[SOLVED] Cannot connect to server

MediaMogal

MediaMogal

I have the latest Emby beta and Emby Theater and cannot connect to my server either through my browser or Emby Theater. I get the below then I check the status in Konsole.

[alienprober@TheMothership ~]$ systemctl status emby-server 
● emby-server.service - Emby brings together your videos, music, photos, and live tel> 
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor pre> 
    Active: inactive (dead) since Mon 2021-01-25 10:47:41 PST; 52s ago
   Process: 514 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Main PID: 514 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jan 25 10:47:40 TheMothership systemd[1]: Started Emby brings together your videos, m> 
Jan 25 10:47:40 TheMothership emby-server[514]: Info Main: Application path: /usr/lib> 
Jan 25 10:47:41 TheMothership emby-server[514]: Info Main: Shutdown complete
Jan 25 10:47:41 TheMothership systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Succeeded.

I also get this when trying to sign into the server in Theater.

Wake on LAN packets were sent to your server machine, but We're unable to connect to your Emby Server.

Your machine may need a little more time to wake. Or Emby Server may not be actively running on the machine.

Would appreciate help in fixing this. Thanks

Edited by MediaMogal

Slow down.  What you sent in PM will not work as that's an external IP and you likely haven't setup remote yet.  But doesn't matter.

Do you know the IP of the server?

MediaMogal

I'm assuning you mean my machines internal IP? 

Side note: I can launch the server in the browser and start the setup if I the browser open first and I launch emby-server from Konsole, but the TV library doesn't show my show but the main page shows what it should.

Edited by MediaMogal

What device/platform is Emby Server installed on?

Are you using a PC right now posting here in the forum?  Is so:

open a command prompt and type
ping 10.0.0.255

Does it time out or do you valid response back with ms time info?

MediaMogal

[alienprober@TheMothership ~]$ ping 10.0.0.255
ping: Do you want to ping broadcast? Then -b. If not, check your local firewall rules

What platform are you using when you connect to the forum (forget about Emby for now)?

Are you on a tablet, PC, linux box or Mac?

OK not a help.

But going back based on your ping above it would seem like the 10.0.0.255 address is wrong.

Do you have a router that you can look at that shows all DHCP assigments?
You should be able to find the proper shield TV address that way.

No need to PM that it's a private IP address.

OK so in a browser try this URL

http://10.0.0.86:8096

Does that open Emby in a browser?

• Thanks 1

MediaMogal
1 hour ago, cayars said:

No need to PM that it's a private IP address.

OK so in a browser try this URL

http://10.0.0.86:8096

Does that open Emby in a browser?

Looks like you got it. Had to reset my password but I'm seeing My shows under TV Series library. I'll logout and back in so I can actually add a password and then relaunch the browser to see if it's still working.

MediaMogal

OK just did the above all went good. Just did a restart and tested and still looks great. Thanks ever so much for all the help, greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

MediaMogal

OK just stopped the Emby service and attempted to restart it after editing Emby's systen.xml file and even though http://10.0.0.86:8096 should work to launch Emby it's not.

● emby-server.service - Emby brings together your videos, music, photos, and live tel>
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor pre>
    Active: inactive (dead) since Wed 2021-01-27 11:58:09 PST; 13min ago
  Main PID: 5841 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jan 27 11:58:09 TheMothership systemd[1]: Started Emby brings together your videos, m>
Jan 27 11:58:09 TheMothership emby-server[5841]: Info Main: Application path: /usr/li>
Jan 27 11:58:09 TheMothership emby-server[5841]: Info Main: Shutdown complete
Jan 27 11:58:09 TheMothership systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Succeeded.

mastrmind11
15 minutes ago, MediaMogal said:

OK just stopped the Emby service and attempted to restart it after editing Emby's systen.xml file and even though http://10.0.0.86:8096 should work to launch Emby it's not.

Active: inactive (dead) since Wed 2021-01-27 11:58:09 PST; 13min ago
  Main PID: 5841 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jan 27 11:58:09 TheMothership systemd[1]: Started Emby brings together your videos, m>
Jan 27 11:58:09 TheMothership emby-server[5841]: Info Main: Application path: /usr/li>
Jan 27 11:58:09 TheMothership emby-server[5841]: Info Main: Shutdown complete
Jan 27 11:58:09 TheMothership systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Succeeded.

so the obvious next question will be.... what did you change in the xml file and why?  the server is clearly stood up so what did you change to break it?  what happens when you go to that ip in the browser?  

Edited by mastrmind11

MediaMogal

Actually the lines that were removed were removed yesterday, before we got the server backup and running. All I actually did today was stop the service, reboot and attempt to restart the server.

4 minutes ago, MediaMogal said:

Actually the lines that were removed were removed yesterday, before we got the server backup and running. All I actually did today was stop the service, reboot and attempt to restart the server.

What lines?