Jump to content

Does the Emby application for LG Smart TV's Web OS require Emby Premiere?


Recommended Posts

Hello people!

I have a server at home home with Emby running and a couple of movies and TV series. Will I need to purchase Emby Premiere to watch them, or is it free indefinetely?

Thanks. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
garciaguitar
On 12/7/2020 at 7:39 PM, Luke said:

Hi, for basic media, no, but you will need Emby Premiere if you use Live TV.

And you must wait 10 second for buy premier every time every day every play before. Why?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
garciaguitar
On 1/2/2021 at 10:18 PM, richardvrusso said:

Is there a $5 unlock option for the LG TV app?

Where? Please.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well this is frustrating.

1. Nowhere it says that a client application should and will nag about premium subscription. Also no information about how often it's going to happen. "No nags" is not even a listed feature of the subscription. I believe it should be explained here https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix and here https://emby.media/premiere.html

2. The pricing is outrageous, even though I understand it's not much for some people. But whoever came up with it has no idea about appropriate regional pricing. For ~$5 at my place I can get a premium TV/movies subscription with HD/4k quality. For ~$1 I can get a TV subscription with HD quality.

3. Emby server/client does not provide any content. Yet a non-paying user is going to be nagged about premium subscription, just like another user who have been paying for several months but stopped.

4. I will not be paying $5 each month. Not even one month, already because I will be nagged even after you get my money. Let the client application hear me - I will not pay, and you get nothing from me waiting for another 10 seconds, except more of my anger and frustration. I hate to pay even for Android apps, but I'm more likely to pay one time to disable ads and nags in some Android app that I like.

Edited by lguser000
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lguser000 said:

Well this is frustrating.

1. Nowhere it says that a client application should and will nag about premium subscription. Also no information about how often it's going to happen. "No nags" is not even a listed feature of the subscription. I believe it should be explained here https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix and here https://emby.media/premiere.html

2. The pricing is outrageous, even though I understand it's not much for some people. But whoever came up with it has no idea about appropriate regional pricing. For ~$5 at my place I can get a premium TV/movies subscription with HD/4k quality. For ~$1 I can get a TV subscription with HD quality.

3. Emby server/client does not provide any content. Yet a non-paying user is going to be nagged about premium subscription, just like another user who have been paying for several months but stopped.

4. I will not be paying $5 each month. Not even one month, already because I will be nagged even after you get my money. Let the client application hear me - I will not pay, and you get nothing from me waiting for another 10 seconds, except more of my anger and frustration. I hate to pay even for Android apps, but I'm more likely to pay one time to disable ads and nags in some Android app that I like.

I was only referring to the ONE time $5 fee to unlock the app. As is the case with the Fire TV version. Not a priemer subscription. Not really sure the long life story on your position on paying for things and your geographical content availability is relevant. 🤔

If you have a ton of personal content be it legal or illegal ::wink wink:: $5 is not even the cost of 1 blu-ray. Or, you could install Kodi with the emby plugin and pay $0 one-time and forever. Sorry Luke! 😉 I use both methods anyway. If someone has no content what's the point of even using Emby? Sorry again Luke. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, richardvrusso said:

I was only referring to the ONE time $5 fee to unlock the app. As is the case with the Fire TV version. Not a priemer subscription. Not really sure the long life story on your position on paying for things and your geographical content availability is relevant. 🤔

If you have a ton of personal content be it legal or illegal ::wink wink:: $5 is not even the cost of 1 blu-ray. Or, you could install Kodi with the emby plugin and pay $0 one-time and forever. Sorry Luke! 😉 I use both methods anyway. If someone has no content what's the point of even using Emby? Sorry again Luke. 😁

That's also my point if you read my text. There is no option to pay one time to unlock the functionality. Even if the functionality is as simple as "disable nag screens". Therefore they expect us to pay for subscription, and have nags disabled as long as they get money from us.

It's not about content being legal or not. I'm telling that I can have a subscription with high quality legal content for the same price, curated and updated regularly. I should not be asked to pay the same price in order to stream my own content on my own TV. Yes, I appreciate the ability to use nice server and client software applications, and I may be okay with a one time donation that unlocks extra features. But instead I'm being asked to pay for a subscription, otherwise I will be seeing nag screens with undisclosed frequency.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:43 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, I apologize for the frustration. We work very hard on emby and we thank you for your support.

No offense. You seem to use this sentence quite often here. My guess is that users expect to hear something else, something more detailed or more honest. For example

"Sorry, we are going to solve this soon, please follow this topic to get notified when it's done."

or

"Sorry, we have no plans to change current behavior. Please consider paying for subscription."

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lguser000 said:

That's also my point if you read my text. There is no option to pay one time to unlock the functionality. Even if the functionality is as simple as "disable nag screens". Therefore they expect us to pay for subscription, and have nags disabled as long as they get money from us.

It's not about content being legal or not. I'm telling that I can have a subscription with high quality legal content for the same price, curated and updated regularly. I should not be asked to pay the same price in order to stream my own content on my own TV. Yes, I appreciate the ability to use nice server and client software applications, and I may be okay with a one time donation that unlocks extra features. But instead I'm being asked to pay for a subscription, otherwise I will be seeing nag screens with undisclosed frequency.

No offense. You seem to use this sentence quite often here. My guess is that users expect to hear something else, something more detailed or more honest. For example

"Sorry, we are going to solve this soon, please follow this topic to get notified when it's done."

or

"Sorry, we have no plans to change current behavior. Please consider paying for subscription."

Is this a real post? You are really moaning because of many hours work (research, code, test) and expect it for free? Lets all work for free. yay that will pay the bills.

Get a life and either pay or get another product if you think you can. Or create one yourself then you'll soon see how hard it all is.

I paid a lifetime subscription, there are some things on the LG app and Apple app that are not complete as the other apps, but overall the cost was low seeing as I use the apps every day of the week. You don't have to have an ongoing monthly one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, unisoft said:

Is this a real post? You are really moaning because of many hours work (research, code, test) and expect it for free? Lets all work for free. yay that will pay the bills.

Get a life and either pay or get another product if you think you can. Or create one yourself then you'll soon see how hard it all is.

I paid a lifetime subscription, there are some things on the LG app and Apple app that are not complete as the other apps, but overall the cost was low seeing as I use the apps every day of the week. You don't have to have an ongoing monthly one.

I'm sorry if any of that sounded rude? I'm not moaning. Many hours of work is what I totally understand. Am I expecting it for free? That would have been great, sure. But really, having it for free with certain details hidden is not a very good deal. I was told I can have a "Full Playback" on my LG TV. I was not told that there will be nags. I was not told how often I'm going to see them. I was not present with an option to get rid of those nags without paying a monthly subscription that is clearly not priced properly in some regions. I was not told if it was going to ever change.

I'm glad that someone is able to pay $120 for a lifetime license. I'm not going to be able to afford that much, considering it's a software license tied to 3rd party servers that can shut down randomly and permanently (or can get a random permanent block from my government).

You can suggest me to get a life, to get a job, to get a better country, any time you like. But it won't solve similar issues for everyone affected.

I see 2 possible things to make it less of a problem:

1. Disable the nag screen in the client application for affected platforms until a proper way of removing it permanently via one time transaction is implemented for those platforms.

2. Come up with a proper regional pricing to make your software affordable. For me, current price tag is the same as a "we don't want your money" tag.

Also, informing users about nag screen would be great.

Just in case. No, I'm not asking to follow my advice. Just sharing thoughts about how this can be solved properly, in case creators have any interest in listening to users' opinions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
richardvrusso

Okay I think people can chill with the getting of life's and whatnot. If we had lives we wouldn't need Emby to occupy our time. Sorry Luke!!! Third time. 🤣🤣🤣

Perhaps there are some good points above? Maybe a little more transparency in the EULA?... Idk tbh I have not read it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites

But the decision was made by Emby team to NOT have a one time purchase unlock for LG app and a couple of others. The poster is asking (demanding) for something that was not in their strategic choice, the same as no regional pricing thus far. Regional pricing may help others buy in a more cheaper currency and lose revenue though unless extra complexity/cost to emby.

Its like me asking for HD or UHD content for no further charges from my cable company - the offering from them is plain, pay more or go elsewhere if you think competition offers better.

Perhaps it could be explained in more detail  (nag screen for example)in EULA or download feature comparison pages https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix

Based on full $119 lifetime purchase over 52 weeks that is like $2.28. That is less than one cup of Starbucks/Costa/Cafe Nero/Dunkin' Latte per week, and once you've paid you have no rolling monthly charge and for all types of devices supported. Sometimes, Emby even do offers at $99 though this is at most once a year, and you get free updates to supported server and client.

Edited by unisoft
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, unisoft said:

But the decision was made by Emby team to NOT have a one time purchase unlock for LG app and a couple of others

A marketplace to make that purchase has to exist for that to be possible and, when an app is running on a particular platform, that platform vendor demands that you use their marketplace.  Then they take a lion's share of the revenue.  So, unfortunately, this simply isn't practical for us on every platform.

16 hours ago, lguser000 said:

Come up with a proper regional pricing to make your software affordable

We are very sorry that the conversion rates are unfavorable but, unfortunately, what you are asking there is for us to reduce our price to something that is "unaffordable" by us in our country.

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, unisoft said:

Regional pricing may help others buy in a more cheaper currency and lose revenue though unless extra complexity/cost to emby.

When implemented properly, regional pricing does not cause to lose revenue, but enables actual positive revenue in affected regions.

8 hours ago, ebr said:

A marketplace to make that purchase has to exist for that to be possible and, when an app is running on a particular platform, that platform vendor demands that you use their marketplace.  Then they take a lion's share of the revenue.  So, unfortunately, this simply isn't practical for us on every platform.

Do you mean that developers made it impossible to pay one time to remove the ads because LG marketplace would then require a certain cut from such transactions? And it's impossible to introduce a separate license scheme for people who just want to remove the nag screen?

8 hours ago, ebr said:

We are very sorry that the conversion rates are unfavorable but, unfortunately, what you are asking there is for us to reduce our price to something that is "unaffordable" by us in our country.

I couldn't understand this sentence. But regional pricing has little to do with conversation rates. It seems not many people understand what regional pricing is really about.

Maybe you meant that in order to provide any regional pricing you'd have to spend too much resources to implement a system that would allow it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...