surround sound not working properly

Itzdibbyyx

sooty234

Ah! That's not going to work. The docs say it's actually broken. You'll have to use stereo for now. I can't think of a way to force the server to transcode the audio without transcoding the video.

Itzdibbyyx
52 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Ah! That's not going to work. The docs say it's actually broken. You'll have to use stereo for now. I can't think of a way to force the server to transcode the audio without transcoding the video.

well as far as i can tell ET is in fact playing in 5.1 and from what i've read elsewhere online is that my issue is actually a 'feature' of Openal where it plays the centre channel via the FL/FR channels as part of its method of panning audio for more accurate positioning... if that makes any sense at all? in this example they state that the centre channel is louder on the FL/FR than the centre channel speaker (which still suggests that there is a problem as we don't see to have any audio on centre speaker) see a similar issue here 

sooty234

Then if your audio device supports it, you should get something like this when playing 5.1 audio.

[   1.112][v][ao] Trying audio driver 'openal'
[   1.112][v][ao/openal] requested format: 48000 Hz, 5.1(side) channels, floatp
[   1.181][v][ao/openal] device buffer: 32768 samples.
[   1.181][v][ao/openal] using soft-buffer of 32768 samples.
[   1.181][i][cplayer] AO: [openal] 48000Hz 5.1 6ch float
[   1.181][v][cplayer] AO: Description: OpenAL audio output
[   1.181][v][autoconvert] inserting resampler
[   1.181][v][swresample] format change, reinitializing resampler
[   1.181][v][swresample] 48000Hz 5.1(side) floatp -> 48000Hz 5.1 float
[   1.181][v][swresample] Remix: 5.1(side) -> 5.1
[   1.181][v][swresample] Fudge: sl-sr -> bl-br
[   1.181][v][af] [out] 48000Hz 5.1 6ch float

Itzdibbyyx
5 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Here's what the manual says:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#audio-output-drivers-openal

1094448142_Screenshot2021-01-24110332.jpg.05024d2afed1c532fc1ec89b45a4563b.jpg

But you could try replacing the ac3enc entry that I gave you, and try openal directly.

ao=openal
openal-direct-channels=yes

so it turns out that in my normal MPV.conf there was a couple audio related things that i've now deleted and the audio now works just fine, so im not sure why the original mpv.conf file that you told me to use with the ac3enc also stoped the centre channel from working?

the things i removed from my conf file were something like

audio-stream-silence=yes

audio-exclusive=yes

sooty234

Ah! Sorry, I'd forgotten I had given you that. The exclusivity might have been getting in the way. So the AC3 encoding works as expected, now?

Can you post the contents of the mpv.conf?

Edited by sooty234

Itzdibbyyx
1 minute ago, sooty234 said:

And make sure that you now only have one mpv.conf

i only ever used one at a time don't worry

3 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Ah! Sorry, I'd forgotten I had given you that. The exclusivity might have been getting in the way. So the AC3 encoding works as expected, now?

Can you post the contents of the mpv.conf?

this is what im thinking. and yes on all films i used as examples now work as expected

this is my mpv.conf, i am aware/have been told some of it is redundent/wrong  but when i attempted to correct things ET stopped playing things the way i like so i tend not to change it much.

Screenshot_29.jpg

sooty234

Ok, I'm glad that your audio works as you like it to, now.

As for the rest, you have some pretty big video conflicts. I would like to help you with those, if you'll allow me?

You have a great GPU, let's get the most out of it :)

A few questions, if you'll indulge me?

it looks like you've configured the Nvidia color output to 12bpc, maybe 4:2:2? It appears you have an HDR display.

[   0.683][v][vo/gpu] Reported display depth: 10

[   0.679][v][vo/gpu/d3d11] Queried output: \\.\DISPLAY1, 3840x2160 @ 12 bits, colorspace: RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020 (12)
[   0.679][v][vo/gpu/d3d11] Selected swapchain format R10G10B10A2_UNORM (24), attempting to utilize it.
[   0.680][v][vo/gpu/d3d11] Selected swapchain color space RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020 (12), attempting to utilize it.
[   0.680][v][vo/gpu/d3d11] Swapchain capabilities for color space RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020 (12): normal: yes, overlay: no
[   0.680][v][vo/gpu/d3d11] Swapchain successfully configured to color space RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020 (12)!

But then you conflict that by setting:

d3d11-output-csp=srgb

Which you then try to compensate for by increasing the gamma and saturation.

You're enabling HDR in Windows, and leaving it on? 

I can definitely help you get a much better picture.

Edited by sooty234

Itzdibbyyx
3 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

As for the rest, you have some pretty big video conflicts. I would like to help you with those, if you'll allow me?

it looks like you've configured the Nvidia color output to 12bpc, maybe 4:2:2? It appears you have an HDR display.

[   0.679][v][vo/gpu/d3d11] Queried output: \\.\DISPLAY1, 3840x2160 @ 12 bits, colorspace: RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020 (12)
[   0.679][v][vo/gpu/d3d11] Selected swapchain format R10G10B10A2_UNORM (24), attempting to utilize it.
[   0.680][v][vo/gpu/d3d11] Selected swapchain color space RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020 (12), attempting to utilize it.
[   0.680][v][vo/gpu/d3d11] Swapchain capabilities for color space RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020 (12): normal: yes, overlay: no
[   0.680][v][vo/gpu/d3d11] Swapchain successfully configured to color space RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020 (12)!

d3d11-output-csp=srgb

okay so yes i have and leave on HDR in windows constantly, yes my nvidia settings are 12bpc 422

as far as i can tell/remember when i set these settings using calibration videos the settings under ##video## apply to non-hdr content

settings under [HDR] apply to HDR content

Itzdibbyyx
21 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

d3d11-output-csp=srgb

also when i remove the "d3d11...=srgb" all non hdr content becomes washed out and very dim

sooty234

Ok, try this:

## VIDEO ##

target-trc=pq
target-prim=bt.2020
gpu-api=auto
hwdec=auto
hwdec-codecs=all
opengl-pbo=yes
dither-depth=12
deband=yes
deband-iterations=2
deband-grain=0
saturation=0
brightness=0
contrast=0
gamma=7
gamut-clipping=no
hdr-compute-peak=no

## SCALING ##

scale=ewa_lanczossharp
descale=mitchell
cscale=ewa_lanczos
linear-downscaling=yes
sigmoid-upscaling=yes

## AUTO-PROFILES ##

[Deinterlace]
profile-desc=Deinterlace
profile-cond=p["video-frame-info/interlaced"]
hwdec=d3d11va-copy
vf=lavfi-bwdif

[4k HDR]
profile-desc=4k HDR stuff
profile-cond=p["video-params/primaries"]=="bt.2020"
deband=no
dither-depth=12
gamma=7

You also need to set Theater video like this:

1680879804_Screenshot2021-01-24124321.jpg.5575c053a9c9f6660ce1d0d9db39d441.jpg

sooty234
34 minutes ago, Itzdibbyyx said:

okay so yes i have and leave on HDR in windows constantly, yes my nvidia settings are 12bpc 422

as far as i can tell/remember when i set these settings using calibration videos the settings under ##video## apply to non-hdr content

settings under [HDR] apply to HDR content

The d3d11 csp isn't configurable at runtime, so that gets applied to everything you play, including all HDR content.

Itzdibbyyx
2 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Ok, try this:

## VIDEO ##

target-trc=pq
target-prim=bt.2020
gpu-api=auto
hwdec=auto
hwdec-codecs=all
opengl-pbo=yes
dither-depth=12
deband=yes
deband-iterations=2
deband-grain=0
saturation=0
brightness=0
contrast=0
gamma=7
gamut-clipping=no
hdr-compute-peak=no

## SCALING ##

scale=ewa_lanczossharp
descale=mitchell
cscale=ewa_lanczos
linear-downscaling=yes
sigmoid-upscaling=yes

## AUTO-PROFILES ##

[Deinterlace]
profile-desc=Deinterlace
profile-cond=p["video-frame-info/interlaced"]
hwdec=d3d11va-copy
vf=lavfi-bwdif

[4k HDR]
profile-desc=4k HDR stuff
profile-cond=p["video-params/primaries"]=="bt.2020"
deband=no
dither-depth=12
gamma=7

You also need to set Theater video like this:

1680879804_Screenshot2021-01-24124321.jpg.5575c053a9c9f6660ce1d0d9db39d441.jpg

okay that seems to have solved the washed out colours however both hdr and non-hdr are quite dim both need to be a bit brighter

sooty234
13 minutes ago, Itzdibbyyx said:

okay that seems to have solved the washed out colours however both hdr and non-hdr are quite dim both need to be a bit brighter

You may need to calibrate your display. I'd suggest looking at your display settings before you change the mpv config. And you kept the gamma at 7?

Itzdibbyyx
52 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

You may need to calibrate your display. I'd suggest looking at your display settings before you change the mpv config. And you kept the gamma at 7?

this is why i dont normally change my conf file, i shouldnt have to recalibrate my display just for the sake of emby/mpv thats why its a lot easier just to conpensate the darkness with high gamma values in the conf?

yes i left the gamma at 7 and it was too dark/dim so i've now set the gamma to 14 and hdr content is pretty much how it looked before changing anything however sdr content is still needing some tweaking

sooty234
20 minutes ago, Itzdibbyyx said:

this is why i dont normally change my conf file, i shouldnt have to recalibrate my display just for the sake of emby/mpv thats why its a lot easier just to conpensate the darkness with high gamma values in the conf?

yes i left the gamma at 7 and it was too dark/dim so i've now set the gamma to 14 and hdr content is pretty much how it looked before changing anything however sdr content is still needing some tweaking

It actually sounds like your display is improperly calibrated for everything, and you've been compensating. Once correctly calibrated, it will work with everything you do. I have the same situation as you. RTX 2060, Windows always in HDR. All color and light is correct for everything, YouTube, desktop, all apps, all video, with no compensation in the video player apps. If it looks different to you in various apps, games etc, that suggests you've been adjusting each app to gain. This is the opposite of what you should do. Calibrate the display first, then run the apps. But if you want to circumvent that, try raising only the gamma. Any chance you can take a photo of what it looks like, so I can better understand?

Itzdibbyyx
5 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

It actually sounds like your display is improperly calibrated for everything, and you've been compensating. Once correctly calibrated, it will work with everything you do. I have the same situation as you. RTX 2060, Windows always in HDR. All color and light is correct for everything, YouTube, desktop, all apps, all video, with no compensation in the video player apps. If it looks different to you in various apps, games etc, that suggests you've been adjusting each app to gain. This is the opposite of what you should do. Calibrate the display first, then run the apps. But if you want to circumvent that, try raising only the gamma. Any chance you can take a photo of what it looks like, so I can better understand?

Im pretty sure ive calibrated the display several times but in any case with the gamma set to 7 and brightness/saturation/contrast all at 0

This is what i get with ET on the left ... my phone camera isnt showing the difference too well but its dimmer and very slightly more washed out than the web browser and its very off putting, it almost hurts to watch to be honest

20210125_005644.jpg

Itzdibbyyx
19 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

strangley when i try to screenshot ET does come up as overbright and contrast etc etc interesting...

Screenshot_30.jpg

sooty234
14 hours ago, Itzdibbyyx said:

strangley when i try to screenshot ET does come up as overbright and contrast etc etc interesting...

Screenshot_30.jpg

That's windows tone-mapping. Ignore that.

14 hours ago, Itzdibbyyx said:

Im pretty sure ive calibrated the display several times but in any case with the gamma set to 7 and brightness/saturation/contrast all at 0

This is what i get with ET on the left ... my phone camera isnt showing the difference too well but its dimmer and very slightly more washed out than the web browser and its very off putting, it almost hurts to watch to be honest

20210125_005644.jpg

I'm assuming this is SDR content, as you're playing it in a browser. If you just want to give it a little more 'pop', probably just bump the gamma up. Try gamma=10, but leave the HDR profile at 7. I wonder if local dimming is playing a part in this? But start with raising the gamma.

What's curious is that I get the opposite. My SDR content is brighter with more contrast. I think it's probably just a difference in the display swapchain. 

Eventually, setting the d3d11-csp should be able to be applied at runtime, then you can set srgb for SDR stuff and pq for HDR stuff.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/8059#issuecomment-687892270

Edited by sooty234

Itzdibbyyx
16 hours ago, sooty234 said:

That's windows tone-mapping. Ignore that.

I'm assuming this is SDR content, as you're playing it in a browser. If you just want to give it a little more 'pop', probably just bump the gamma up. Try gamma=10, but leave the HDR profile at 7. I wonder if local dimming is playing a part in this? But start with raising the gamma.

What's curious is that I get the opposite. My SDR content is brighter with more contrast. I think it's probably just a difference in the display swapchain. 

Eventually, setting the d3d11-csp should be able to be applied at runtime, then you can set srgb for SDR stuff and pq for HDR stuff.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/8059#issuecomment-687892270

yes its SDR, and this is my current config and i'm pretty happy with it

Screenshot_31.jpg

• Like 1

sooty234

Groovy! I'm happy that you found a balance. The reason why the gamma/darkness is like it is, is because of the windows swapchain. If you test directly in mpv and use the internal screen capture which will capture directly from mpv's render surface, you'll see that picture is different. The Windows layer adds a little more on top, in the swapchain. Which is why you don't see it when setting it to srgb. Windows smpte appears to lower the gamma. Hopefully, jeeb will allow us to set the csp at runtime, in the not too distant future.

Itzdibbyyx
13 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Groovy! I'm happy that you found a balance. The reason why the gamma/darkness is like it is, is because of the windows swapchain. If you test directly in mpv and use the internal screen capture which will capture directly from mpv's render surface, you'll see that picture is different. The Windows layer adds a little more on top, in the swapchain. Which is why you don't see it when setting it to srgb. Windows smpte appears to lower the gamma. Hopefully, jeeb will allow us to set the csp at runtime, in the not too distant future.

I have no idea what a swapchain is :L