritePaths=-/dev/dri

EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/emby-server
ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server
RestartForceExitStatus=3

AmbientCapabilities=
CapabilityBoundingSet=
LockPersonality=true
ProtectControlGroups=true
ProtectKernelModules=true
ProtectKernelTunables=true

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Quick question, is your server not able to start right now?

If that's the case PM me TeamViewer info and I'll login and try and help you get this back up and running.

• Like 1

Emby wasn't starting due to a system.xml issue which we got resolved and now he's back in business.

MediaMogal
24 minutes ago, Luke said:

What was the issue?

Sorry about that. For some reason removing the section of text that handles removing various words from show titles is breaking the system.xml file. It's a mystery cause I've removed the text more than once in the past and never had this issue. So it looks to be something unique to my system. Thing is I did it this way the same way I've done it before. Stop the Emby service, copy the Emby system.xml file to the desktop, open the Emby system.xml file,  save the changes, go to the original file and rename it, place the edited file from the desktop in place of the renamed file, start enable the service, check it's status and launch for a test. I can do it in my sleep so I don't know why this time it's misbehaving. At this point I don't think it's a direct Emby problem.

Removing it should be fine. If i had to guess, you may have accidentally created malformed xml in the process of doing that. Glad you're back up and running though.

It was mismatched.  There wasn't proper starting and ending sections for the section removed.

MediaMogal
9 hours ago, cayars said:

It was mismatched.  There wasn't proper starting and ending sections for the section removed.

Then that has to be the file itself, cause like I stated when I removed those lines I compared several lines above and below that section and they were unchanged. Something is breaking the file during the process that has nothing to do with the user edit. I do know exactly what I did which was exactly the same thing I did on my previous two installs in other OS's and they worked without issue. Like I said above I have a feeling this is a OS specific issue.

You had and ending tag for the section but no starting tag.

What you want to do is remove the data between the tags.

• Like 1

MediaMogal
3 hours ago, cayars said:

You had and ending tag for the section but no starting tag.

What you want to do is remove the data between the tags.

I really don't know what I was thinking but wouldn't it just be simpler to comment out # each of those lines?

mastrmind11
27 minutes ago, MediaMogal said:

I really don't know what I was thinking but wouldn't it just be simpler to comment out # each of those lines?

or, find a text editor that will match the tags for you.  Sublime Text on mac and Notepad++ on windows/linux do a pretty good job of maintaining sanity.

It's only 3 or 4 lines that needed removing and they all like basically the same.

MediaMogal
14 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

or, find a text editor that will match the tags for you.  Sublime Text on mac and Notepad++ on windows/linux do a pretty good job of maintaining sanity.

As i"ve repeatedly stated the below IS the only text I've been removing. Been doing this since my first Emby install, and it's always worked without issue. 

<string>the</string>
<string>a</string>
<string>an</string>
<string>das</string>
<string>der</string>
<string>el</string>
<string>la</string>

From a copy I still have on the desktop.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ServerConfiguration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <EnableDebugLevelLogging>false</EnableDebugLevelLogging>
  <EnableAutoUpdate>true</EnableAutoUpdate>
  <LogFileRetentionDays>3</LogFileRetentionDays>
  <RunAtStartup>true</RunAtStartup>
  <IsStartupWizardCompleted>true</IsStartupWizardCompleted>
  <EnableUPnP>true</EnableUPnP>
  <PublicPort>8096</PublicPort>
  <PublicHttpsPort>8920</PublicHttpsPort>
  <HttpServerPortNumber>8096</HttpServerPortNumber>
  <HttpsPortNumber>8920</HttpsPortNumber>
  <EnableHttps>false</EnableHttps>
  <IsPortAuthorized>true</IsPortAuthorized>
  <AutoRunWebApp>true</AutoRunWebApp>
  <EnableRemoteAccess>true</EnableRemoteAccess>
  <LogAllQueryTimes>false</LogAllQueryTimes>
  <PreferredMetadataLanguage>en</PreferredMetadataLanguage>
  <MetadataCountryCode>US</MetadataCountryCode>
  <SortRemoveWords>

</SortRemoveWords>
  <LibraryMonitorDelay>60</LibraryMonitorDelay>
  <EnableDashboardResponseCaching>true</EnableDashboardResponseCaching>
  <ImageSavingConvention>Compatible</ImageSavingConvention>
  <EnableAutomaticRestart>true</EnableAutomaticRestart>
  <CollectionOptionsMigrated>false</CollectionOptionsMigrated>
  <CollectionsMigratedToTags>true</CollectionsMigratedToTags>
  <CollectionFolderIdsMigrated>true</CollectionFolderIdsMigrated>
  <SaveMetadataHiddenMigrated>false</SaveMetadataHiddenMigrated>
  <UICulture>en-GB</UICulture>
  <SaveMetadataHidden>false</SaveMetadataHidden>
  <RemoteClientBitrateLimit>0</RemoteClientBitrateLimit>
  <DisplaySpecialsWithinSeasons>true</DisplaySpecialsWithinSeasons>
  <LocalNetworkSubnets />
  <LocalNetworkAddresses />
  <EnableExternalContentInSuggestions>true</EnableExternalContentInSuggestions>
  <RequireHttps>false</RequireHttps>
  <IsBehindProxy>false</IsBehindProxy>
  <RemoteIPFilter />
  <IsRemoteIPFilterBlacklist>false</IsRemoteIPFilterBlacklist>
  <ImageExtractionTimeoutMs>0</ImageExtractionTimeoutMs>
  <PathSubstitutions />
  <UninstalledPlugins />
  <CollapseVideoFolders>true</CollapseVideoFolders>
  <EnableOriginalTrackTitles>false</EnableOriginalTrackTitles>
  <VacuumDatabaseOnStartup>false</VacuumDatabaseOnStartup>
  <SimultaneousStreamLimit>0</SimultaneousStreamLimit>
</ServerConfiguration>

Edited by MediaMogal

The version I saw did not have "<SortRemoveWords>" but did have "</SortRemoveWords>"

That's not the only things removed however as other things normal in that XML file are not there.

However I think the problem might be the editor used and not the file itself.

MediaMogal

NO I don't think it's the editor. Like I said I did it the exact same way as the last two times. I really believe something else is at p[lay here. I'm not going to worry too much about it thanks to you it's back up and running, that's what matters.