(One of my) Libraries is empty...

NGNear

Hi all,

I've run into an unusual problem with Emby - one of my libraries is empty, and repeated scans do not seem to be repopulating it.  Debug log covering a requested library scan is attached to this post.

Details:  Server is running Ubuntu 20.04.1LTS; problem occured on  Emby 4.4.3 and remains the same on 4.5.3 as well.  I currently have 9 libraries on the system, scattered over several HDDs:

- 12TB_D1 holds "Ongoing TV", "Unwatched TV" and "Archived TV" Libraries - no problems

- 8TB_D1 holds "Anime Series", "Anime Movies", "Music" and "Soundtracks" Libraries - no problems

- 12TB_D3 holds "Movies" and "Unwatched Movies" Libraries.  "Movies" is fine; populated normally, no issues.  "Unwatched Movies" appears completely empty.

Here's a complicating factor:  Until a week or two back, both "Movies" and "Unwatched Movies" were stored on a different HDD.  I moved the files across, and updated the Library settings from the Emby Server Dashboard by adding the new folders to each library, then deleting the old folders.  This worked for "Movies" but apparently not for "Unwatched Movies".  I spotted the problem a couple of days ago (i.e. several days after the switchover), and tried deleting the "Unwatched Movies" library in it's entirety and creating a new one with the same name - no change, nothing found on scan.

I've checked permissions - ownership and permissions are identical between "Movies" and "Unwatched Movies" and their content.

I've created a Test Library as a new item and pointed it at the same folder, but it remains empty after a media scan, so I don't think it's a corrupted item in a database caused by using the same name for a "different" library.

Any thoughts or suggestions for the next step in troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thanks.

embyserver.txt

mark-in-dallas

This probably won't make a difference, but just to rule it out I would try changing the name of the folder from Unwatched Movies to something like Unwatched-Movies.

I might also try moving an individual file from the Unwatched folder into the Movies folder then rescanning to see if the file is then shown in Movies

There are no spaces in any of the folder names (or anywhere in the path from root, for that matter).  There are only spaces in the library names - and 5 of the 8 correctly functioning libraries have a space in their names.

Good call on copying an individual file (I actually grabbed a whole subfolder, comprising mkv file, nfo file and a couple of images) across to the Movies folder and scanning - it showed up in the "Movies" library.

mastrmind11

yeah prob a mapping issue.  just do what you did for everything, then make your old folders, and move them back I guess.

mark-in-dallas

I didn't suggest changing the name of the folder to eliminate the spacing, I made the suggestion to see if somehow the name itself was causing the issue.

Edited by mark-in-dallas

17 minutes ago, mark-in-dallas said:

I didn't suggest changing the name of the folder to eliminate the spacing, I made the suggestion to see if somehow the name itself was causing the issue.

Ah, I see.

Well, between that and mastrmind11's suggestion, I have "fixed" the problem - I renamed the folder in question ("unwatched" to "temp"), created a new folder in the location "unwatched", then moved the content from "temp" to "unwatched", and Emby can now see it.

Interestingly, I did find two subfolders that had incorrect ownership - "root:root" instead of "<user>:<user>", but a quick check (chowned a subfolder to root:root and re-scanned) showed that wouldn't have been the problem.

So, overall problem fixed, but no idea what the root cause was.

Thanks, everyone.

• Like 1