Emby Theater for Xbox One S - Limited Settings in "Playback" Menu

JasonNalley

JasonNalley

Hey guys, I have a family member connecting to me remotely (from a separate house/internet connection) with an Xbox One S.  I have another Family Member same deal (but an Xbox One, not S) who is working just fine, and the way we were able to get him to work was by going to Settings>Playback>Video and putting Internet streaming to 10Mbit (I have all of my 1080p content is below 10Mbit, and all of my 4K content is above 10Mbit, but neither of them will be viewing the 4K content), this ensures no transcoding.  However, in the "Auto" state, it always transcoded on files that were greater than 2Mbit.  Anywho, I thought I'd help out my other family member, and set it up the same way, but he doesn't have the Video "Internet Streaming" options drop down menu like the person with the Xbox One.

Xbox One S (1.1.333.70) - This is the one NOT working, and doesn't have the menu
Xbox One (1.1.332.70) - This is the one that IS working, and does have the menu

Anyone care to shed some light on why one wouldn't have the drop downs for Internet Streaming? or Home Network Streaming for that matter...

Edit: I should also say, the One S has uninstalled and reinstalled the app twice, same issue.  And they're both connecting to me via Emby Connect, if that matters.

Edited by JasonNalley

JasonNalley
14 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, sounds like you may have restricted transcoding access from that user.

Yes, I have, that's not the point though.  All of my users have transcoding restricted, purposely.  He's missing an entire menu that will make it so he can direct stream/direct play instead of transcode.  That menu is the Internet Streaming and Home Network streaming menu that is present in every other app (Android, FireTV, Emby Theater for Windows, etc).  It's simply not present in *his* version of the Emby Theater for Windows app on his Xbox One S.  If it was there, and we could select 10Mbit, he would work just fine.

What entire menu do you mean?

If you've restricted user access to transcoding, then the quality selection has no effect, so I think you might be misunderstanding it.

JasonNalley
22 minutes ago, Luke said:

What entire menu do you mean?

If you've restricted user access to transcoding, then the quality selection has no effect, so I think you might be misunderstanding it.

The "Auto" function in "Internet Streaming", nearly always triggers a transcode on anything larger than 2Mbit bitrate.  I don't know why that is, but it's how it has always functioned for me and my users.  If I have them set things to 10Mbit 1080p (all parties have a greater than 10Mbit connection, and I myself am on Gigabit full duplex), it works just fine, and what's better, is that Emby automatically selects the 1080p copy instead of the 4K copy of movies and shows.  Though, for me, who has it set to 120Mbit 4K, it auto-selects the 4K content.  Both of those facts are just bonuses to the functionality though.  The "Auto" feature simply doesn't work as intended for any of my users, setting it (not on a movie by movie basis, but in the actual Playback Menu) to 10Mbit is the only way everyone consistently works as expected.

The Menu's they are missing, are the "Internet Streaming" and "Home Network Streaming" drop down menus under the Video Section in "Playback" area of their Emby Theater for Windows settings.  

Again though auto has no effect if you've restricted their access to transcoding. I think that's the part you're not getting. We should look at the actual issue you're having:

JasonNalley
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Again though auto has no effect if you've restricted their access to transcoding. I think that's the part you're not getting. We should look at the actual issue you're having:

Luke, I don't think I understand what you mean.  If I disable transcoding, anyone who puts it to auto (even here at home, if I put it to Auto), it kills the stream because Auto nearly always forces a transcode, and that is disabled for every user.  So what is it you are you saying?

Secondly, I can't report a problem I personally am not having, I can send my family member here to make the issue if you want, but I don't see what that has to do with missing menu's.  Everyone else has the drop downs, that user does not, simple.  How do we get them the drop down menu's for "Playback"?  It doesn't matter "WHY" I want the drop down menu's it just matters that they're not there, and if it fixes the problem, then hey... it fixes the problem.

Why not try creating a test user on your server and restricting their transcoding access? Then we can work through this together.

I'm the family member that's having the issue. I have an Xbox One S. I'm using the Emby Theater app version 1.1.333.70

Under the playback menu, I was missing the internet streaming and home network streaming drop downs.

Anytime I would try to watch something on my brothers server, it would crash immediately. After uninstalling the app and reinstalling the app 3 times, the missing menu's magically appeared. I left them at their default settings of 'Any' and tried to watch something, the app crashed. I changed both of those settings to 10mbit and it's playing perfectly right now. No transcoding.

Me seeing the menu on MY xbox should have nothing to do with that setting on his server. Transcoding is still disabled for me on his server.

JasonNalley
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you can see the menu now, it's because your user is now granted access to transcoding.

No he is not, lol

I can assure you.  Look here: 
image.thumb.png.ca462da065efd6864ef9fbc098e7b254.png

That has not changed (with the exception of "Allow Audio Playback that Requires Transcoding" since day one.  He's always been that way, and so have all of my other users

JasonNalley

Luke, I would just like to clarify the menu in question is not the one on the Movie/TV Show page, or while the movie/TV show is playing.  The menu in question is the one where you to go the Head and Shoulders at the top right, then settings, then "playback".  The two drop down menus in the video sub-section of that menu were missing yesterday, and now the 2 drop down menus are there, without me having changed a thing on my server...