New Emby connect Process?

primeflix

primeflix

Hi There,

This morning I noticed a new emby connect process, where by the attached notice is shown when selecting a server.

This doesn't seem as userfriendly as the previous method, as users have to sign in twice.

I can't see any anouncements about a change and wanted find out some more info.

TIA

Untitled.thumb.png.468f67f86cffbbc969f19d5c6b92bae7.png

Hi, unfortunately there isn't much choice. What's happening is we're getting hit with takedown requests over content on people's servers because when you see emby.media in the browser address bar it makes look like the content is coming from us.

So we have to make sure the browser address bar shows your domain in order to make this clear.

We will definitely look at making it more user friendly though to avoid the double login.

New issue that I couldn't find via search.

I've got a server running - tried on latest beta (4.6.0.6) and now on stable (4.5.3.0), running on docker

Everytime I log in via app.emby.media, or any of the people I'm sharing with, they get a pop up message to redirect to my server IP address.RrVof92.png

This blocks logging in via apps as the user needs to manually input the IP - a bit of a pain. Also, it prevents the user to quickly swap servers if they are in multiple servers.

What I've done so far:

- Logs don't say anything

- I've checked the emby connect guide - no success

- Downgrade emby to stable - no success

- Deleted + re-added emby connect users, including admin - no success

- Deleted device.txt file - nothing.

I've rotated the log file and trigger the event on debug mode. It's attached.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Edited by Ricas13
Add more info. Log attached

aptalca

Hi,

@aptalca

I have two emby servers reverse proxied through different domains and I used to be able to access both through app.emby.media and switch between the two.

I just noticed yesterday that when I try to access on of those through the app.emby.media address, I get a pop up telling me that I'm being redirected to another domain and it launches the webapp of that server via the domain I own and reverse proxy that server through.

The other server on the other hand, opens just fine via app.emby.media and there is no redirect to its separate domain.

My first question is why it's affecting one server and not the other, and second question is, how I can get app.emby.media to load both servers so I can switch between the two like I used to.

Thanks

METCHMTET

Previously I connected to my server using the address app.emby.media from the update they sent, I get the following message which I attach in image format.

How can I solve this problem since it always asks me to enter the address of my server.

@METCHMTET

20201205_110649.jpg

aptalca
On 12/5/2020 at 8:54 AM, Luke said:

Hi, unfortunately there isn't much choice. What's happening is we're getting hit with takedown requests over content on people's servers because when you see emby.media in the browser address bar it makes look like the content is coming from us.

So we have to make sure the browser address bar shows your domain in order to make this clear.

We will definitely look at making it more user friendly though to avoid the double login.

Ok, I understand the reasoning behind it. But how come it's only happening on one of my servers and not the other? Is it because one's local and one's remote? Or does that mean there was a takedown request for my server? Not sure how that would be possible with auth and all. No one else has access to it but me.

Is it because one's local and one's remote?

Exactly. Once you connect to the server on the same local network as the server machine, then it will be allowed.

• Like 1

KS-Media

Hello,

Recently, when I access my server via emby connect login, I got redirected and got the prompt as in the attached image. It only happens while accessing from the browser (chrome/edge). Never had this prompt before.  

rGhIUh8yBs.png

Edited by KS-Media

primeflix
On 12/5/2020 at 1:54 PM, Luke said:

Hi Luke,

I thought that might be the case.

I wonder how Plex get around this, as they must have the same problem?

Thanks for the reply

They have a little more knowledge of what's on your server, this a greater ability to block servers as needed. We don't collect any information so we don't have that.

Radiance76

In the past when I would log in to Emby connect via the browser,  I would be able to connect to the server without any notifications or exposure to my server's IP. It was as though emby would keep the web URL hashed.

Now when I updated my server, I notice that after i log in with my Emby connect ID, I am presented with a page that advises i am going to be redirected to server with the IP visible and the port that I will connect on (emby is installed with docker).

when did this change occur and how to I remove this information page from being presented?

I do not want any users that logs in via emby connect through a browser to see the server details.

thanks,

emby.png

Hi everyone,

I've been using emby for more than 2 years now and I'm more than happy. However since few days I'm not able to use app.emby.media anymore.

Indeed, since few days, when I log myself using my Emby Connect account a popup appears indicating me that I'm going to be redirect to the url of my server. You will find in attachement the exact message. After beeing redirected I can read content without any issue on my server but I'm not anymore on app.emby.media but on my own url.

I've tested using Chrome and Firefox, with my Ubuntu/Windows laptop and my Android phone.

As I was suspecting a version conflict between my emby server and the emby web app, I've updated my server to the latest version (4.5.3.0) but the problem still appears.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if it has been already discussed elsewhere

Capture d’écran de 2020-12-07 22-20-51.png

35 minutes ago, Needlex said:

Hi everyone,

I've been using emby for more than 2 years now and I'm more than happy. However since few days I'm not able to use app.emby.media anymore.

Indeed, since few days, when I log myself using my Emby Connect account a popup appears indicating me that I'm going to be redirect to the url of my server. You will find in attachement the exact message. After beeing redirected I can read content without any issue on my server but I'm not anymore on app.emby.media but on my own url.

I've tested using Chrome and Firefox, with my Ubuntu/Windows laptop and my Android phone.

As I was suspecting a version conflict between my emby server and the emby web app, I've updated my server to the latest version (4.5.3.0) but the problem still appears.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if it has been already discussed elsewhere

Capture d’écran de 2020-12-07 22-20-51.png

Hi.  There is no problem here.  This is expected behavior now.

Yea but just in case my response from earlier was missed, I will improve it so that it gets you right in without extra clicks and without a second logon process.

Radiance76

sounds good. I am just concerned that if anyone is snooping around and they come across that page... they get direct information about my server and the port as well.

10 minutes ago, Radiance76 said:

sounds good. I am just concerned that if anyone is snooping around and they come across that page... they get direct information about my server and the port as well.

The only way they are going to ever see that is after they have already logged into your server, which means you already know who they are. It's not something anyone will ever see anonymously.

1 minute ago, METCHMTET said:

in the end what is the answer to this new login method, they will go back to the old one oh how can it be fixed.

It will be improved to eliminate the extra clicks and the second login. Thanks for the feedback.

crusher11
17 hours ago, Luke said:

The only way they are going to ever see that is after they have already logged into your server, which means you already know who they are. It's not something anyone will ever see anonymously.

So how is this affected by takedown requests then? 

3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

So how is this affected by takedown requests then? 

Because, when using the online web app our domain is no longer is in the browser address bar.  As it was, it looked like we were hosting everyone's content.

crusher11

Right, but if it's not an issue until you're logged in, and thus a party known to the server owner...where are these takedown requests coming from, and who's getting confused by the contents of the address bar?

I assume there's zero impact on those who avoid Emby Connect, right?

I assume there's zero impact on those who avoid Emby Connect, right?

Correct.

where are these takedown requests coming from, and who's getting confused by the contents of the address bar?

From content owners. When you see emby.media in the browser address bar it can fool you into thinking that Emby is serving the content.

crusher11

Right, but if this doesn't affect anything until after you've logged in, and therefore are known to the server owner, how are content owners getting access?