What's the plan with Dolby Vision profile 7?

Dodgexander

sooty234
55 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

The current Android TV beta app can detect if DV

And what if you want to watch it on another device or remotely? You're pretty much stuck with only one device being able to play it. DV tone mapping on a wide scale may never happen. Doesn't it make more sense to have media that can be played on all emby apps and devices? Such a large headache for very little gain.

FrostByte

DV profile 7 can be played on all devices which support HDR10/HDR10+.  I can watch HDR10/HDR10+ on my Samsung and DV on another set with just one copy of a movie.

DV profile 5 is another issue, that's the one you would need two copies without tone mapping

Edited by FrostByte

sooty234
4 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

DV profile 7 can be played on all devices which support HDR10/HDR10+.  I can watch HDR10/HDR10+ on my Samsung and DV on another set with just one copy of a movie.

What about on your tablet, phone or other mobile devices? Or Roku stuff? It's kind of an all or nothing deal. 

And I wonder  what will happen when transcoding??????

Edited by sooty234
  • Like 1

RanmaCanada
2 hours ago, sooty234 said:

What about on your tablet, phone or other mobile devices? Or Roku stuff? It's kind of an all or nothing deal. 

And I wonder  what will happen when transcoding??????

That's the problem with proprietary technology.  And if you legally own the media you ripped, you usually get a "regular" digital copy (have not seen a UHD sold without one yet in North America) as well that you can easily view on any device you want.  This really only affects people who pirate, and they will be the most vocal of people who demand support.  It's a non issue for those of us with media from our own libraries.  

jrwalte

I hope HDR10+ is also more widely used. MakeMKV already supports it and is included in the video rip so very easy. DV still requires some work, with extracting it separately and then muxing it together.

FrostByte
49 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

I hope HDR10+ is also more widely used. MakeMKV already supports it and is included in the video rip so very easy. DV still requires some work, with extracting it separately and then muxing it together.

Not anymore with the latest makemkv.  You can now make DV rips in one go creating a dual layer single video track file.  Took me no time at all to rip LotR and the Hobbit

jrwalte

I have LotR and didn't notice but wasn't looking for it at the time. Will have to load it up again. I have the Diva which is supposed to be able to process DV to HDR10+ but haven't tried messing with it since I didn't have DV in my MKV anyway. But if I can now...

Does MakeMKV do it automatically? Maybe I actually already have it with my LotR rip from v 1.15.3 but Mediainfo doesn't properly show that DV is included?

Edited by jrwalte