Set Global Upload Limit

trusselo

trusselo

I've seen several other mentions of this in random posts, but was surprised, i could not find an actual Feature Request for this.

I see the "per user upload limit" in Network Settings...  it always rubbed me the wrong way...

thats a loaded question. it depends... how many streams are there?

I would think a global upload would make more sense.

I have 15 Mbit upload from my ISP, i actually get 16.  I want 10 Mbit of it dedicated to emby.
So a Global of 10 is what i want.

Per user setting can figure that out from the global and number of current streams.

Global divided by the number of Streams equals per User stream setting.  (in my head)

G / S = U

If U is lower than video file bitrate, start transcoding.

Or is there a reason its not done this way already?

Global setting makes more sense than a per user setting in my head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trusselo said:

Global divided by the number of Streams equals per User stream setting.  (in my head)

G / S = U

If U is lower than video file bitrate, start transcoding.

Or is there a reason its not done this way already?

There is at least a reason why your suggestion won't work.

You're not considering that we're dealing with a dynamically changing situation - first of all that's your "number of streams" parameter:

• Assume G = 10 Mbps
  • We start with no user connected
  • Then, user A connects and requests playback
  • Means, we have 1 stream, so U = 10 Mbps / 1 = 10 Mbps
    => user A will have 10 Mbps bitrate limit
  • Next, user B connects and requests playback
  • That makes 2 streams and U = 10 Mbps / 2 = 5 Mbps
    => user B will have 5 Mbps bitrate limit

What now?

User A is already streaming at 10 Mbps. Should we stop his playback and restart with 5 Mbps?

On the other side, A+B together already makes 15 Mbps in total.

You see - it's not that easy. And I think that might also be the reason why we only have the per-user limit and not a global limit.

Edited by softworkz

Yes, this has been discussed with all of the issues mentioned above.  However, you can achieve pretty much what you are asking for now with a combination of the per user bandwidth limit and the global simultaneous video streams limit.

You want to limit to a total 50Mb set your user limit to 10 and simultaneous stream limit to 5.

trusselo

well now that i think of it, i personally dont watch from outside my network much, my family does, so correct me if I am wrong.

Right now on devices outside of network, what happens when the download or upload speed cant keep up with playback?

It stops and stats re-encoding at a lower bitrate automatically, doesn't it?  When set to Auto quality?

So stopping the stream and changing bitrate is nothing new. @softworkz

I would rather each member get the same level of quality, rather than the first user getting the best quality, 2nd ok, 3rd crap.

I would think emby knowing what speed is available to it would help it make better streaming decisions.
Plus the ability to set a top limit to not impede other network uploads, like security cameras.

Like i suggested in my first post.  Lets say my upload is 15.  I want 5 of it to never be used by emby because of security cameras that need to upload to a cloud.
So setting a global limit in emby telling it to never exceed 10, would reserve that last 5 for the web cams.

(Now personally I dont have cloud cameras. im smarter than that, but i have other things that i dont want to disclose, but same idea. others do have cloud cams)

But just spit-balling ideas... as always.  At least Luke is on my side this time, lol

11 hours ago, trusselo said:

It stops and stats re-encoding at a lower bitrate automatically, doesn't it?  When set to Auto quality?

No, we do not do that now.

11 hours ago, trusselo said:

Lets say my upload is 15.  I want 5 of it to never be used by emby because of security cameras that need to upload to a cloud.
So setting a global limit in emby telling it to never exceed 10, would reserve that last 5 for the web cams.

Wouldn't setting each user to 5 and only allowing two simultaneous streams do just that? (or any other numbers that factor to 10)

We're not saying it is impossible to do what you are asking.  We're saying exactly how to do it 1) isn't just flipping a switch and 2) isn't cut-and-dried on exactly what the best way is.  Therefore, it becomes complicated to implement and support so will take a while before we get there.

trusselo
On 22/12/2020 at 07:01, ebr said:

No, we do not do that now.

It doesnt do that now?

Well, now im surprised how well emby works. I rarely get complaints, but never when there are other users. 
I sometimes have 3 or 4 external network streams running, my "per user" is set to 10.

But then again i dont do full bluray quality rips...