New Emby connect Process?

primeflix

4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Right, but if this doesn't affect anything until after you've logged in, and therefore are known to the server owner, how are content owners getting access? 

By signing up or being alerted by someone who did.  They hire rafts of lawyers to seek out abuse to protect their content.

21 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

But you can't just sign up without being approved by the server owner, right? 

Right but when you're running a large server and selling access to it, sooner or later word will get around.

On 12/9/2020 at 2:20 PM, crusher11 said:

So this is basically people using their servers as Pirate Netflix and being really loose with their security?

This changes is to help in all regards to things of this nature. This puts the problem and take down notices on those causing the issue and not on Emby who isn't responsible for the content violations.

crusher11

Right, I'm just trying to figure out if there's some sort of security issue I should be concerned about, but from what @Luke said it only seems to affect people who are being idiots.

Not any security issue for you.  It's to help make it clear the domains or IPs of people violating Emby's TOS and copyright violations.

crusher11

The presence of the message wasn't a concern, it was the fact that so many rights holders were discovering the contents of servers. 

crusher11

It was enough that you felt it worth your time making the change, which means it's happened more than once. It really shouldn't happen ever, so even twice is a lot. 

Of course because the team needs to protect it's property and everything it's done for the sake of us all. The last thing anyone needs is Emby showing up on the web in any fashion linked to a pirate site.  That's not good for any of us. It's bad in general and could have consequences in the different stores where most people get their apps.

The last thing you want to do is give a store a reason to reject your software for any reason and this is one reason that can't be tolerated, end of story. This change is good in so many respects but will be even better when Luke has it working as single sign on again for web.

Canaletto

Hello!

For some time now when I connect to Emby Connect I get this popup splash... Before it wasn't the case.

Moreover the server url is now visible.

Is there a way around this?

My server connects via Cloudflare, is there a way around that? How do I get around it?

Thanks

image.png.6523a5c004767fb477c40c3937393dab.png

Edited by Canaletto

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Canaletto said:

Hello!

For some time now when I connect to Emby Connect I get this popup splash... Before it wasn't the case.

Moreover the server url is now visible.

Is there a way around this?

My server connects via Cloudflare, is there a way around that? How do I get around it?

Thanks

image.png.6523a5c004767fb477c40c3937393dab.png

Merged with existing topic

Please review this topic.

Canaletto

I understand the problem...

If it should be mandatory to display a warning in the form of a popup, it would still be interesting that once connected the server url does not appear in the address bar... And to keep app.emby.media

1 hour ago, Canaletto said:

And to keep app.emby.media

That is 100% exactly what we are trying to avoid now.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Canaletto said:

A big thank you for your work!

Hi.  I think you misunderstood him.  The point of this change is for the url shown to be the correct location of the media and not our url.  Why do you want it to be different?

• Like 1

Canaletto
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I think you misunderstood him.  The point of this change is for the url shown to be the correct location of the media and not our url.  Why do you want it to be different?

Simply because it's cleaner and it's not confusing for novice users who will ask me why the address changes.

1 hour ago, Canaletto said:

Simply because it's cleaner and it's not confusing for novice users who will ask me why the address changes.

Keep in mind you can use a DDNS provider or register your own domain and point it at your server.
Then it won't change and the user can have something simple like http://yourdomain.ext

aptalca

I mean, if the only way the DMCA would be issued is if some lawyer somehow got access to someone's private server and logged in through emby connect, wouldn't the proper solution be to blacklist that server on emby connect and do the redirect for the servers on the blacklist? I mean that way you can easily say you complied with the DMCA. Also, with proper access control (which emby already enforces by default), I don't believe this would be a widespread issue. Please don't punish all the users just because a few idiots are selling access and/or are unable to properly secure their private content.

This redirect really devalues emby connect on the web. I can no longer "switch" from server to server as it's all specific server url based.

Lawyers and researchers get access quite easily by buying an illegal subscription to services selling access and violating copyrights. For them it's basically like signing up for Hulu or Netflix.  Previously they would see the "Emby" domain in a browser and those not familiar with software such as Plex or Emby would send the DMCA to the wrong company.

The way this is NOW being redirected will greatly reduce and/or stop Emby from receiving DMCA notices and having to spend time replying to such companies informing them we do not supply content at any time and that they sent the notice to the wrong party.

Anyone using Emby for the intention it was designed for like friends and family has no worries at all because you the admin controls access to your system. No one is going to know what media is on your server unless you tell them.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about the devalue of Emby Connect.  You can still switch servers.  Keep in mind as Luke mentioned this is just step one and it will be improved.

For those hiding behind the Emby brand and knowing Emby would get the DMCA takedown instead of the host of the content. For those knowingly and flagrantly flogging the law. You know who you are. If you are not them you have nothing to worry about. If you are them knock it off and get straight about where the content comes to your customers. It isn't Emby providing those streams. Emby is like the person who delivers your mail. Just because illegal things are sent via the mail doesn't make the mail carrier a criminal. This is just correctly putting the return address on the envelope before delivery. Nothing more. Have a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. ^_^

FYI: The biggest criminal enterprises exist in the inbox of your email. If only email had correct return addresses the world would be a better place.

Edited by speechles

aptalca
On 12/14/2020 at 2:34 PM, cayars said:

I'm not sure I understand your comment about the devalue of Emby Connect.  You can still switch servers.  Keep in mind as Luke mentioned this is just step one and it will be improved.

When connected to emby gui via my own domain in the browser, I don't have the "switch server" option as it's only aware of itself, not other servers.

My two servers are published on different domains. app.emby.media was aware of both and provided me with the switch server option. Going to each individually via domain does not allow that.

If using your own domain directly then you're not using Emby Connect so there would be no domain switch.

Happy2Play

Yes I can see this as a issue as the linked domains can no longer be hidden behind one connection.  So no switching servers via one connection anymore.