New user / New Server - Emby Connect lists my server but I cannot connect to it.

jdroberto
Go to solution Solved by jdroberto,

jdroberto

Hi all, new to Emby, just got it installed and running, added a library - it looks and feels great. If I can get it working properly with remote access, etc I'm definitely going to spring for a lifetime premiere subscription.
When I try to access the server remotely (Windows 10, Firefox) I log into Emby Connect and I see the server, but when I click on connect I get what I think is a common error for new people:

image.png.4a3c147e9a3da8a30127fa166376ca68.png

Also, it's a little weird it says "Sign in with Emby Connect" on the screen since I am already signed in.

I am running Emby on port 9096 (rather than 8096).  I've updated that in the dashboard and it appears to be working:
image.png.200e5b5385a92451ce3b01017247e5f5.png

I've also run a port checker app and confirmed that the port is there and the service is listening on that port:

image.png.c06f04a62bd393425629ebc324e4deb8.png

Any thoughts on how I can get this working?  After this I'll be on to SSL securing the server.

jdroberto

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using the regular http://app.emby.media and can't seem to reach it.

On the server computer Emby is up and running just fine:

image.png.0d4b020ca39337bd8e34afaf6ea448b2.png

Any logs (windows, emby, etc) I could check/post? Happy to do the leg work, just don't know where to look.

jdroberto

Interesting update, I tried from my laptop and got the same error.  Then I tried from my iPad (safari, not the emby app) and it worked.  I'll try the above listed steps.

• Solution
jdroberto

Closing this topic as I have figure it out - it seems to have been a loopback issue. I can connect remotely but NOT from the same network the server itself is on.  Makes me wonder if I install the app for Roku, will I be able to access my own server?

Thanks for the feedback . You can connect on your local network, but you'll just have to just the lan address. You should be fine doing that with the Roku app.

jdroberto

One other piece of setup info - maybe worth it's own thread but I don't want to clutter your forums. Setting up SSL with Caddy reverse proxy is 1000000x easier than the instructions on your setup documentation.  Have you considered also doing a step-by-step guide for that process?  I'm a complete idiot about this kind of stuff and I was able to do it so I am thinking others will find it pretty simple as well.

43 minutes ago, jdroberto said:

One other piece of setup info - maybe worth it's own thread but I don't want to clutter your forums. Setting up SSL with Caddy reverse proxy is 1000000x easier than the instructions on your setup documentation.  Have you considered also doing a step-by-step guide for that process?  I'm a complete idiot about this kind of stuff and I was able to do it so I am thinking others will find it pretty simple as well.

That would be great.  Adding to the current thread would probably be the best approach here.  Thanks!