Audiobook position keeps resetting on mobile client?

Chiefmas

Chiefmas

a little bit of an odd problem, my android client keeps resetting my audiobook position to where I was several days ago. This is streaming from my server, not a downloaded copy. I've checked to make sure I don't have another instance running somewhere else that might be resetting it, and I don't anywhere I've checked. Additionally, I log in with a different account on my phone than on my computers typically, so even if I were, they normally wouldn't be as the same user (partly to prevent things like this happening). 

One strange thing, it doesn't seem like it happens unless the client is fully stopped I think. I can stop it for an hour or two and come back and it seems fine, but longer periods, like overnight, and it seems to reset the position. 

Is there anyway to stop this happening?

Thanks!

Drahreg

I have a similar issue with the android client plus the it used a different position for the downloaded book and the streamed book. Also it does not give me access to downloaded titels, if I can't connect to the server. It only shows the Music folder in the app, but this folder is empty (because there is no downloaded music, only audiobooks).

My workaround is, that I download the book through the app and listen to it with a 3rd party audiobook app (smart audio book player).

By the way if you do not know where to find your downloaded files (cauz you have no access to your server and can't login into the android app):

/storage/emulated/o/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/Download/

I am happy with this workaround, the only more flexible alternative would be, to use the audible app again, but I prefer the smart audio book player.

Chiefmas

My workaround is, that I download the book through the app and listen to it with a 3rd party audiobook app (smart audio book player).

Yeah, I was starting to think about doing that same thing (I even use that player app), even though it's a bit bothersome. I know Emby isn't quite there yet with audiobook support, I just thought it was a bit farther along than this.

The client seems to treat downloaded material much more as just music, so it doesn't retain position at all for me. So I'm leaning heavily to just using Emby to manage the files as well.

Thanks!

Chiefmas

Are you rooted (I'm not on this phone)? I can't seem to get far enough up into the tree or parts of the filesystem are being masked. I can't get Smart Audiobook Player to see the Emby data folders.

Chiefmas
18 hours ago, Drahreg said:

Are you on Android 11? It seems Google made some changes in Android 11 recently, which make it much harder for apps to see data folders of other apps. Yay being more like Apple and making things way less useful. So, the short version is, none of the audio book apps I use are able to see that folder now (Android/data folders are being hidden now).

So...now unless Emby revises it's change from a few years ago, and allows us to target the folder, I don't think we can use it as a downloader/manager for better players. I've decided I've wasted too much time on trying to make this work with Emby though, so I'm just going to go back to plugging my phone in and copying files around.

Drahreg

Yes, my phone is rooted and I use Android 8, but the Smart Audio Player has no root access granted, if I remember correctly.

If you have an SDCard, you may can configure this as an alternative download location directly in the emby app.

It would be nice, if there was an option to choose a download folder freely....

It is funny, I also thought the audiobook option would be more usefull, as well as the ebook option (not working at all and I can usually open all the filetypes on my phone).

Chiefmas
2 hours ago, Drahreg said:

Yes, my phone is rooted and I use Android 8, but the Smart Audio Player has no root access granted, if I remember correctly.

Ah, yeah I've gathered that these are some specific changes that happened in 11. If I were rooted I could probably work around them, but I'm not on this phone. 

I'm on a Pixel, so no SD card. Emby really reduced the storage location options a few years ago from what I found. Maybe it would be ok if I could put it on other storage, but as I don't have the option, that won't be a fix for me either. :(

Drahreg
32 minutes ago, Chiefmas said:

Emby really reduced the storage location options a few years ago from what I found. Maybe it would be ok if I could put it on other storage, but as I don't have the option, that won't be a fix for me either. :(

Why did they do this? Maybe they will bring those extended options back.

Just now, Drahreg said:

Why did they do this? Maybe they will bring those extended options back.

Newer versions of android have greatly restricted the file system access that apps are allowed to have.

Drahreg
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Newer versions of android have greatly restricted the file system access that apps are allowed to have.

And there is no option for apps to access a commun folder like "Documents" or "Pictures"?

How could you work on a phone, if apps can't exchange files (e.g. Office apps)?

3 hours ago, Drahreg said:

And there is no option for apps to access a commun folder like "Documents" or "Pictures"?

How could you work on a phone, if apps can't exchange files (e.g. Office apps)?

No options where exactly?

Drahreg
20 hours ago, Luke said:

No options where exactly?

I meant in the Android system. Like a shared folder every program can access.