surround sound not working properly

Itzdibbyyx

Itzdibbyyx

hello, I noticed today that emby theater is not playing surround sound properly i think it maybe the centre channel thats broken? my layout is set to 5.1 and it seems the the centre channel is being split between the front left and right speakers. the play method is DirectPlay and stats for nerds is showing that the media is 5.1

i can play the same movie/file via VLC or windows 'Films & TV' application and i can distinctly hear the dialouge on the centre channel whereas on emby it would be split between the front left and right channel...

any help would be appreciated

Happy2Play

A ET guru will have to comment more, but which version of ET are you running?  You can see the version number at the bottom of your user preference menu (user icon).

You will probably need to post your ET Audio settings and your system audio settings.  Similar to this post.

Itzdibbyyx
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

A ET guru will have to comment more, but which version of ET are you running?  You can see the version number at the bottom of your user preference menu (user icon).

You will probably need to post your ET Audio settings and your system audio settings.  Similar to this post.

version 3.0.14

i'm using an optical cable from the sound blaster card straight into my reciever so i don't think passthrough applies...

Screenshot_11.jpg

Screenshot_12.jpg

Happy2Play

Can you also post the media info for a specific item you are having issues with along with the Stats for Nerds pop up screen results.  This should provide almost all the information required.

sooty234

If you're using optical, disable everything except DTS and AC3. Then make sure Windows audio is set to stereo. If you want to convert the unsupported audio to AC3 so you can still have 5.1 surround sound, I will have to help you further with that. It will require a more advanced configuration, but is actually quite easy to do.

• Thanks 1

Itzdibbyyx
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you also post the media info for a specific item you are having issues with along with the Stats for Nerds pop up screen results.  This should provide almost all the information required.

Screenshot_15.jpg

Screenshot_16.jpg

Screenshot_17.jpg

Screenshot_18.jpg

Screenshot_19.jpg

Itzdibbyyx
14 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

If you're using optical, disable everything except DTS and AC3. Then make sure Windows audio is set to stereo. If you want to convert the unsupported audio to AC3 so you can still have 5.1 surround sound, I will have to help you further with that. It will require a more advanced configuration, but is actually quite easy to do.

as expected that resulted in everything playing in stereo... the audio is not unsupported this problem is soley on ET, the web browser client plays the surround sound just fine

sooty234
1 minute ago, Itzdibbyyx said:

as expected that resulted in everything playing in stereo... the audio is not unsupported this problem is soley on ET, the web browser client plays the surround sound just fine

Yes, this is because optical doesn't support what you're trying to force down it. But I can give you a way for mpv to convert the unsupported audio to AC3 5.1

sooty234

I'm attaching a zip file that contains a folder. Unzip the folder to;

C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming

And try playing your videos with only DTS and AC3 enabled in the audio settings.

mpv.zip

Itzdibbyyx
2 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Yes, this is because optical doesn't support what you're trying to force down it. But I can give you a way for mpv to convert the unsupported audio to AC3 5.1

im confused? any other player including emby web browser can play the files with the centre channel properly... it makes little sense to convert the audio for near on all of my films when it should work...

6 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

I'm attaching a zip file that contains a folder. Unzip the folder to;

C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming

And try playing your videos with only DTS and AC3 enabled in the audio settings.

mpv.zip 303 B · 0 downloads

that results in nothing loading/constant loading wheel

sooty234
1 minute ago, Itzdibbyyx said:

im confused? any other player including emby web browser can play the files with the centre channel properly... it makes little sense to convert the audio for near on all of my films when it should work...

That's because the server transcodes the audio. mpv is more capable than the server.

2 minutes ago, Itzdibbyyx said:

that results in nothing loading/constant loading wheel

Please show me screenshots of the files you created from what I gave you, and the current settings in Theater.

Itzdibbyyx
6 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

That's because the server transcodes the audio. mpv is more capable than the server.

Please show me screenshots of the files you created from what I gave you, and the current settings in Theater.

what settings do you want to see? theres a lot of them

Screenshot_20.jpg

Screenshot_21.jpg

Itzdibbyyx
9 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Im pretty sure emby is not involved with the default windows Films and TV application or VLC player either

but also...

Screenshot_22.jpg

Happy2Play

That stats shows the server converting the mp4 and steaming in via http, and converting the Video from h265 to h264 while sending audio as is.  So a full transcode of the videos stream as it shows unsupported how ever you provided this example.

Itzdibbyyx
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

That stats shows the server converting the mp4 and steaming in via http, and converting the Video from h265 to h264 while sending audio as is.  So a full transcode of the videos stream as it shows unsupported how ever you provided this example.

agreed, thats why i can't understand why ET is having a problem... in theory it should be fine

sooty234

Okay, so we're dealing with AAC?

Let's get some logging. In that mpv.conf, add this line at the top;

log-file="C:\Users\lynn\Desktop\mpv_log.txt"

Play once. A log should appear on your desktop. Please attach that.

Edited by sooty234

Itzdibbyyx
1 minute ago, sooty234 said:

i will do this tomorrow, its 4AM for me now i gotta sleep, cheers for the help so far guys

• Like 1

Itzdibbyyx
5 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

okay now im going to sleep :L

mpv_log.txt

sooty234

I think your sample rate is set too high. 

[   0.773][d][ao/wasapi] Probing formats
[   0.781][v][ao/wasapi] Trying stereo float (32/32 bits) @ 96000hz (shared) -> ok
[   0.781][v][ao/wasapi] Accepted as stereo float @ 96000hz -> stereo float (32/32 bits) @ 96000hz (shared)
[   0.781][d][ao/wasapi] Fixing format
[   0.781][d][ao/wasapi] IAudioClient::GetDevicePeriod
[   0.782][v][ao/wasapi] Device period: 10 ms
[   0.782][d][ao/wasapi] IAudioClient::Initialize
[   0.793][d][ao/wasapi] IAudioClient::Initialize pRenderClient
[   0.793][d][ao/wasapi] IAudioClient::Initialize IAudioClient_SetEventHandle
[   0.793][d][ao/wasapi] IAudioClient::Initialize IAudioClient_GetBufferSize
[   0.793][v][ao/wasapi] Buffer frame count: 4800 (50 ms)
[   0.793][v][ao/wasapi] IAudioClock::GetFrequency gave a frequency of 768000.
[   0.796][d][ao/wasapi] IAudioClient::Initialize pAudioVolume
[   0.796][d][ao/wasapi] Entering dispatch loop
[   0.796][d][ao/wasapi] Init wasapi done
[   0.796][v][ao/wasapi] device buffer: 4800 samples.
[   0.796][v][ao/wasapi] using soft-buffer of 19200 samples.
[   0.796][i][cplayer] AO: [wasapi] 96000Hz stereo 2ch float
[   0.796][v][cplayer] AO: Description: Windows WASAPI audio output (event mode)
[   0.796][v][autoconvert] inserting resampler
[   0.796][v][swresample] format change, reinitializing resampler
[   0.796][v][swresample] 48000Hz stereo floatp -> 96000Hz stereo float
[   0.796][v][af] [out] 96000Hz stereo 2ch float

[   9.151][v][af] [in] 48000Hz 5.1 6ch floatp
[   9.151][v][af] [lavcac3enc] 48000Hz 5.1 6ch floatp
[   9.152][v][af] [userspeed] 48000Hz stereo 2ch spdif-ac3
[   9.152][v][af] [userspeed] (disabled)
[   9.152][v][af] [convert] 48000Hz stereo 2ch spdif-ac3

You've got some things not how I would expect them to be. You have a 2080 Ti but you haven't enabled hardware acceleration. Set that to auto.

And take a look at how you've configured the sample rate in Windows. You are you using optical. You should leave that at 48000Hz.

Itzdibbyyx
5 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Something isn't right, here. What audio device are you using? What's the make and model?

creative sound blaster z pci-e card plugged in via optical to a logitech z906

Itzdibbyyx
6 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Something isn't right, here. What audio device are you using? What's the make and model?

this is how its set up, you have to use the Speakers option to get sound from the optical cable (as recomended by the software for the sound blaster Z)

Screenshot_23.jpg

Itzdibbyyx
8 hours ago, sooty234 said:

as another example when i play another film via the web browser vs the ET app

Screenshot_24.jpg

Screenshot_25.jpg

Screenshot_26.jpg

Screenshot_27.jpg

Itzdibbyyx

okay so I unchecked all audio passthrough options (i only had ac3 and dts checked) and that at least got Openal to 'play' 5.1

however the sound being played is still having the centre channel played via the FL/FR channels, it sounds like its playing 4.0/4.1

Screenshot_28.jpg