Roku unable to Direct Play Interlaced 1080i Channels (HDHomerun)

troyhough
Go to solution Solved by troyhough,

troyhough
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can someone please provide a sample video for testing and I'll see what can be done.

Thanks.

@ebrrecord one of the problematic channels (raw video) for a bit and send you a link to the file?

11 minutes ago, troyhough said:

@ebrrecord one of the problematic channels (raw video) for a bit and send you a link to the file?

If that recording reproduces the problem, yes.

Thanks.

troyhough
30 minutes ago, ebr said:

If that recording reproduces the problem, yes.

Thanks.

Here you go.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xWo9hf2NAJrtDVQ2QQ2LThnqW33GP8HY/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Hey @ebr@cayars is aware of the issue, maybe you can chat with him about a solution?

Edited by troyhough

martincom
1 hour ago, troyhough said:

@martincom

users, mouse over the user,  click on 3 dots, edit, make the change, save.

Got it.  Thanks.  Works as you indicated.

• Like 1

martincom
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Well, never mind that isn't going to work as the Roku does not support TS.

I have Roku Ultras and they play TS.  Ant-Man and Wasp was recorded with a Hauppauge Colossus 2.  The default recording format is TS.

The Magnum episode was recorded from a HDHomerun 1080i broadcast channel.

With both of these examples, I had "Allow video playback that requires transcoding." unchecked.

AntMan TS.JPG

MagnumTS.JPG

Edited by martincom
  • Like 1

As you can see, the container is not supported in both cases.  In the second case it is remuxing to HLS.

troyhough
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

As you can see, the container is not supported in both cases.  In the second case it is remuxing to HLS.

@ebr How can us Roku users get a Direct Play on these knowing that the Roku can actually do it, whether the TS container is supported or not? @cayars told me it was a 'bug' but didn't specify exactly what the bug was or how/when it would be addressed.

4 minutes ago, troyhough said:

@ebr How can us Roku users get a Direct Play on these knowing that the Roku can actually do it, whether the TS container is supported or not? @cayars told me it was a 'bug' but didn't specify exactly what the bug was or how/when it would be addressed.

You are not going to get direct play because the Roku does NOT support the TS container.  We can allow these to direct stream (remux) however.

troyhough
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

You are not going to get direct play because the Roku does NOT support the TS container.  We can allow these to direct stream (remux) however.

@ebr That would be great, can we get it without having to hack the user transcoding rules?

martincom
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

Edited by martincom

• Solution
troyhough
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Please try with the current beta of the Roku app.

Good news! Direct Play (Remux) does work in the 4.0.45 Beta! Can you share what the fix was? Thanks 🙏

Screenshot_20220209-114526.thumb.png.1a81a857bbe6321a9ab74449938cb3da.png

Screenshot_20220209-114402.thumb.png.920f0eb4847415a95c729044aefc75fc.png

Edited by troyhough
  • Like 1

troyhough
3 hours ago, ebr said:

It isn't direct playing - it is remuxing but thanks for the confirmation.

My CPU is no longer getting slammed when there are multiple Roku devices playing 1080i content. I am a happy camper. Thanks!

Edited by troyhough

4 hours ago, troyhough said:

@cayars told me it was a 'bug' but didn't specify exactly what the bug was or how/when it would be addressed.

What I was referring to is Emby transcoding the video in order to deinterlace when the device has the ability to handle the deinterlacing if needed. You could call this a bug as it shouldn't happen but it's a matter of adjusting the functionality for your Roku Device so it won't do this.

I'd actually love to see an option that is user driven just like on Android.  This way the system could assume interlaced content is handled by the client.  If it isn't the user can turn on the option and have the server transcode and deinterlace it.  Almost all devices sold these days handle interlaced content fine which we couldn't say a year or two ago.

Just to clarify using an example from earlier. This is a Direct Stream. Both the Video and Audio are used "direct" but the stream itself is not sent to the client in the original format which was mpegts (.ts extension) since that format is not usable on Roku.  It was instead streamed using the HLS protocol.  So it's a lightweight process as the audio and video and just copied into the new packets being written as needed by the client.  You can see the stream was processing at 419 frames per second.
MagnumTS.JPG

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nat Hill remote

martincom and troyhough,

You have the magic touch!
I raised the exact same issue a year ago, but you got it fixed in just a few days! 😀
Good for you, and good for Emby.
I will be more likely to record these 1080i stations on Emby using Silicon Dust instead of Comcast cable card.
THANKS Emby support folks.

Edited by Nat Hill remote
needed to credit TWO folks
  • Like 1

troyhough
3 hours ago, Nat Hill remote said:

martincom and troyhough,

You have the magic touch!
I raised the exact same issue a year ago, but you got it fixed in just a few days! 😀
Good for you, and good for Emby.
I will be more likely to record these 1080i stations on Emby using Silicon Dust instead of Comcast cable card.
THANKS Emby support folks.

I've had this problem for a LONG time. Feels GOOD to finally put it to bed! Kudos to the Emby team for fixing it up :D

• 2 years later...

@troyhough(or anyone else), do you have any 480i channels that you can test this with on Roku?

troyhough
12 hours ago, Luke said:

@troyhough(or anyone else), do you have any 480i channels that you can test this with on Roku?

I don't have any Roku devices to test right away. I can try the next time I am at a friend's house that has one!

• Thanks 1