[Enhancement] Allow change language of UI user based not just globally (or allow user to override language for himself)

The_ERROR

The_ERROR

I found, that language preference is global server based and as user, it's not possible to change it... I would expect, that user suppose be able to set their preferred language of UI... Can you please allow to user select their language preference and global one use just as default one? 

Thank you. :)

• Agree 1

Hi.  The language of the UI is set in the base device/OS being used by each app and then we just key off of that.  So it is already the way you are requesting.

Exactly what issue did you have with this?

The_ERROR

Hmm, I do have set english as prefered language, and when I visited in browser it doesn't switch, actually.. 

To have Emby UI in czech I have to select czech in preferences, but it's set for all users then and browser preference do not have effect on
image.thumb.png.0933fc69bb67b275e97bbf50ae22f035.png

But browser do have Czech

image.thumb.png.ef928b14b7210150915831420ba65ed6.png

image.thumb.png.155b623759a39229dfafd44dc06ac938.png

So maybe issue is, that System language it not propagated... ? Or maybe I had to notice I do using Web interface... 

image.png

Edited by The_ERROR

The_ERROR

Anyway... I do have english language most of time, but would like to have option to set Emby in czech. And I have to do it globally or nothing. So some setting on user profile would be fine. 

• 5 months later...
Zero00

Hello

To clarify the request above
on Mobile apps and smart TV apps we can change the language per user but it is saved locally on that specific device. it doesn't apply to USER object in the server.
on the other hand when using the web version, the language selector is globally and its under server settings. no way for a normal user to change the language themselves. 

also if possible an option for the administrator to force apply a display language for a certain user. because in my case my parents aren't tech savvy and they don't understand English so its easier for them to have the language preset on whatever platform they use.

upvoting this topic +1

IOW, you want the applications to fetch the "UI language" from the server for that user and apply that automatically?

The way it presently works is the device has a locale set. The locale of the device sets the language the user will see. The entire OS and all applications will use the same language this way.

You want the locale of the device to set the timezone, but inherit the language from the server settings for that user? Doing it this way only Emby will use the language you set. Every other application on the OS will use locale.

Edited by speechles

Zero00
6 minutes ago, speechles said:

IOW, you want the applications to fetch the "UI language" from the server for that user and apply that automatically?

The way it presently works is the device has a locale set. The locale of the device sets the language and timezone the user will see.

You want the locale of the device to set the timezone, but inherit the language from the server settings for that user?

Yes, precisely.

I didn't think about the timezone as all my users are in the same timezone. maybe timezone can also be set from the server and default value is to use the device locale.

Edited by Zero00

The way it presently works is the device has a locale set. The locale of the device sets the language the user will see. The entire OS and all applications will use the same language this way.

You want the locale of the device to inherit the language from the server settings for that user? Doing it this way only Emby will use the language you set. Every other application on the OS will use locale.

It will create a problem using the server to inherit the language. The OS will not sync to that same language since it will still be based on locale. Is that okay?

It is entirely possible to key off the user object language field and have the application respect it. Would just need another flag called "Force language onto device" that you check. The applications would look for that flag in the user object and if found disregard the device settings for locale and only use the language set on the server. Entirely possible to do this.

Edited by speechles

Zero00
12 minutes ago, speechles said:

It will create a problem using the server to inherit the language. The OS will not sync to that same language since it will still be based on locale. Is that okay?

It can always fall back to the device locale or default language

on the devices I tested with (Android OS) the application always uses the server default language in my case English even if the device locale is set to another language. I have to set it manually from the client application.

Edited by Zero00

I can give a better example.

On the Roku they only support 5 languages. Only those 5 are stored in the locale. But the Emby app on Roku supports 27 languages. There are 22 languages which only exist on the Emby app on Roku which means we cannot use locale for those. We must write our own translator and tokenizer entirely along with everything required. But it is worth the effort to do this to get better language support for users. So we went and did this.

We want you to view your media your way. Not the way the device manufacturer wants you to view your media. We want users to be able to view their media their way in their language. That is why I am sure this request will be possible. It just makes sense.

• Like 1