Music multi CD albums naming - Wiki not clear

aspdend

aspdend

In advance of the upcoming 4.6xx update on stable, I am trying to hoover up some of the known issues with tagging in my music library (I know I should have done these ages ago, but I have thousands of tracks and some stuff I ripped ages ago I didn't do a great job with and there's never enough time). Anyway, as part of this - I wanted to check the Wiki to make sure I was using the correct naming structure.

There is nothing in the Wiki regarding naming multi-part music albums, althugh there is for the videos. I tried the advice there using albumname-cd1/tracks and albumname-cd2/tracks under artist/albumname/ and that created each disc as a separate album. Revert back to CD1/tracks and CD2/tracks under artist/albumname/ and they are back to single album with two discs. Attached images show what I mean

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

aspdend
On 19/01/2021 at 16:33, pwhodges said:

Do your tags include disc number?  That's crucial.

Paul

They do indeed 

pwhodges

If you want the disks to appear separately, give them different album names (with e.g. -CD1) as you have done and use two folders.  If you want them to appear together as a single album with two disks, put all tracks in the same folder with the same album name - they will then be correctly ordered with a heading in the list where the next disk starts.

In 4.6, the tags will override the folders, so you could have them in two folders, but if the album name is the same they will be shown together.  In that situation, the folder name won't help sort the disks, only the "disc" tag.  If you have that, you are good to go in this respect.

Paul

I wouldn't worry so much about the folder names. They will not matter anymore in 4.6. As for 4.5, I would just stick to whatever works for now.