Remote access issues

AmericanCrisis
Go to solution Solved by CBers,

AmericanCrisis

Hey guys I am having a problem accessing from my server from my Android Phone and Windows 8.1 app.  I have my server on my HTPC and use MBC for the HTPC which seems to work fine still.  I have had no problems since I set up a Dynamic DNS on my Netgear Router a few months ago.  I'm using the default 8096 port as well.  

I don't think it's a problem with the server necessarily.  Everything seems to be working fine other than not being able to access remotely.  Any ideas on how I can test whether it is a Dynamic DNS issue or a MB3 server issue?

AmericanCrisis

Update:  I again tried accessing through my Android Phone with no luck.  I tried entering my DNS address in web browser with no luck.  I tried Windows 8.1 app and it ALLOWED me to access.  I exited the app and tried again and it allowed me access.  It looks as though it was finding my IP address over the local network.  Tried entering that IP address on my Android phone and my profile (screen name appeared) but it said "Invalid response from server."  So transcoding via the Windows 8.1 app seems to be working just fine when I enter in the actual IP address.  Something must be wrong with my DNS server?

I ran a Command Prompt and typed pinged my DNS address.  I got the same identical four responses as I would if I pinged google.com

This to me seems like it is not a problem with the DNS address (I have it through no-ip). 

Anyhow, help would be appreciated.

AmericanCrisis

Could it be Windows Firewall?

Turn it off and try.

Just a thought.

Perhaps... I'll try; I'm not sure about the Android app though it seems weird that it won't let me connect even after entering the address manually.

AmericanCrisis

Edit:  Android app was working when entering the actual IP address.  I needed to enter in my username and password. Still no luck with my DNS server though, likely not a MB3 problem I'm assuming. 

CBers

Perhaps... I'll try; I'm not sure about the Android app though it seems weird that it won't let me connect even after entering the address manually.

Try clearing data in the app settings on your Android device.

AmericanCrisis

Ok I think I may have figured it out.  The port page in my router's advanced settings had port 8096 attached to a different IP address that I had just entered to get it to work.  I saw that I can manually set it to grab the IP address from a certain device (my HTPC has the correct IP address I think because that is where the server is) so I checked the appropriate box and now my DNS address works.  

It is strange that the settings malfunctioned.  It will be a pain in my rear if I have to manually go in an change port 8096 to the appropriate IP address everytime I cannot access remotely.  

Perhaps it will remember that I want it to grab the IP address from my HTPC?

AmericanCrisis

I know this is off topic but I was wondering why my CPU is maxing out on all four cores (i5-4440) while I am playing a movie on my local network at max transcode quality?  I had my resource manager open on my HTPC and while I was playing around with my laptop and its Windows 8.1 app I noticed the CPU was at 100% during playback. 

JeremyFr79

Well it looks like you figured it out, but I was going to say, Dynamic DNS Servers only route to your visible IP address (that which your ISP assigns to your router) Past that your router needs to be configured to know how to pass packets along that may come it's way for device's on the other side.  To do that you need to setup Port Forwarding so that the router knows in your case if traffic comes in via Port 8096 I need to pass that traffic onto the device at IP address 192.168.1.100 for example.  Without doing this your router get's the packets and essentially sits there and goes "duh what the f do I do with this???"  HOWEVER this isn't exactly secure and where Port Triggering comes in handy, With port triggering you can have a "knock knock" port of sorts where you say hit Port 24577 and it opens 8096 for traffic, otherwise 8096 either resets the connection or doesn't respond at all (depending on how you have it setup)  But I digress.....

• Like 1

AmericanCrisis

Well it looks like you figured it out, but I was going to say, Dynamic DNS Servers only route to your visible IP address (that which your ISP assigns to your router) Past that your router needs to be configured to know how to pass packets along that may come it's way for device's on the other side.  To do that you need to setup Port Forwarding so that the router knows in your case if traffic comes in via Port 8096 I need to pass that traffic onto the device at IP address 192.168.1.100 for example.  Without doing this your router get's the packets and essentially sits there and goes "duh what the f do I do with this???"  HOWEVER this isn't exactly secure and where Port Triggering comes in handy, With port triggering you can have a "knock knock" port of sorts where you say hit Port 24577 and it opens 8096 for traffic, otherwise 8096 either resets the connection or doesn't respond at all (depending on how you have it setup)  But I digress.....

Ok this is gonna lead me down a string of questions.  Sounds a little complicated.  Why is port forwarding not secure?  I assumed that if I had a username and login password than it would be secure.  

I would like to know more about port triggering and to me it sounds like this might be the way I should have it set up.  

AmericanCrisis

Can anyone tell me how I might set up the port triggering page on my router?  Image in previous post.

Edited by jhughy2010

Vidman

Ok I think I may have figured it out. The port page in my router's advanced settings had port 8096 attached to a different IP address that I had just entered to get it to work. I saw that I can manually set it to grab the IP address from a certain device (my HTPC has the correct IP address I think because that is where the server is) so I checked the appropriate box and now my DNS address works.

It is strange that the settings malfunctioned. It will be a pain in my rear if I have to manually go in an change port 8096 to the appropriate IP address everytime I cannot access remotely.

Perhaps it will remember that I want it to grab the IP address from my HTPC?

your htpc is setup with a static ip right?

AmericanCrisis

your htpc is setup with a static ip right?

I'm pretty sure I'm on a sticky dynamic IP address.  It seems that it changes every few weeks to a month.

CBers

I'm pretty sure I'm on a sticky dynamic IP address. It seems that it changes every few weeks to a month.

He means a static ip address on your internal lan.

In other words, not getting it's ip address via DHCP every time it's turned on.

• Like 1

AmericanCrisis

He means a static ip address on your internal lan.

In other words, not getting it's ip address via DHCP every time it's turned on.

Oh ok no I have not set up a static IP address.  I guess I'll need a guide on how to do that with Windows 8.1? After a quick read up on static IP addresses it appears that it is a staple for having a server set up as we do with MB3. 

CBers

Yes, you need to have a static address on the PC running MBS so that port forwarding is always to the correct target.

AmericanCrisis

Yes, you need to have a static address on the PC running MBS so that port forwarding is always to the correct target.

Ok thanks, I'm assuming that I'll need to follow some sort of guide to configure this in Windows?  Then also configure my router?

JeremyFr79

Ok this is gonna lead me down a string of questions.  Sounds a little complicated.  Why is port forwarding not secure?  I assumed that if I had a username and login password than it would be secure.  

I would like to know more about port triggering and to me it sounds like this might be the way I should have it set up.  

Port Forwarding is less secure because that port on your router is always open, hence anyone doing a simple port scan would see an open port thus showing them an easy door into your network to attack you.  With port triggering, the trigger port does not open when hit with a request but opens the triggered port instead thus making it much more difficult to see "open" ports to your network by someone with nefarious thoughts.

• Like 1