Jump to content

Emby not releasing HDHomeRun tuner


pinkfamily7
 Share

Recommended Posts

pinkfamily7

I have an HD HomeRun Prime, which has 3 tuners, and I have noticed that occasionally it seems that it does not gracefully "release" (for lack of a better term) one of the channels that were tuned when somebody is done watching.  Currently running latest beta, but I first noticed this when using one of the official releases as well.  Restarting the server (the linux server, not the Emby server) does clear it up (not sure if restarting JUST the Emby server would also be effective).  

In the attached logs/pictures, the channel that is not being released is 810 CW HD.  There are times where I do wish to be able to use all 3 tuners.  

HDHomeRun.png

emby.png

17692158_embyserver(1).txt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BillOatman

I believe it happens to more than just the homerun.  I have seen [fairly rare] instances where my son's remote Roku TV client shows as active in the server dashboard watching a IPTV stream hours after he has stopped watching.,  I believe he turns off the TV when he is done watching rather than exiting the Emby app first when this happens.

Edited by BillOatman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, pinkfamily7 said:

when somebody is done watching.

Exactly how the user exits is the issue with the Roku specifically.  Due to how that device OS is designed, if the user exits a currently playing stream with the "home" button, the app has no opportunity to close the stream with the server.  The server should detect that the app has gone away after a minute or so but there appears to be an issue with this in some cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

pinkfamily7

Is there a way to "force close" a stream, either via Emby, HDHomeRun, or command-line (specifically, Linux)?  I imagine that SOMETHING is receiving the stream, or the HDHomeRun wouldn't keep sending it, would it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, use the BACK BUTTON when in Live TV to gracefully exit video playback (back to a menu).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BillOatman
On 12/26/2020 at 2:24 PM, pinkfamily7 said:

Is there a way to "force close" a stream, either via Emby, HDHomeRun, or command-line (specifically, Linux)?  I imagine that SOMETHING is receiving the stream, or the HDHomeRun wouldn't keep sending it, would it?

I have a windows bat file that uses a homerun executable to get the homerun device to reboot.  Not ideal for you if others may be using the homerun at the same time.  Not sure if that same executable can also reset a particular tuner or not. But here is how you reset the device.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe we've identified the conditions that cause this and we'll have a fix added to the server soon so that you won't have to worry about this. Thanks for reporting.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
muppets4
On 12/29/2020 at 7:18 PM, Luke said:

I believe we've identified the conditions that cause this and we'll have a fix added to the server soon so that you won't have to worry about this. Thanks for reporting.

I have this too. Also a HDHomerun tuner, but configured through TVHeadend. I thought I was going mad, because 2 or streams were busy with full bandwith streaming. But my WAN wasn't reporting any data transfer luckily. Hope this is fixed soon, because it stresses the server with no need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2021 at 7:41 PM, muppets4 said:

I have this too. Also a HDHomerun tuner, but configured through TVHeadend. I thought I was going mad, because 2 or streams were busy with full bandwith streaming. But my WAN wasn't reporting any data transfer luckily. Hope this is fixed soon, because it stresses the server with no need.

What Emby app were you playing with?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jason'sEmby

Yes I've noticed this as well on Roku. Hopefully this is fixed and I can leave orange side. With 10 roku's this is the only thing(roku tuner release problem, ui guide speed and live TV stability) holding me back. But I'm still a monthly Doner of Emby because you guys are light years ahead of the competition on everything else;). My New Year's resolution is to leave the competition.

Edited by Jason'sEmby
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jason'sEmby

Nevermind I should have tried it before I talked. The tuner release seems to be working, at least a couple times I've tried it this morning. I haven't tried it in a couple weeks. Also on emby Roku beta with direct stream live TV check marked I was able to play it for an hour and a half so far with no issues!! Not sure what's changed but I'm happy if it works!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

pinkfamily7

I'm assuming that this fix is not "live" yet in the beta version?  I did have to restart my server yesterday using 10.6.0.10 beta because some channels weren't releasing.  Not a huge deal, but just following up in case it was supposedly fixed in this version.  I do believe the main "culprit" in my case is coming from a Roku device, but is also possible that it's caused by a Fire stick as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jason'sEmby
11 minutes ago, pinkfamily7 said:

I'm assuming that this fix is not "live" yet in the beta version?  I did have to restart my server yesterday using 10.6.0.10 beta because some channels weren't releasing.  Not a huge deal, but just following up in case it was supposedly fixed in this version.  I do believe the main "culprit" in my case is coming from a Roku device, but is also possible that it's caused by a Fire stick as well.

Roku has always been the culprit for me. Which has been the determining Factor on me switching. But I'm doing the pull the plug method 🔌(not backing out, just turning off).  So far it's working, but that can change. I'm adding more of my roku's now. I may have to get an Emby decal soon to replace this one in picture

20200704_183804.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jason'sEmby

So spent quite a few hours testing it and I can confirm it releases from the server but it does not release from the hdhomerun tuner. This happens when you don't use the back button before powering off. Tried fire stick and Roku, Roku is still definitely the culprit. Hopefully there's a fix for this soon:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jason'sEmby

@ebr forgive me for my uneducated explanation of this. But when I did beta testing for Plex back in the day they had some sort of system in place with the server that pretty much sent a command to the client and the client had to send the same command back to the server, this occurred every few seconds or it would automatically end the Stream and send some kind of kill command for the tuner being used. 

Server sent command Plex

Client received command Plex

Client send command Plex

Until there was a break in the chain. Kill stream on server and tuner. 

 

Does emby already have something like this implemented for Roku? This was their solution to the back button issue. Once again this was my dummy version of it because I have no clue how they did it 😆.  They just asked me to test it over and over until it finally worked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jason'sEmby said:

Does emby already have something like this implemented for Roku?

Yes we do but there was a recent issue identified in the server that I don't think has made it to a beta release yet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jason'sEmby
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Yes we do but there was a recent issue identified in the server that I don't think has made it to a beta release yet.

Okay awesome, thank you for the reply!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Jason'sEmby I did bang on Roku about not giving us any way to give the server a warning the Roku is going to terminate the application.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Please-give-us-onDestroy-as-an-event/td-p/515902

Because they do not offer us the ability to do anything once a user presses the home button. You are just whisked away. The application has no way to tell the server anything except the progress reports (aka keep-alive heartbeats) stop getting sent. Wish there was a better way. I made a Star Wars joke in the URL above hoping that would at least get laughs and bump the thread. Didn't happen. Not every Astromech has a hero listening.

Edited by speechles
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guess is that Roku would have to re-build their entire OS to allow an ondestroy event because, as it is, this would allow an app to block the whole thing.

Hope I'm wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jason'sEmby
44 minutes ago, speechles said:

@Jason'sEmby I did bang on Roku about not giving us any way to give the server a warning the Roku is going to terminate the application.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Please-give-us-onDestroy-as-an-event/td-p/515902

Because they do not offer us the ability to do anything once a user presses the home button. You are just whisked away. The application has no way to tell the server anything except the progress reports (aka keep-alive heartbeats) stop getting sent. Wish there was a better way. I made a Star Wars joke in the URL above hoping that would at least get laughs and bump the thread. Didn't happen. Not every Astromech has a hero listening.

I do like the Star Wars joke 😆.  I have found though the dark side has set it up on their server / client roku side and it works really well. If you guys can perfect it as well I think you won't have an issue with this more. Just going to be a little bit of trial and error. But this is the way!

Edited by Jason'sEmby
Link to comment
Share on other sites

globe123

This is a great program!!  I used Beyond TV and then HDhomerun DVR previous to finding Emby.

When Emby does not release one of the HDHomerun tuners, the CPU goes to 100% (Emby at 32%, System at 68% +- 5%)  and will continue until Emby is restarted. Upon restarting Emby, the CPU usage goes very low (5%). Nothing is recording and nothing set to record. OS is Windows 10 and the Emby version is 4.5.4.0. I uncheck the "Enable DLNA Play to" box, as this was also causing the CPU to go to 100%. (found this in another post)

embyserver-63745982623.txt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jason'sEmby

@ebr I'm jumping ship to you guys. Orange is a lost cause. How do I go about getting on beta and do you possibly have an ETA on the next Beta release that might fix the tuner released? Thank you 😊

Edited by Jason'sEmby
I can test myself;)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can download the Beta Server and install it from the download page on the website.  Once you do this the server will stay updated with the beta releases

image.thumb.png.a993e30cce322ca5ec2e47b240045f93.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...