Many movie actors picture needs to be manually downloaded

CharleyVarrick
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

Happy2Play

@Lukeper the log it would appear to be a image processing issue as the urls are good but are getting these errors.  

2021-02-04 11:49:02.812 Debug App: ConvertImageToLocal item 166181 - image url: https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/h4nHsMTehfJvtdZENWy7g9dr7k3.jpg
2021-02-04 11:49:02.813 Info HttpClient: GET https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/h4nHsMTehfJvtdZENWy7g9dr7k3.jpg
2021-02-04 11:49:02.962 Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.5.4.0
	Command line: C:\Users\JLR\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19042
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.9
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/JLR/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: C:\Users\JLR\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\JLR\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.InvalidOperationException: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.ConvertImageToLocal(BaseItem item, ItemImageInfo image, Int32 imageIndex, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Drawing.ImageProcessor.ProcessImage(ImageProcessingOptions options, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Api.Images.ImageService.GetImage(ImageRequest request, Int64 itemId, BaseItem item, Boolean isHeadRequest)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

2021-02-04 11:49:02.962 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 500 to 10.0.0.164. Time: 292ms. 

CharleyVarrick
11 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Left currently no image, right is broken url or image processor.

I can fix either type by clicking on them (to get to actor page), then click back (to movie page) and hit F5.

Happy2Play

But these are two totally different issues and somewhat a isolated issue.  But will have to wait on Luke to comment.

Those three log statements don't necessarily all go together. If you look at the server log you see tvdb is sending back access denied responses to some image urls for whatever reason.

CharleyVarrick

While I observe similar issue on the tv series side, this whole thread is all about movies.

Emby logs are Klingon to me, but i believe tvdb has nothing to do with movies..

image.thumb.png.d4cf6ba48286bd6d64b0ba1c67ac5670.png

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Here's a screen capture of my workaround, all I do is click empty actor place holder, then back to movie and F5 to see the update.

Refresh metadata is not necessary as Emby already has pictures.

EDIT: I just realized as soon as I fix an actor's pic in a specific movie, it does so in ALL movies the actor appeared in.

Edited by jlr19

• Solution
GrimReaper

I've had similar (or same?) issue as well, best described as an "empty image" placeholder on top of actor image, not the usual "missing image" one but plain, dark gray/blackish image instead. And same like you, went to sort it actor by actor - which got tedious VERY quickly, so I just gave up and updated few images every now and then when need arose (or my OCD went ballistic). However, as far as I can tell, @mickle026's relatively recent plugin:

actually sorted those out, at least I didn't see ANY "blank" images for the last 2 weeks, which is amazing, as far as I'm concerned. 

What worked for me was install plugin, enter valid EMPTY folder path in "Local backup location" and run "Restore/Search Actors". And that was it, no more blanks. As a bonus, Log shows actual number of missing actor images (I'm currently at 6,000+). After that, any subsequent Detail view would auto-populate number of images, or leave standard "missing image" placeholders. 

You might wanna give it a shot, it might help. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

CharleyVarrick
30 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

I've had similar (or same?) issue as well, best described as an "empty image" placeholder on top of actor image, not the usual "missing image" one but plain, dark gray/blackish image instead. And same like you, went to sort it actor by actor - which got tedious VERY quickly, so I just gave up and updated few images every now and then when need arose (or my OCD went ballistic). However, as far as I can tell, @mickle026's relatively recent plugin:

actually sorted those out, at least I didn't see ANY "blank" images for the last 2 weeks, which is amazing, as far as I'm concerned. 

What worked for me was install plugin, enter valid EMPTY folder path in "Local backup location" and run "Restore/Search Actors". And that was it, no more blanks. As a bonus, Log shows actual number of missing actor images (I'm currently at 6,000+). After that, any subsequent Detail view would auto-populate number of images, or leave standard "missing image" placeholders. 

You might wanna give it a shot, it might help. 🤷‍♂️

This is the first glimpse of hope I've had with this issue, thank you ! ! !

• Like 1

mickle026
5 hours ago, jlr19 said:

This is the first glimpse of hope I've had with this issue, thank you ! ! !

My Plugin will indeed fix corrupt Actors / placeholders and invalid associations, and also remove invalid files (some may be image headers with no data payload) - so they work normally again. 
Just run it without a backup, put a path to an empty folder in the config and run restore, it'll go through the integrity checks and repair without replacing any actors with images.  There is output in the logs in that plugin. When it has done this just going to the movie or tv show should reload valid actor images if they exist.

You might also want to try the Person Provider Plugin of mine: here  its best that you read the thread so you understand which is which and what they do, how they work.  That will find Actors in a lot of cases that are not on tmdb or tvdb (obiviously not all).

The other plugin, the Actor web scraper is the first incarnation of this, and although it isn't as handy and is clunky, it does have a useful ouput - again to the logs and shows where actor metadata may be invalid, thus preventing the fetching of those actors.  TVDB is a big culprit of this, some tv shows update and have Actors all in one placeholder.  Again read the thread and you'll "maybe" understand what is meant by that.

When you are happy remove the plugins you don't need anymore.

Its a few clicks, as apposed to hours worth of work :), again trying them is up to you.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick
2 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

My Plugin will indeed fix corrupt Actors / placeholders and invalid associations, and also remove invalid files (some may be image headers with no data payload) - so they work normally again. 
Just run it without a backup, put a path to an empty folder in the config and run restore, it'll go through the integrity checks and repair without replacing any actors with images.  There is output in the logs in that plugin. When it has done this just going to the movie or tv show should reload valid actor images if they exist.

You might also want to try the Person Provider Plugin of mine: here  its best that you read the thread so you understand which is which and what they do, how they work.  That will find Actors in a lot of cases that are not on tmdb or tvdb (obiviously not all).

The other plugin, the Actor web scraper is the first incarnation of this, and although it isn't as handy and is clunky, it does have a useful ouput - again to the logs and shows where actor metadata may be invalid, thus preventing the fetching of those actors.  TVDB is a big culprit of this, some tv shows update and have Actors all in one placeholder.  Again read the thread and you'll "maybe" understand what is meant by that.

When you are happy remove the plugins you don't need anymore.

Its a few clicks, as apposed to hours worth of work :), again trying them is up to you.

Yes GrimReaper 76 walked me through it and your plugin is already hard at work since. Its gonna take a while due to sheer size of my libraries.

Thank you in advance 🥰 

mickle026
5 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

Yes GrimReaper 76 walked me through it and your plugin is already hard at work since. Its gonna take a while due to sheer size of my libraries.

Thank you in advance 🥰 

If you want to run a restore from my personal web server so it loads my Actor Images, just drop me a private message and I will give you my webserver address.  It'll only restore blank placeholders.

Edited by mickle026
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick
Just now, mickle026 said:

If you want to run a restore from my personal web server so it loads my Actor Images, just drop me a private message and I will give you my webserver address.

Very kind of you, thanks again, but for now I'll wait to see what it does on its own. I'll be sure to report back with how it went. 😀

CharleyVarrick

Using @Mickle026 plugin (actor backup/restore, with the invaluable helping hand of @GrimReaper76, all blank actor picture placeholders are gone ! 😀

I am left with a fair amount of "supposedly missing" actor pic, although I realize the majority of those are not missing (when I click on them, they usually show up in actor page).

CharleyVarrick
On 2/10/2021 at 2:25 PM, mickle026 said:

a few clicks as opposed to a decade of fixing a gazillion actors, one actor at a time .

Good job Mickle026 !

• Like 2

mickle026

Refresh missing metadata without replacing existing images should pull any actors that are missing that Emby can, since tmdb moved thousands of its images (the root cause of this issue, along with Emby not handling the error well at that time - until then Emby didnt have to!), However a lot of previous Actor images that they had are now missing. 

If you are going to do this, I recommend NOT replacing existing Images as Emby "seems" to clear out the old ones before it gets the new ones, so you could be getting rid of some that cannot be replaced as of yet.

As the months pass TMDB definately seem to be fixing this .  I had limited success with refreshing metadata myself at the higher library level.  Always seems to work better done on every movie rather than the library, I have no idea why - but still tedious.  Unless you really want them all, you can do either the options posted above or allow them to naturally repopulate as they are clicked here and there over a longer period of time.

Edited by mickle026
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick
36 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

I had limited success with refreshing metadata myself at the higher library level.  Always seems to work better done on every movie rather than the library, I have no idea why - but still tedious. 

+1 to that.

On the other hand, Refreshing metadata at movie detail page level now (since running the plugin) doesn't seem to get anything done.

What does work is clicking "supposedly missing" actor icon, one at a time; doing it this way seems to yields an actor pic 85% of the time. 

Edited by jlr19

mickle026
12 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

+1 to that.

On the other hand, Refreshing metadata at movie detail page level now (since running the plugin doesnt seem to get anything done.

What does work is clicking "supposedly missing" actor icon, one at a time; doing it this way seems to yields an actor pic 85% of the time. 

In your cache directory, is where all the JSON files are kept, for tmdb, its /tmbd-people/<tmdb_id>/Info-en.json.  These have all the links to the images on tmdb.  So clicking an Image "should" reread these and re-fetch an image.

However, I haven't checked if they are renewed and re-read or if they are just re-read.  If they are re-read Emby shouldn't download corrupt images from old files because Luke has put a fix in to prevent this.  However, that wouldn't refresh any that tmdb have fixed since, so I would assume refresh metadata is a better option in most cases as it has the effect of renewing these files and therefore any old links with newer fixed ones.

If its not doing anything then tmdb might no longer have the images or restart you server if you havent since running the plugin so changes are committed to the library.db, then every refresh should work as normal.

Edited by mickle026
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Unless I am mistaken, the actor count per movie has gone ballistic, continuing in my spotchecks, it now seems common to see over a hundred actors listed on a movie detail page.

I am blown away. Emby is now on steroids.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Specific example is needed but yes there are movies out there that have probably that many on provider site.

CharleyVarrick
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Specific example is needed but yes there are movies out there that have probably that many on provider site.

The Dark Knight Rises 162 actors

Justice League 102 actors

Birds of Prey 108 actors

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 126 actors

I could go on and on, with more obscure or B movies which I have a lot of.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

The Dark Knight Rises 162 actors

Justice League 102 actors

Birds of Prey 108 actors

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 126 actors

I could go on and on, with more obscure or B movies which I have a lot of.

I am pretty sure this is just a change on TMDB providing more Cast per movie as you have noticed.  There is nothing Emby is doing differently.  Not like anyone would like a Cast limit, but wouldn't see how if they are all listed via the Cast category beside a hard limit.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1