Holiday theme... but no suggestions?

C.S.
Go to solution Solved by vdatanet,

The holiday theme activated last night, I got the jingle bells and the notice to try some suggestions, but I don't see any suggestions. Do I need to do something?

• Solution
vdatanet

Do you have movies with the Holiday genre assigned? You have to assign the Holiday genre, that information is not obtained from any data scrapper.

• Like 2

Well that would explain it.

So, for the Halloween theme, it automatically selects and suggests from the Horror genre, but for Xmas I need to make my own Holiday genre to pull suggestions from?

Do I have that right?

vdatanet
15 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Cool. Mystery solved. Thanks!

After adding the genre to the movie, remember to lock the genre modification, otherwise when updating the metadata, the manual genre is lost.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes, because the major metadata providers don't usually assign holiday or Christmas genres to items.

I don't know exactly how it works with Embuary but with that Kodi skin I get suggestions provided for christmas and I haven't manually change any genre.

Maybe @sualfred could elaborate and you guys maybe adapt?

clarkss12

Kodi Embruary skin scans all the media, including TV shows and grabs anything that contains the word Christmas or any of it's derivates.......... 

clarkss12

For those that don't use the Embruary skin, here are some of the Christmas suggestions, and the list goes on and on, depending on how many recordings you have.  Perhaps, the Emby app can do something similar.

394223603_Christmassuggestions(1).thumb.jpg.ba7f43826a2a74d96edbc7a2ff7c76fe.jpg

Christmas suggestions (3).jpg

Christmas suggestions (4).jpg

Christmas suggestions (2).jpg

Unless they have appropriate genres "Scrooge", "Elf" and "Die Hard" have to be coming from some sort of internal list of "known" holiday movies.

clarkss12
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Unless they have appropriate genres "Scrooge", "Elf" and "Die Hard" have to be coming from some sort of internal list of "known" holiday movies.

Here is the metadata for "Elf"

199331209_elfmetadata.thumb.jpg.f236c0657f41583647ea1c0f6bf73f5c.jpg

vdatanet
Just now, ebr said:

Plex has added season suggestions and there are almost all my Christmas movies, somewhere there must be a list or something similar. I will try to investigate where that information comes from. There are obvious movies, but others like Die Hard, Gremlins, Serendipity are not so obvious where they can come from.

clarkss12

Overview of Die Hard 2

"Off-duty cop John McClane is gripped with a feeling of déjà vu when, on a snowy Christmas Eve in the nation’s capital, terrorists seize a major international airport, holding thousands of holiday travelers hostage. Renegade military commandos led by a murderous rogue officer plot to rescue a drug lord from justice and are prepared for every contingency except one: McClane’s smart-mouthed heroics."

seanbuff

@ebr any chance you can expand the criteria to also include tags named "christmas" -- as all my holiday media is using tags

Otherwise, they also use custom genre "Xmas" not "Holiday" ...more variables would be nice, thanks 🙂

canada99
16 hours ago, clarkss12 said:

Apparently, the Embruary skin is scraping the metadata looking for "Christmas".

You're making me want to install kodi 😁  looks great on that curved tv 🙂 I noticed in the past kodi does not auto populate the live tv from emby is why I stopped using it but the christmas suggestions is nice.

vdatanet
6 hours ago, biggcriz said:

So does it search for the Holiday genre only or will it recognize Christmas as a genre as well?

It searchs for Holiday and Christmas genre.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Happy holidays, everyone. I'm back again one year later with a slightly different issue:

The holiday suggestions list on the main menu (android tv) is 30 items long, and as far as I can tell it is completely static. It's the same 30 items in the same order every time I load the app. The problem is I have quite a few more than 30 items in my Holiday genre. It would be nice to see them take turns on the list each time I start the app if not each time I go to the main menu.

Is there a way to force a new list?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, C.S. said:

Happy holidays, everyone.

+1

Just had a look at my clients and Android TV seems to be the only one that activated.
Unfortunately, WebUI and Android Mobile didn't activate the seasonal theme at all.

14 hours ago, C.S. said:

Happy holidays, everyone. I'm back again one year later with a slightly different issue:

The holiday suggestions list on the main menu (android tv) is 30 items long, and as far as I can tell it is completely static. It's the same 30 items in the same order every time I load the app. The problem is I have quite a few more than 30 items in my Holiday genre. It would be nice to see them take turns on the list each time I start the app if not each time I go to the main menu.

Is there a way to force a new list?

Hi.  No, there is no way to make it refresh at this time.

item.Overview.Contains("Christmas");

Only problem is a movie like "Dumb and Dumber", because the character's name is Lloyd Christmas. But other then that...

Or a regex matches:

"Christmas|Holiday|..."