How to determine why transcoding is happening.

Sigogglin

Is the description wrong?

I ask because it says 192.168.0.0./24 and not /16 ???

@Luke

Edited by cayars

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, cayars said:

@Luke

Was just looking that up, but the note has always been confusing.

If left blank, only the server's subnet and common private IP subnets (10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24, etc.) are considered to be on the local network.

What does blank actually cover?

rbjtech
17 minutes ago, cayars said:

@Luke

If meaning to specify RFC 1918, then yes it's wrong - it should say 192.168.0.0/16 

"If left blank, only the server's subnet and common private IP subnets (10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24, etc.) are considered to be on the local network."

If it means to give an 'example' of a common private network - then 192.168.0.0/24 is perfectly valid (ie 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.168.0.254)

It would be better to specify the actual LOCAL networks in the description if left blank so there is no question what is covered.  Could be a shorter description as well..

Sigogglin

The Nvidia Shield and server are both on the 10 VLAN.  I did add the 1 LAN because when I watched shows on my PC it would transcode.  Adding that made it direct play.

I have a firewall rule to allow access for anyone on the 1 LAN to the 10 VLAN, but no access from the 10 VLAN to the 1 LAN.  If that makes sense.

rbjtech
10 hours ago, Sigogglin said:

The Nvidia Shield and server are both on the 10 VLAN.  I did add the 1 LAN because when I watched shows on my PC it would transcode.  Adding that made it direct play.

I have a firewall rule to allow access for anyone on the 1 LAN to the 10 VLAN, but no access from the 10 VLAN to the 1 LAN.  If that makes sense.

Hmm ok - allowing the uni-directional http/s traffic is unrelated to the need for it to transcode (that's a layer 4/app decision) so I'm not sure why the rule is not allowing direct play.   As I said, mine does (VLAN 20>Firewall>VLAN 30 in my case) and I have nothing in that field (blank). 

RanmaCanada
On 02/01/2021 at 13:06, Sigogglin said:

They are one the same network.  I changed the QOS of the switch to port based and gave the shield's port the highest priority.  I can then play it fine, and after switching it back to auto it also streamed direct.  Is there any smarts in auto where if the network connection doesn't look capable that it will down rev automatically?

I also wonder if it was on the server side.  My server (unRaid) was running a parity check and it makes me wonder if there was a bottle neck.  It shouldn't as my server is pretty beefy with 64GB of memory, and 2 x Xeon E5-2680V3 CPU on a Supermicro X10DAC motherboard.  I did look at it and did see any process load issue, nor IO issues, but I'm still wondering.  I can't believe that the port priority would make any difference, as the only other things connected to that switch is a blu-ray player, Wii, etc.  It is a switch only for the TV cabinet.

Is there something I can look at in the log file to see if the server was struggling?

thanks for the help,

david

I can confirm that parity check destroys any playback.  It does not matter how powerful your machine is, parity check will bring everything to its knees.  I can barely browse my UNRAID server when it's doing a parity check let alone watch something haha.  E5-2670 16GB of ram with 124TB of space.

• Like 1