I have Emby server running on desktop, but want to run it from Qnap instead.

King Pin

King Pin

As the title says.  I guess I should have done that from the start but....

All data is on my Qnap (45tbs) but Emby server is installed and run off my desktop. 

I downloaded Emby server and installed the qpkg on my Qnap.  

I thought it would then just let me migrate everything over but Emby wizard/installer makes me register a new user.  

So right now I have no idea how to do this. 

Any help or tutorials on how to do such a thing?

• 7 months later...
King Pin
On 12/21/2020 at 8:08 AM, Luke said:

Hi, our backup guide can be found here:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Well I am finally at the time I can do this and already having an issue.  

I installed the Server Config backup on my existing server and backed up to my harddrive on my desktop. When I open the plugin at the bottom it shows the backup was made. 

Z:\EMBY BACKUP

I then installed Server Config backup on my new server which is on my Qnap.   Went to the settings but I can't bring up the same location on my Z drive.  Even if I manually add Z:\EMBY BACKUP it says "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again."  

On 7/24/2021 at 8:21 PM, King Pin said:

Well I am finally at the time I can do this and already having an issue.  

I installed the Server Config backup on my existing server and backed up to my harddrive on my desktop. When I open the plugin at the bottom it shows the backup was made. 

Z:\EMBY BACKUP

I then installed Server Config backup on my new server which is on my Qnap.   Went to the settings but I can't bring up the same location on my Z drive.  Even if I manually add Z:\EMBY BACKUP it says "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again."  

But Z: is not a valid path on your QNAP, right? Z:\ is a windows path, that's not going to work on QNAP.

What is the path to the folder when accessing from QNAP?

• Like 1

King Pin
31 minutes ago, Luke said:

But Z: is not a valid path on your QNAP, right? Z:\ is a windows path, that's not going to work on QNAP.

What is the path to the folder when accessing from QNAP?

Yes sir correct.  I got it just a few minutes ago.  I moved everything over to the QNAP side and it worked.  

• 1 month later...
King Pin

Maybe I just have this totally wrong.  

Let me ask a couple questions here.  

Originally:

• My QNAP(server/nas) holds all my files.  
  • I never had Emby server installed on it
  • I installed Emby server on my desktop
  • I am able to get on Emby through localhost or through my ip address
  • Through localhost I am given the option to stream to chromecast to all my tv's
  • problem is if I shut off my computer at night and I go on my phone I cannot connect to Emby because my computer is off/Qnap runs 24/7

My understanding is that if I install Emby server on my Qnap I don't need to run Emby server on my desktop?  Is this correct? 

So I did this.:

• I manually installed the qpkg on my Qnap.  
  • The app shows up on my Qnap Dashboard. 
  • I click the Emby program and Emby opens up and I went through the setup process all over again ie. setup my folders and synced everything. 
  • But I have no option to stream anything through Chromecast.  No Localhost. 

lurch9366

Word of advice. When I did this from a backup a lot of things had quirk's. Main thing is remapping all your folder paths. 2nd if an item like cover art or playlists is not working, uninstall and reinstall. most every issue I had was to do with the backup trying to use the old file path in some way and reinstalling the app/item or remapping to the new path on the qnap fixed the issue

• Like 1