ASS subtitles not direct playing in 1.0.88

foristickman
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

foristickman

I just upgraded the version of emby on my TV from 1.0.85 to 1.0.88.

But since this update emby tries to transcode my ass subtitles and as my server is running off a NAS it's not powerful enough to transcode it.

I have all my subtitles stored externally.

I'm assuming it could have something to do with samsung TV's would not use the same font that is stored in the .ass/mkv and it would replace all fonts with a standard font which never really bothered me, but it's now trying to preserve the fonts.

In the meantime does someone have a copy of the older version. I know 1.0.85 works but never installed 1.0.86 or 1.0.87.

foristickman

Here is the .ass which I am in the middle of subtitling. It just contains lyrics for a japanese concert.

Downgrading back to 1.0.85 fixed the issue for me.

What happens is the file starts direct playing then when it get's to the part where the subtitles start it switches to transcoding.

I've also attached an emby server log for 1.0.88

server version 4.6.0.6 beta running a a Synology NAS

which I just updated yesterday to see if a newer server version would fix the issues.

Bang Dream! 7Th★Live Day2-Raise A Suilen「Genesis」.Subtitles.ass embyserver.txt

Edited by foristickman
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I just played a movie using the ass subtitles and my movie Direct played the whole time.  I saw the subs at the top and bottom no issues.  There were some special characters, but I didn't see any special fonts.  The only thing I did to the file was rename the file

foristickman

It's weird that it works on the older version for me but not the newer version especially if nothing has changed that should affect subtitles.

My TV is a 2019 model so I it's still pretty new so I don't know why it would work for you but not me.

The only other thing I can think of is I have embedded fonts in the mkv but Samsung subtitle engine ignores those anyway.

Edited by foristickman

FrostByte

@foristickman you could try remuxing your mkv w/o the font(s) just in case.  Or,  use mkvtoolnix and create a small slice of your video which includes the font and I'll test that here.  

foristickman

I tried remux without the font with no success.

I uploaded a short clip to show what it is doing on my system. It plays until it would display subtitles at which time it tries to start transcoding which my server can't handle.

I also zipped up the subtitles with a short 5 sec clip of the video, again it starts but has issues when the subtitles would appear.

Also if you can upload 1.0.86 and 1.0.87 I can determine which version this issue started appearing for me.

testing.zip

Edited by foristickman

FrostByte

Using your sliced video/subtitle I can't see any subtitles with Samsung app 1.0.88 and no transcoding even though the log shows it accessing the subtitle.  However, I was able to see subs using the full subtitle you gave me yesterday using one of my videos and 1.0.88.

When using ET for Android 3.1.73 on my Shield I did see subtitles on the sliced video/subtitle though

Not sure if it's because the video was so short, but here is the log

https://pastebin.com/BpBe2GBK

tizen (1.0.86).zip

tizen (1.0.87).zip

psxlover

I just came on the forum to get the latest version, and seeing as there may be an issue with .ass I will stick with the older version (unless if you want me to also test 1.0.88)

FYI I have 1.0.86 and the subtitles work fine there (with the exception of one particular series where subtitle extraction does not seem to work for me, but that is probably due to the files being on a network drive in addition to my server being underpowered, so I'm guessing there is some kind of timeout on that case).

11 hours ago, foristickman said:

1.0.87 still gives me the same issue. 1.0.86 wouldn't install (see attached image)

Yes, you will get this error.  It's no longer possible to install an old version.  Samsung time-lock the beta releases and they have a hard-coded expiry.

19 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Using your sliced video/subtitle I can't see any subtitles with Samsung app 1.0.88 and no transcoding even though the log shows it accessing the subtitle.

The sample is too short, but if you start playback and hit rewind at the 3 second mark (just after the vocals) it will give it time for the renderer to load.  You might have to hit back about 8 times (it can take up to 20 seconds for subs to start) but I was able to playback with subs and without transcoding 

I also get a different description of the audio track compared to yourself, so maybe there is a difference in this sample compared to the original?

Feel free to send me a PM to a link with the original file (I know it's big, so it will depend on if you have the online space and bandwidth to upload it)

• Like 1

FrostByte
3 hours ago, SamES said:

The sample is too short, but if you start playback and hit rewind at the 3 second mark (just after the vocals) it will give it time for the renderer to load.  You might have to hit back about 8 times (it can take up to 20 seconds for subs to start) but I was able to playback with subs and without transcoding 

I also get a different description of the audio track compared to yourself, so maybe there is a difference in this sample compared to the original?

Feel free to send me a PM to a link with the original file (I know it's big, so it will depend on if you have the online space and bandwidth to upload it)

I don't have the original file, just the original subtitle (full length).  @foristickman is it possible to upload the original file somewhere and send SamES and myself a link in PM

It's working fine here for me.  DirectPlay with ASS subs. 

Can you also attach the transcoding log from when it fails for you? 

Is the server log in this post (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/93526-ass-subtitles-not-direct-playing-in-1088/&do=findComment&comment=966366) from a playback of this same item?  It's reporting unsupported subtitle format, but it's also reporting the subtitle stream is stream 5 which doesn't match the file you gave us.

foristickman

It should be the same but I just tried it again to be sure. It started with video and audio and when the subtitle appeared I waited until it timed out with the error NO compatible streams are currently available.

Here is the new server log.

embyserver(1).txt

Edited by foristickman

Is there a transcode log as well?  Why did you get "NO compatible streams" instead of transcoding?  Sounds like something is turned off.

foristickman

I got a bunch of transcode logs. In my Activity feed I got multiple messages saying I finished watching it.  As you can see from this screenshot they are all close together timewise.

All the transcoding options are turned on in the settings, even though my NAS isn't powerful to transcode 1080p video.

Screenshot 2020-12-31 224650.png

ffmpeg-transcode-55cc8b92-0a10-428b-81bd-23b6a359f74f_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-2d2d02da-6490-448e-8a3f-d7561a9b4fae_1graph.txt ffmpeg-transcode-2d2d02da-6490-448e-8a3f-d7561a9b4fae_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-13fac18d-2b40-4884-ae43-27115df213af_1.txt