Tags and Search

mcnafa

After waiting years for global search functionality that included tags I was excited about the new Emby release just to find myself disappointed again. While I am grateful for the new layout, the ability to search tags for videos, the search system is not at all global.

I can not search tags added to cast & crew, I can not add cast & crew to any collections. If you won't allow us to search tags added to these elements within Emby why allow us to add tags to them at all, I personally would just like an app that does what it is suppose to do. Please add search functionality to tags assigned to cast & crew as well as the ability to add them to collections.

I can not search tags added to cast & crew,

Hi, no, but you can search all tags so they are discoverable.

Hi Luke,

Emby allows users to add tags to Cast members, but when I try to search those tags the results are "No items matching your search criteria were found". So with this being the case, how can all tags be discoverable if Emby has them assigned but is not displaying them when properly searched. 

The tagging system for videos works flawlessly and I love the ability to click tags and see all the results now. I just wish there was a way to search tags assigned to cast and view cast without having to click each profile picture within a video or movie in order to do so. 

Happy2Play
12 hours ago, mcnafa said:

Please add search functionality to tags assigned to cast & crew as well as the ability to add them to collections.

Tags can be added to collections and searched, can also add people to collection.

But yes currently tags are not searchable assigned to a person.

I guess I am confused as to what tag you would apply to a person.

Lol, I can certainly understand if you don't know what tag I would apply to a person. We all use things in different ways, my point is simple, Emby has a function that allows a user to add tags to a person, but those tags do not display in search results. What tags I assign is irrelevant, the issue is the program has a function that does not work. I would like to use this function and don't understand why it is available and obviously enabled since I can add tags to a cast member, but does not provide results as it should.

It goes back to the same question everyone had before when you could add a tag to a movie or video but yet only Genres and Cast member names would populate in search results. Why have a functionality if it can't be used. Users will find a use for any feature once made available, I am simply requesting that a function already implemented into the program work the way it should.

I tried adding a Person to a Collection, that functionality also does not work, although Emby gives me feedback saying it has. When I got to collections the newly created collection does not exist and even after a refresh of Emby it still does not display. If this functionality works my main issue would be resolved but considering neither tags or collections assigned to cast members works I am asking for these features to be fixed so that they can be used properly. 

Edited by mcnafa

8 hours ago, mcnafa said:

the issue is the program has a function that does not work.

Hi.  We understand that it does not do everything you are expecting and we would like to expand the features so that it does in the future.  However, that does not mean that the function "does not work".   You can tag people and see those tags on the person detail screen and, when you click on one of those tags you can then see all the other items with that same tag.  There is no reason to eliminate that functionality just because another function doesn't support it yet.

Thanks.

I hear what you are saying and I appreciate all the work that the team does on the program, I understand it takes a lot of hard work behind the scenes to make this program as good as it is. What I was referring to when I said it doesn't work was global search, tags are not global if they are ignoring a section of the program that has tags.

Thank you for your response, im sure if the Emby team finds making these tags important enough to populate in search results they will some day.