Direct play algorithm to lowest quality, (Multiple Version)

gokuz

Just now, crusher11 said:

Because that's what "limit" means, FFS. 

Yes its a limit for transcoding which is not the issue. I would like to get direct play lowest quality.

pünktchen

The real problem is you want two contrary things. On the one hand you want to direct play higher bitrate movies, on the other hand you are moaning about mobile data usage when Emby chooses to direct play the better quality tv episodes that are perfectly under your max. bandwith limit and only have half of the bitrate of your movies. That doesn't makes any sense. What's more important for you? Data usage or quality? It's one or the other and will determine if it transcodes or direct plays.

crusher11
30 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Yes its a limit for transcoding which is not the issue. I would like to get direct play lowest quality.

It's a limit for data transfer. 

sooty234

Ok, so let's understand the parameters that you want.

Where you have multiple versions, you want the server to detect when something is being played on a mobile device and automatically choose the the lowest bitrate version? Is that correct? And you would like an option in the user config to enable that? Is this correct? 

1 hour ago, pünktchen said:

The real problem is you want two contrary things. On the one hand you want to direct play higher bitrate movies, on the other hand you are moaning about mobile data usage when Emby chooses to direct play the better quality tv episodes that are perfectly under your max. bandwith limit and only have half of the bitrate of your movies. That doesn't makes any sense. What's more important for you? Data usage or quality? It's one or the other and will determine if it transcodes or direct plays.

Looks like another compromise solution. Paying monthly is nothing now.

Edited by gokuz

1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

It's a limit for data transfer. 

That's the other option, where you have to type the limit. So no, that's not data transfer.

Edited by gokuz

1 hour ago, sooty234 said:

Ok, so let's understand the parameters that you want.

Where you have multiple versions, you want the server to detect when something is being played on a mobile device and automatically choose the the lowest bitrate version? Is that correct? And you would like an option in the user config to enable that? Is this correct? 

You can leave out the detect mobile part. See the title of this post 

sooty234

But as your main concern is mobile data, that would be the only way to achieve what you want. If you had a user that had a device at home and mobile devices that roamed on mobile data, you can't apply the same logic cover both scenarios in the way that you want. You'd have to differentiate. The current system certainly can't do it, even though you think it can.

Edited by sooty234

4 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

But as your main concern is mobile data, that would be the only way to achieve what you want. If you had a user that had a device at home and mobile devices that roamed on mobile data, you can apply the same logic cover both scenarios in the way that you want. You'd have to differentiate. The current system certainly can't do it, even though you think it can.

If you had read through the whole thread, you would know you can already do that now. Its called home network quality and internet quality.

Its just the 2 versions seems to be broken. As someone who likes emby and supports its, Hope emby fixes it, this flaw is too great 

Edited by gokuz

sooty234

Right, but that's an in app setting. Tell your users how to set them and you should have what you want. But I was understanding that you wanted to do this at the server level. No?

Just now, sooty234 said:

Right, but that's an in app setting. Tell your users how to set them and you should have what you want. But I was understanding that you wanted to do this at the server level. No?

No, please read through. i gave illustrations to make it as clear as possible. Seems like you didn't read any.

sooty234
Just now, gokuz said:

No, please read through. i gave illustrations to make it as clear as possible. Seems like you didn't read any.

I have, and you think it can do something that it can't.

Just now, sooty234 said:

Oh but you're talking about remote users, right? Then the in network setting doesn't apply to them.

Ok you're basically trolling right now, give a solution or try not to troll.

Happy2Play

If dev/admin and users are just trolling in your opinion, then obviously no one truly understands what you what Emby to do that it currently does not do.

Just now, Happy2Play said:

If dev/admin and users are just trolling in your opinion, then obviously no one truly understands what you what Emby to do that it currently does not do.

Its just him.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, gokuz said:

Its just him.

But you said the exact same thing to Luke the Admin/Dev.  So obviously there is miss communication and understanding of what you expect.

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But you said the exact same thing to Luke the Admin/Dev.  So obviously there is miss communication and understanding of what you expect.

No, i didn't call anyone else a troll. Stop putting words in my mouth that i didn't say. Can you honestly read his comments and tell me he's not trolling.

Edited by gokuz

I understand what he wants, but we just don't have a way to vary the quality setting based on what you're playing.

Happy2Play
Just now, gokuz said:

Can you honestly read his comments and tell me he's not trolling.

Personally I would say no because I truly don't understand the process you are wanting.  I could ask and re-ask all the same questions and thoughts.

Just now, Luke said:

I understand what he wants, but we just don't have a way to vary the quality setting based on what you're playing.

Thanks for clarifying. Hope you do this in the future then.

GrimReaper

I think I get what he wants, a "breachable" bandwidth limit: if multi-version media has a version with bitrate lower than the limiter - direct play that one, if not - direct play lowest one, even if it is above threshold. 

4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Literally nobody understands what you want, dude. 

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Personally I would say no because I truly don't understand the process you are wanting.  I could ask and re-ask all the same questions and thoughts.

Try to read the thread if you don't understand. Luke does. And i hope this gets implemented in the future. This flaw is honestly quite bad.

1 minute ago, GrimReaper76 said:

I think I get what he wants, a "breachable" bandwidth limit: if multi-version media has a version with bitrate lower than the limiter - direct play that one, if not - direct play lowest one, even if it is above threshold. 

Thank you. This is exactly it.