How to determine why transcoding is happening.

Sigogglin

Sigogglin

I'm using the AndroidTV app on a Nvidia shield for playback.

I've noticed that a couple movies recently have played back with transcoding on and the reason says bitrate too high.

I've attached the ffmpeg transocde log from the latest issue. It is the newly remastered LOTR.  From my understanding I should be able to stream this direct.

ideas?

ffmpeg-transcode-beac393e-e3b4-40af-a2be-af4eae66fdcc_1.txt

Happy2Play
VideoBitrate=63830047&AudioBitrate=384000

&TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Looks like you have about a 65Mbps set and what you are playing exceeds that.

rough item bitrate

"Bitrate":73634462

Now if you have it set on Auto then you may have to look at a higher default bitrate quality.

11 hours ago, Sigogglin said:

It is set to auto.  I'll set it higher and see how that works.

thanks

Is this on your local network?  Auto on a Shield on the LAN would set a higher bitrate max than that...

Then please confirm it was actually on auto and, if it was, you probably need to make some adjustments somewhere to ensure that the device is seen as local to your server on your network.

Hi.  We were talking about the setting in the Android TV app.  The settings above govern the web app.

Sigogglin

Ah, glad I posted that.

It was also auto on the Shield,  when I changed it to 140Mbps it stated direct streaming both video and audio, but would pause periodically.

Can the Shield not handle this?  Or is it a networking issue?

4 hours ago, Sigogglin said:

Ah, glad I posted that.

It was also auto on the Shield,  when I changed it to 140Mbps it stated direct streaming both video and audio, but would pause periodically.

Can the Shield not handle this?  Or is it a networking issue?

Most likely it's the network not keeping up. Is the shield on wifi or wired?

17 hours ago, Sigogglin said:

It was also auto on the Shield,  when I changed it to 140Mbps it stated direct streaming both video and audio

This is the content you posted above?  Are you using multiple networks or proxys or anything?  Auto on the local LAN would set the max at 110Mb which would have direct played the item you posted above.  If that wasn't happening then you should investigate why the server doesn't think this device is on your LAN.

Maybe you're looping out to a remote address or something...

Sigogglin

They are one the same network.  I changed the QOS of the switch to port based and gave the shield's port the highest priority.  I can then play it fine, and after switching it back to auto it also streamed direct.  Is there any smarts in auto where if the network connection doesn't look capable that it will down rev automatically?

I also wonder if it was on the server side.  My server (unRaid) was running a parity check and it makes me wonder if there was a bottle neck.  It shouldn't as my server is pretty beefy with 64GB of memory, and 2 x Xeon E5-2680V3 CPU on a Supermicro X10DAC motherboard.  I did look at it and did see any process load issue, nor IO issues, but I'm still wondering.  I can't believe that the port priority would make any difference, as the only other things connected to that switch is a blu-ray player, Wii, etc.  It is a switch only for the TV cabinet.

Is there something I can look at in the log file to see if the server was struggling?

thanks for the help,

david

36 minutes ago, Sigogglin said:

Is there any smarts in auto where if the network connection doesn't look capable that it will down rev automatically?

Not if you are on your local LAN (and the server realizes this).

37 minutes ago, Sigogglin said:

I also wonder if it was on the server side.  My server (unRaid) was running a parity check and it makes me wonder if there was a bottle neck.

Quite possibly.  No matter how beefy your server is, I/O would be a potential bottleneck during that operation - especially with platters.

Sigogglin

OK here is my server:

image.png.0c155a7a0b87cf604092e21fc1f77adf.png

I have it on my IOT VLAN, or the 10 subnet.  The client is also on this same VLAN.  However, when I wanted to stream from my PC it is on the 1 VLAN.  So added this to the server:

image.png.1d5bbbc0759463825a64d61719eed491.png

So it would treat my PC as on local LAN as well.  Could this be interfering with what Emby thinks is local?  Do I need to add 192.168.10.0/24 as well?

thanks

21 hours ago, Sigogglin said:

They are one the same network.  I changed the QOS of the switch to port based and gave the shield's port the highest priority.  I can then play it fine, and after switching it back to auto it also streamed direct.  Is there any smarts in auto where if the network connection doesn't look capable that it will down rev automatically?

I also wonder if it was on the server side.  My server (unRaid) was running a parity check and it makes me wonder if there was a bottle neck.  It shouldn't as my server is pretty beefy with 64GB of memory, and 2 x Xeon E5-2680V3 CPU on a Supermicro X10DAC motherboard.  I did look at it and did see any process load issue, nor IO issues, but I'm still wondering.  I can't believe that the port priority would make any difference, as the only other things connected to that switch is a blu-ray player, Wii, etc.  It is a switch only for the TV cabinet.

Is there something I can look at in the log file to see if the server was struggling?

thanks for the help,

david

You likely don't need QOS on your network but if so you likely want to set for port 8096 so anything talking to Emby get's the highest QOS.

Sure, running parity checks will likely cause small IO issues for video but likely not much difference to file copies.  I'd wait until the parity check was done and run again to get a true feeling how things are working.

192.168.1.0/24 is fine but you want to add any VLANs in the loop including the VLAN the server is on 192.168.10.0/24 so

192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.10.0/24, any other VLANs that will use Emby

rbjtech

How are you routing VLAN traffic - via a firewall or using a L3 switch ?  ie how is traffic getting from VLAN 10 (Emby server) to VLAN 1 (default) ?

rbjtech

ps - there is no need to add any RFC 1918 networks/vlan's to emby - they are automatically considered local - it says this in the text under the field...  ;)

I don't think he's using "common networks" that are automatically picked up.  Had he used 10.x space it work have worked without question but I don't think Emby picks up all 192.168.x ranges (but could be wrong).

rbjtech

Both are RFC 1918 (as is 172.16/12) - so I would hope so .... ;)

btw - I run multiple isolated/segment VLAN's on the 192.168.vlan.x structure - and apart from needing to route/allow the vlan's via a firewall (if not on the emby vlan) , I do not need to put anything special in this emby field - it classes them all correctly as local vlan's - as it should. 

Edited by rbjtech