People Types for Music and other Album Information

swandruski

swandruski

I searched and couldn't find this brought up previously. Emby has the capability to add "People" to the metadata for an album in your Music library. However, the list for the "Type" field is decidedly slanted to types appropriate for Movies. I.e., the types listed are, Actor, Composer, Director, Guest Star, Producer, Writer. Types appropriate for Music would be really nice. Some of this information is available in databases such as Discogs, like the album recording engineer, mastering engineer, etc. The "Type" field would be difficult to use for musicians, unless you were happy with just "Musician". Discogs lists this kind of information under "Credits" and has the person's name and then text for the instruments played, or credit such as producer, recording engineer, etc. That might be easier to implement in Emby. This is the kind of album information I thought a system like Roon would provide, but it looks like it does not. Even if this information would be difficult to gather automatically, it would be nice to be able to add it manually. Fields for other album information such as recording date, release date (original and actual), recording studio, label, catalog number would also be nice. Many of these could exist in music file tags.

• Like 1

This would be good in emby, but roon does show that information you mentioned as I use roon also as part of my set up and I have an abundance of credit information for album releases. 

swandruski
4 hours ago, AndyRG said:

This would be good in emby, but roon does show that information you mentioned as I use roon also as part of my set up and I have an abundance of credit information for album releases. 

Well, I don't know what abundance of information you're seeing, but I don't see it. I'm just using the Windows app right now, but on Roon what I see is the album release date and then an album REVIEW that has some musician information if you want to dig through the verbose text. I don't need an album review and comments on whether this was the band's best album, or that they went "down hill" after this. I just want to be able to see who played on the album while I'm listening, or perhaps read the liner notes. Also I see no information about the recording studio, engineer, producer, etc. Roon sells itself as soooo much better, but I'm not seeing it. Aside from the "reviews" I've got more information about my albums in my Music Collectorz database. Sites like Music Brainz and discogs have some brief description of the album for some entries, which is all I need (such as, "This is the third album from..."). Look at what Emby shows for Movies - the cast, writer, director, producer, etc. with pictures.

I really think that if the Emby team wanted to put some resources into providing options like these, and we could gradually figure out consistent data sources, it could have a stellar music player. It's good now, but there's potential for more.

I use roon as my in house server and when I am in an album it shows at the top of the tracks 2 or 3 sub headings I cannot remember the first off the top of my head, but then should have a heading listed credits and if you click on that dependent on data available it will bring up who did what on the album such backing vocals, instruments played, producer's etc.. if I was near my pc would send you a screenshot of what I mean. I have this info on most of my albums 

swandruski

AndyRG - thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm seeing the Credit information. Some of my albums don't have much information, others have a good amount. I guess that's to be expected with my eclectic collection. I could still do without the "review" and would rather have more streamlined album information text, but perhaps I'm in the minority.